Traveling with an ASV Machine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
RestlessinWoolley

Traveling with an ASV Machine

Post by RestlessinWoolley » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:57 pm

Well I'm across the state from home for a few weeks, and while I am here, I am planning on a few over night trips within a 100 miles from where I'm staying. I have no issues packing it to my main destination, but for the short overnights it's been a royal pain to pack up the machine,my distilled water and my other CPAP gear, including my bedside board to hold my machine in case I don't have a decent table to set my machine on. To my knowledge I don't think anyone is making a ASV travel machine. But I really kinda need the humidity to keep my sinus passages open and usually drain the tank nightly in 7-8 hours of sleep.

Any tips from the pros on traveling with a big machine? At least I don't have to drag my Oxygen tank with me anymore.

And sadly yes I cannot go a night without my machine without some major issues. The one night I went without it, I was awoken by my Girlfriend And her mom because I was seriously gasping for breath and not responding. Paramedics was even called. My Spo2 had dipped below 75%. Paramedics hooked oxygen to my mask fitting and I rebounded fast, bit they left me on the oxygen at a low pressure till morning. Only reason why I didn't fire up the machine is I was so tired I had fallen asleep as I sat in the bed.. sleep Doc says I'm just going to be stuck on the machine for the rest of my life, the damage to my brain stem has been done thanks to 20+ years of pain meds and other meds as well as a new tumor in a bad location.

"I hate the word 'Handicapped' and 'Disabled'. They imply that you are less than whole don't see myself that way at all". ~Aimee Mullins

zoocrewphoto

Re: Traveling with an ASV Machine

Post by zoocrewphoto » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:24 am

RestlessinWoolley wrote:Well I'm across the state from home for a few weeks, and while I am here, I am planning on a few over night trips within a 100 miles from where I'm staying. I have no issues packing it to my main destination, but for the short overnights it's been a royal pain to pack up the machine,my distilled water and my other CPAP gear, including my bedside board to hold my machine in case I don't have a decent table to set my machine on. To my knowledge I don't think anyone is making a ASV travel machine. But I really kinda need the humidity to keep my sinus passages open and usually drain the tank nightly in 7-8 hours of sleep.

Any tips from the pros on traveling with a big machine? At least I don't have to drag my Oxygen tank with me anymore.

And sadly yes I cannot go a night without my machine without some major issues. The one night I went without it, I was awoken by my Girlfriend And her mom because I was seriously gasping for breath and not responding. Paramedics was even called. My Spo2 had dipped below 75%. Paramedics hooked oxygen to my mask fitting and I rebounded fast, bit they left me on the oxygen at a low pressure till morning. Only reason why I didn't fire up the machine is I was so tired I had fallen asleep as I sat in the bed.. sleep Doc says I'm just going to be stuck on the machine for the rest of my life, the damage to my brain stem has been done thanks to 20+ years of pain meds and other meds as well as a new tumor in a bad location.

Not sure the size of your machine. I travel by car a lot and stay in hotels. If there is no night stand, I usually use one of cat's carriers with a towel on top to hold my machine. Do you know where you will be staying? Can you ask for a chair or something if a night stand is not available?

I usually take a reusable bottle with my distilled water. I have two that will get me 3-4 nights worth. I have only ever used distilled water in them, so they stay clean. I put them in teh side pockets of a bag that goes on all my road trips. If the trip is longer, I will carry a gallon bottle and refill the bottle that smaller bottle if I am doing a night here, night there kind of trip. If all else fails, I just use a new bottle of bottled water.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

ajack

Post by ajack » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:04 am

Take an extension cord too, some are without a plug by the bed

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:16 am

Hey there stranger..good to see you again.

I know it seems like the machine is huge but it really isn't. The DreamStation machines are just about the size of a small novel.
You should see the size of some of the older models...now those things are huge.

It can seem like a lot of gear all added together though.
You don't have to bring distilled water...you can buy it at your destination or use tap water for a few nights (the worst that will happen is a little mineral build up in the water chamber which is easily removed with vinegar)...or even use bottled drinking water (no flavored or fizzy stuff though).

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

RestlessinWoolley

Post by RestlessinWoolley » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:20 pm

I have a board I was given that slides between the matress and box spring, only had to use it once, and have been lucky so far to have a plug even if I have to unplug a lamp or something near the bed. Was told never to use an extension cord when using the humidifier as well, but the dream station has a decent length cord on it. I never thought if using a smaller bottle for packing the distilled water. We stayed at a ski resort the other night and I just used tap water and since my tank ran dry overnight, I had a serious calcium buildup,so I'll most definitely try the smaller bottle. First trip it was about 3 trips up and down the elevator between my luggage, the GFs and my CPAP gear. I may also look into a better travel bag for the machine as the Dream Station bag compared to the ResMed units is very plain. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

"I hate the word 'Handicapped' and 'Disabled'. They imply that you are less than whole don't see myself that way at all". ~Aimee Mullins

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:17 pm

RestlessinWoolley wrote:Well I'm across the state from home for a few weeks, and while I am here, I am planning on a few over night trips within a 100 miles from where I'm staying. I have no issues packing it to my main destination, but for the short overnights it's been a royal pain to pack up the machine,my distilled water and my other CPAP gear, including my bedside board to hold my machine in case I don't have a decent table to set my machine on. To my knowledge I don't think anyone is making a ASV travel machine. But I really kinda need the humidity to keep my sinus passages open and usually drain the tank nightly in 7-8 hours of sleep.

I travel with my ASV to conferences and dog shows.

I think you have everything down pat -- your board for a table, your machine in a case.

I have a rolling camera case https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003X1OFFY into which my ASV & humidifier go. I tuck the power cord(s) in one corner, wrap my hose (in its Pad-a-Cheek cover) around the outside, tuck my mask in another corner (along with the full-face mask in case I get sick), and place my Calimari surge suppressor on top. The lens bag that comes with it holds assorted THINGS.

This case is last into the car, first out.

When we arrive at the motel, the case comes out, I go into the room and set up my machine while my husband walks the dogs. Then I walk the dogs while he off-loads the rest of our gear. For single night stays, I use a spring water bottle that I refilled with distilled water so I don't have to drag the gallon jug in.

That way, no matter how tired I am, my machine is already set up, and all I have to do is mask up and fall over.

I should note that I have a Calamari, a power cord, and a hose which live in my case, along with the spare full-face mask and my regular mask. That way, on the day of travel, I get up, pop the hose off my machine, remove and empty the humidifier chamber. I dry out the humidifier, and tuck some absorptive tissue into the openings (to catch any water I might have missed) and put it back in my machine. then I unplug the machine and put it in the case. Similarly, I rinse and dry my mask, put it in ITS case, put it in the main CPAP case, put the Calamari back on top and close.

On an overnight, when I get up, same thing: remove, empty, and dry the humidifier chamber, put the tissue back, put it in the machine. Unplug hose and machine, put machine and cord(s) in the case, wrap the hose around, put the rinsed and dried mask and Calamari on top, close, and set it next to the door so it is ready to go out as soon as the rest of the stuff is loaded.

I've done a trip from Louisiana to Ohio to Albany, NY to Rochester, NY, to Toronto, Ontario and return. Also a trip to Milwaukee and return with several overnights. I do a January road trip every year to a music convention which often has an overnight each way. And I do both Conformation and Barn Hunt dog shows.

It's possible. It's just a matter of getting it keyed into your brain that FIRST you do this... and if you are getting hyper tired, make sure the folks you're traveling with know that if you do conk out without your mask on, they MUST wake you at once and tell you to put it on.

Yup, bit of a pain, but it's WAY better than either waking up in pain or not waking up at all!

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

Unregistered User

Post by Unregistered User » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:50 pm

Kiralynx wrote:I have a rolling camera case
I use a rolling carry on suitcase to store everything I need for my cpap, Including meds and a variety of AC outlet adapters, power strip, ext. cord, nite lights, and distilled water enuff for at least 3 days. I have never stayed in a motel w/o nite stand.

I don't think its a problem to travel with this extra bag - I guess I have accepted this lifestyle change. I can strap another bag right on top and wheel away with no trouble.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:20 pm

I would take mine everywhere, even it were as big as the OED.
I might need to hire Sherpas. Whatever it takes . . .
Can not--positively NOT-- sleep without it.

klv329

Post by klv329 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:10 pm

Always bring your ASV!

Maybe this s9 adapt is a 36037 model, only $60 in Lake elsinore, ca, near Los Angeles. Can't tell if it is a 36037, you would have to ask the seller...

https://offerup.com/item/detail/353299333/?ref=Search

RestlessinWoolley

Post by RestlessinWoolley » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:33 pm

Most definitely going to be packing it every where. I like the camera bag idea. I just picked up a new one for my Cannon, and its a bit small for all my camera gear, so I may repurpose it as my CPAP bag. It's got nice straps and like all of them the inside is totally convertible. Next spring I'll be doing a 3500 mile road trip covering Washington, parts of Idaho, Wyoming to Yellowstone, into Utah, and Nevada to Ely, drive US 50 across the state to get the I drove the loneliness highway in America into California to San Francisco and up Us1 and 101 up the coast and back home. 2 nights will be spent in the back of my Tiguan (Borrowing a Battery pack from my CPAP supplier), and figure 6-8 nights in hotels. So anything I can learn on these short trips to make life easier will be of huge benefit.

It's almost been a year since this fiasco began and now right at 6 months on ASV. I'm still getting tired during the day but the necessity of having to take a nap is down to 1-2 a month and not 1-2 a day. So I am really looking forward to taking this road trip, sadly it's going to be my last unless things drastically change health wise. I'm doing better sleeping more, but the one key thing we have yet to sort out of I am still not quite making it fully into deep sleep and if I do it's only momentarily. Hoping the reduction of the pills helps but now I'm back to pain and numbness waking me up. I have a Copy of Encore Pro, sadly I made an agreement with my sleep doctor as the program was given to me by the clinic not to share my charts till I have had my final studies. I am due for one more overnight in December or January when medicate allows it, and one last one hopefully in June. I do have to look forward to one every now and then to monitor my centrals. I see a new neurologist soon as well as a brain doctor to make sure the damage to my brain stem from the tumors and from years of chronic opiate use doesn't get any worse.

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:26 am

Unregistered User wrote:
I use a rolling carry on suitcase to store everything I need for my cpap, Including meds and a variety of AC outlet adapters, power strip, ext. cord, nite lights, and distilled water enuff for at least 3 days. I have never stayed in a motel w/o nite stand.

I don't think its a problem to travel with this extra bag - I guess I have accepted this lifestyle change. I can strap another bag right on top and wheel away with no trouble.
No, I don't think it is a problem to travel with an extra bag. Mind you, I haven't had occasion to fly with the Beastie yet, and since I don't travel without the dogs since Hurricane Katrina, it may be that my flying days are over and that won't ever be an issue.

I should note that I've gotten caught twice at lower-end motels which did NOT have a night stand on "my" side of the bed.

Oh, and one that we stay at that, for whatever reason, decided a recliner in that corner of the room was more important than a night stand.

For that reason, I have one of these https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/73701?f ... Id=1225898 in my car. It goes together and folds up fast, and is quite study enough to hold my Beastie and everything that goes with it.

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:41 am

Kiralynx wrote:
Unregistered User wrote:

No, I don't think it is a problem to travel with an extra bag. Mind you, I haven't had occasion to fly with the Beastie yet, and since I don't travel without the dogs since Hurricane Katrina, it may be that my flying days are over and that won't ever be an issue.

I should note that I've gotten caught twice at lower-end motels which did NOT have a night stand on "my" side of the bed.

Oh, and one that we stay at that, for whatever reason, decided a recliner in that corner of the room was more important than a night stand.

For that reason, I have one of these https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/73701?f ... Id=1225898 in my car. It goes together and folds up fast, and is quite study enough to hold my Beastie and everything that goes with it.

We have similar experiences. I do cat shows, and I usually travel with 3 cats, so flying is not an option. Last December, my mom and I drive with 4 cats from Seattle to Phoenix and back. Next September, we will go to Florida and back. Three weeks, most of it on the road. We both use cpap. She usually sleeps in a folding rocking chair that we bring along. At home, she sleeps in a recliner. I have a preferred side of the bed, but I can sleep on whichever side offers the best surface and outlet. I do carry a surge protector / extension cord. ANd I often use a cat carrier with a towel on top if I don't have a night stand.

I am so thrilled to NOT be snoring when I share a hotel room. When sharing with friends, I remind them that if I should fall asleep without my mask, or pull it off in my sleep, they really need to wake me up and tell me to put it back on. It has only happened once. I remember waking up, and within a few minutes, my sister was waking me up.

I have a backup / travel machine, so it is ready to go, and I have my home machine ready to go when I arrive home tired and ready for bed.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

Post by Guest » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:17 pm

I've been lucky when I travel to have a nite stand - I pull out the top drawer and put everything in there so nothing falls to the floor.

On another note when I forget something I always look for a Dollar Tree store. They do have a variety of things including nasal saline, hair scrunchies, outlet adapters, etc.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:31 pm

Dollar stores can save your bacon!
I forgot my travel hose hanger--and generic duck tape, plus scrunchies saved the day, er, night.

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:04 pm

zoocrewphoto wrote: We have similar experiences. I do cat shows, and I usually travel with 3 cats, so flying is not an option. Last December, my mom and I drive with 4 cats from Seattle to Phoenix and back. Next September, we will go to Florida and back. Three weeks, most of it on the road. We both use cpap. She usually sleeps in a folding rocking chair that we bring along. At home, she sleeps in a recliner. I have a preferred side of the bed, but I can sleep on whichever side offers the best surface and outlet. I do carry a surge protector / extension cord. ANd I often use a cat carrier with a towel on top if I don't have a night stand.

I am so thrilled to NOT be snoring when I share a hotel room. When sharing with friends, I remind them that if I should fall asleep without my mask, or pull it off in my sleep, they really need to wake me up and tell me to put it back on. It has only happened once. I remember waking up, and within a few minutes, my sister was waking me up.

I have a backup / travel machine, so it is ready to go, and I have my home machine ready to go when I arrive home tired and ready for bed.
Cat shows must be interesting! I haven't had the opportunity to attend one, but I do love Maine Coon Cats.

I also carry a surge supressor / extendion cord. The places they hide the electrical outlets!

Our dog crates go at the foot of the bed, which is not a convenient location for a CPAP.

My husband does the same if I should fall over without the mask.

I actually have three machines at this point -- my old Beastie, the Beastie that suffered the cataclysm and is now being repaired, and the new Beastie (the Dreamstation) which just arrived today.

I think the 960 will become my travel machine. The old Beastie is going to be a back-up which will travel with me against just such cataclysms as transpired two weeks ago. And the new Beastie will stay patiently at home, ready and waiting for me to come in.

Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5