Traveling with an ASV Machine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
StuUnderPressure

Re: Traveling with an ASV Machine

Post by StuUnderPressure » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:44 pm

Kiralynx wrote:I should note that I have a Calamari
Do you still need an extension cord with your Calamari if the outlet is too far away?

Just how long is the Calamari?

A link to the exact one you have would be appreciated.

SD Card Formatter 5.0.2 https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/format ... index.html

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:52 pm

StuUnderPressure wrote:
Do you still need an extension cord with your Calamari if the outlet is too far away?

Just how long is the Calamari?

A link to the exact one you have would be appreciated.
I believe it's about six feet. I use one at home, which runs from the side wall around and up over my nightstand.

http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/greg-galitz ... eview.html

is a review of it. Gosh, I don't even know if they MAKE them any more. I'm doomed if anything happens to my two! There are some available on eBay, though.

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:29 pm

Kiralynx wrote: Cat shows must be interesting! I haven't had the opportunity to attend one, but I do love Maine Coon Cats.
They are fun if you enjoy cats. Very different from dog shows. It is also funny to mention cat shows to people. You can almost see the thought bubble with cats running around a ring like the dogs do. And no, they don't. The judges do one cat at a time on a table. If you (or anybody) wants to attend a show, just send me a PM, and I can help you find one near you. I go to many shows in the NW, and I travel on occasion. The Florida show will be next September. Tons of Ragdolls there (the reason I am going).

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

Uncle Flapp

Post by Uncle Flapp » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:30 pm

Okay, I'll chime in. I've spent each week of the last month travelling - off to Atlanta for a week; Atlanta to Miami for a night; Miami to Lima plus 7 days darting across Peru before coming back home; home to St. Louis and back; and another trip to St. Louis arriving back just today. I look forward to spending some time in my own bed. During all that time, my ASV travelled with me. Here is what I do:

PRS1 960 ASV goes in the travel bag that came with the machine along with the power supply, my hose, Airfit P10, and a 6' extension cord. That bag gets zipped up and placed in the bottom half of my Samsonite Spinner carry-on.
In the top half of that suitcase goes my CPAP pillow. Last but not least, my work laptop is placed on top. The outside pockets store my iPad, headphones, charging cables, USB power supply, and portable phone charger.

For the humidifier, I just buy bottled drinking water when at my destination. Never had a problem with scale since it is only a few days at a time.

Sounds like a lot but I'm in the routine and I find it easy-peasy. I'd have a carry-on for the electronics anyway. YMMV.

- Flappy

RestlessinWoolley

Post by RestlessinWoolley » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:22 pm

I am currently using the lamp next to the bed as my hanger. Made a loop of yarn to hold the hose above my head and hooked it to switch. And when I'm needing to hang the mask up I hang it off the finial on top of the shade. Lol. Did it at the Resort as well. The board info has an attachment to put a 3-6 foot extendable arm with a hook but it's a pain to pack it as it has its own bag. If I use the camera bag I can hook that arm to where the tripod holder would be. May end up building something off that so when I pack in my suitcase the bag and board can hook to my suitcase as well. I bought a nice heavy 20oz water bottle that won't leak to hold my distilled water that has a nice pour spout.

"I hate the word 'Handicapped' and 'Disabled'. They imply that you are less than whole don't see myself that way at all". ~Aimee Mullins

RestlessinWoolley

Post by RestlessinWoolley » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:27 pm

In a little over 2 weeks on the road now with the machine, I have discovered some rather interesting things. My usual AHI lately was a 1.0 at home, in my own bed a Queen Sleep Number C3 Set fairly firm 90, with one of their firm sculpted pillows. I've been sleeping in a soft, twin size for the most part on the trip, with my pillow and I cannot get comfortable on my right side as it's up against a wall, so I most of the time end up waking up on my back, in extreme pain. The last few nights, show very restless sleep, multiple centrals, and last night I had my highest AHI since changing to ASV a 5.2! on 8.3 Hours of sleep. Been looking over my sleep logs on Encore and on my handwritten notes, and I have to say beds, and firmness seem to make a huge difference. The few nights at the Resort sleeping in a California King, with their pillow, and the bed set on as firm as it would go, still softer than my own due to the pillowtop, my AHI averaged 1.9 the first night and 2.2 the second. No changes to humidity settings, Hose on 4/5 and Humidifier on 3 Adaptive Mode, other than the resort was at 4200 feet, vs 1200 where I am staying now and 70 feet ASL at home. So to some of you out there still struggling if you are on a soft bed, try a firmer bed, I would be curios to see if it helps someone else lower their numbers. I have to be on as firm as I can stand to keep as much pressure off the spine as possible, gets too soft and my pains skyrocket. Still have 2 more weeks hopefully, depending on how I can hold out so I will keep tracking progress, next week Ill be at a different location, and a different bed, so Ill have to track my numbers there as well.. Oh and my current location has 2 dogs, and 2 cats so I am doubling my allergy/ sinus meds to keep from filling my mask with snot..

"I hate the word 'Handicapped' and 'Disabled'. They imply that you are less than whole don't see myself that way at all". ~Aimee Mullins

RestlessinWoolley

Post by RestlessinWoolley » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:45 pm

[quote="Pugsy"]Hey there stranger..good to see you again.

I know it seems like the machine is huge but it really isn't. The DreamStation machines are just about the size of a small novel.
You should see the size of some of the older models...now those things are huge.

Like to see this small novel... but agreed, it is a lot smaller then the System One I had to borrow for a few nights when something locked up on my permanent machine, that was huge. My Unit is about 14" x 8" x 4", add in the power brick and its quite the machine. I really wanted the ResMed unit and my supplier even wanted me to have the ResMed as the support to them was better, but how my script was written it was for the DS's algorithm. I am still the only patient of my Sleep Doctors on a Respironics Unit, as a test and she is liking the results, and hat she sees on encore, vs a similar patient on the ResMed. That patient will be getting a DS after the first of the year. And it surprises me still that how uncommon the ASV is. My supplier still says I am the only one with one, and its caused a few issues at resupply as now twice they have sent a hose and filters for an System One ASV. That has been fixed, probably have a few years worth of filters now. already gave away all the S1s filters to a friend i workout with at the Y

Passport in-hand

Post by Passport in-hand » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:46 am

RESMED AIRCURVE 10 VAUTO
Nasal: Fisher and Paykel Eson 1
PAP user since 2014

RestlessinWoolley

Post by RestlessinWoolley » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:37 am

Great info Passport. My trip ended up getting cut short by 2 weeks sadly due to me getting really sick. Got home and back into my own bed and grandad the first night home was my adjustment night bit after a few weeks on the go and my AHI over 2 getting home and my AHI back down to a 1 seems to make a huge difference. Oddly even my centrals dropped as well so I may be on to something with at least me that mattress firmness and pillows may be doing something to my brain stem causing the increase. If I even soften up my bed a bit I can see changes on my counts.

I see my sleep doctor in December now, after 1 year on the machine I have been sleeping better, but I'm far from feeling the best I could. My nap percentage went from 100% needing a nap daily to 25%. So o still have work to do.