Is A "Perfect Score" Attainable?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
kteague

Re: Is A "Perfect Score" Attainable?

Post by kteague » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:08 pm

Sleeping Ugly wrote: I don't have to use the bathroom much during the day. I have had medical tests to determine if the nocturia was caused by something else. It's logical it was sleep apnea. I don't know why it still continues with good therapy. it certainly is MUCH better, however!
If I take my "water pill" too late in the day its effect will intrude upon my sleep. Another thing I've noticed is that the more leg swelling I go to bed with, the more bathroom trips I'll have. The swelling goes down as I sleep and that flushed water has to go somewhere.

Holden4th

Post by Holden4th » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:15 am

I've had two 0.00 nights. Both times I questioned it but in the end accepted that it happened. The latest was about four weeks ago and now that my scores are regularly below 1.0 it will probably happen again. That said, I don't see it as the holy grail of xPAP therapy.

Sleeping Ugly

Post by Sleeping Ugly » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:52 am

Holden4th wrote:....That said, I don't see it as the holy grail of xPAP therapy.
I don't think anyone does.
CPAP Therapy: providing restful and restorative sleep, while making you LOOK like you haven't had ANY! --me

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:32 am

Sleeping Ugly wrote:
Holden4th wrote:....That said, I don't see it as the holy grail of xPAP therapy.
I don't think anyone does.
IF not CPAP.....what is? If one has OSA, the choices seem to be an Oral appliance, Surgery, CPAP or ignore the diagnosis and take your chances. CPAP has proven to be the "holy grail" for most.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:54 am

LSAT wrote:IF not CPAP.....what is? If one has OSA, the choices seem to be an Oral appliance, Surgery, CPAP or ignore the diagnosis and take your chances. CPAP has proven to be the "holy grail" for most.
LSAT I don't think they were referring to CPAP but instead referring to getting a nice perfect 0.0 AHI and numbers on the report as not being the holy grail.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Sleeping Ugly

Post by Sleeping Ugly » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:30 am

Pugsy wrote:
LSAT wrote:IF not CPAP.....what is? If one has OSA, the choices seem to be an Oral appliance, Surgery, CPAP or ignore the diagnosis and take your chances. CPAP has proven to be the "holy grail" for most.
LSAT I don't think they were referring to CPAP but instead referring to getting a nice perfect 0.0 AHI and numbers on the report as not being the holy grail.
Correct. I am probably to blame on my editing of the quote. The reference was as Pugsy reiterated--that Holden4th's statement was that getting a perfect 0.0 AHI was not the Holy Grail of xpap therapy.
CPAP Therapy: providing restful and restorative sleep, while making you LOOK like you haven't had ANY! --me

Bill44133

Post by Bill44133 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:02 pm

Sleeping Ugly wrote:I have been on CPAP therapy for about 2 months now. Mainly through this site, I have found how to improve my therapy with adjustments/features to the point that I now have almost perfect numbers. It's been weeks since I have had either a CA or obstructive airway apnea. I have a smattering of hyponeas--most nights as few as 2-3 and my VS's are averaging 2-5. Last night I only had one RERA and 2 flow limitations.

I am well aware that everyone is different--medications, medical problems, weight, masks, machines, sleeping positions, etc. All the variables I am aware of.

My question is: Do you think it possible to ever achieve the "prefect score?" All O's? No CA or OA, no hyponeas, no VS, no RERA's, etc. ?

Is it a unicorn or has anyone ever had the perfect night? (UHHH--RELATED TO CPAP THERAPY)!! LOL
Yes the "perfect score" is attainable. I have severe sleep apnea; tested AHI 140 at my sleep study. I decided early on that if I have to sleep with this machine I was going to maximize my therapy make the most of it.
With the help of the forum I have. Below are screen shots of my 4 day steak of "Perfect Score".

I wish you well..

Additional Comments: Settings are IPap 23 EPap 19

TedVPAP

Post by TedVPAP » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:15 pm

SunnyBeBe wrote:It's good to compare notes, because, now I'm wondering if I should bump my pressure up just a notch to get a perfect score all the time, but.......I may just leave it.

Bathroom trips were HORRIBLE for me before my treatment. So, even though, my numbers weren't that bad, my bathroom trips were. I no longer have that problem and in fact, normally go all night with no bathroom trip, EVEN though, I drink a lot of fluids and go a lot in the day. (Med I'm on. Long story.)

I just started taking Melatonin. I can't tell it really. I think I may need a higher dose.

My goal is to get uninterrupted sleep. Sometimes, that is possible and I LOVE IT, but, I am sometimes awakened by my Continuous Glucose Monitor. It alerts me if my blood sugar is too high or too low. So, I'm okay, if that will not go off. But, I a light sleeper and outside noises will awake me.
If you have not yet done so, start a thread where you post your data (see the 3 links below) and then maybe the forum can help you improve your treatment.

Additional Comments: AutoPAP 16-20, Ultimate Chin Strap http://sleepapneasolutionsinc.com/
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment:
how to see your data https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead
how to present your data https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize
how to post your data https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

Captain_Midnight

Post by Captain_Midnight » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:27 pm

Yup

About once every couple of weeks I get a 0.0.

For background, my average AHI is 0.2. And for reference, during my sleep study titration, it was over 30, IIRC.

You can do this (or nearly so) as well!

Sleeping Ugly

Post by Sleeping Ugly » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:57 am

I raised my minimum pressure last night up another .5 to 8.5 and got................drum roll..................my first PERFECT score! LOL! Ta da! Do I feel any different compared to a 0.5? Nah.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:18 am

Sleeping Ugly wrote:I raised my minimum pressure last night up another .5 to 8.5 and got................drum roll..................my first PERFECT score! LOL! Ta da! Do I feel any different compared to a 0.5? Nah.
At least you can give yourself shoulder strain patting yourself on the back.

So now you know it is attainable...but you also know it doesn't necessarily mean you feel any different and why we don't harp on perfect numbers to much.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:44 am

If you collect your nightly AHI data and plot it on a graph against your nightly average pressure, you can find your optimal pressure setting(s) for attaining the "perfect score" as often as possible.

What you will end up when you have collected enough data (a month or two?), is a "U"-shape curve like the one pictured above (just substitute the word pressure for sleep and the vertical red up arrows for increasing AHI). That's how I found my optimal pressure about 10 years ago and have averaged 0.4 AHI for about a decade with "perfect scores" of zero AHI at least 2 or 3 times a week. Has madea huge difference in my life after first being diagnosed with 102 AHI and 60% O2 saturations (The Walking Dead zombies had more life in them than I did).
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

Sleeping Ugly

Post by Sleeping Ugly » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:23 am

Pugsy wrote:
Sleeping Ugly wrote:I raised my minimum pressure last night up another .5 to 8.5 and got................drum roll..................my first PERFECT score! LOL! Ta da! Do I feel any different compared to a 0.5? Nah.
At least you can give yourself shoulder strain patting yourself on the back.

So now you know it is attainable...but you also know it doesn't necessarily mean you feel any different and why we don't harp on perfect numbers to much.
Yes, my arm is sore from patting myself on the back. And I totally understand what you are saying about the numbers.

Sleeping Ugly

Post by Sleeping Ugly » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:29 am

DreamStalker wrote:If you collect your nightly AHI data and plot it on a graph against your nightly average pressure, you can find your optimal pressure setting(s) for attaining the "perfect score" as often as possible.

What you will end up when you have collected enough data (a month or two?), is a "U"-shape curve like the one pictured above (just substitute the word pressure for sleep and the vertical red up arrows for increasing AHI). That's how I found my optimal pressure about 10 years ago and have averaged 0.4 AHI for about a decade with "perfect scores" of zero AHI at least 2 or 3 times a week. Has madea huge difference in my life after first being diagnosed with 102 AHI and 60% O2 saturations (The Walking Dead zombies had more life in them than I did).
Yes, I think I found the "sweet spot" on my pressure now.

Your "before" numbers are--WOW! I know mine was bad at 62 AHI an hour and 75% 02. Yours takes the cake (if you would have even had the energy to eat!).