DME appointment this week

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Mittens1

DME appointment this week

Post by Mittens1 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:43 pm

Next step on this journey is: DME appointment this week to pick up my new paraphernalia. I knew I'd be shown several masks and given opportunity to select one, and would be shown how the machine works. I found out today that I should plan on an hour, and that I will be meeting with a respiratory therapist. Any suggestions of things I should ask up front to get a good start with this? I'm certain there will be questions come up in the first few weeks, and some can certainly wait till I see the doc a month after starting CPAP. Since many here have traveled this road, though, you may know common questions newbies don't think to ask but should.

LSAT

Re: DME appointment this week

Post by LSAT » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:00 pm

Make sure you get a data capable machine....Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset or Respironics Dreamstation Auto. Try on masks with a CPAP set at your pressure while lying down to make sure it is comfortable without leaking.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:24 pm

Ask what their mask return policy is. The DME I used at first allowed me to return the mask once within the first 30 days. Every DME has their own policy. Some are very liberal, and other have a zero return policy.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

Post by Guest » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:11 pm

Mittens1 wrote:Any suggestions of things I should ask up front to get a good start with this?
Write all of your questions down in a notebook. Leave room under the question for the answer. Take your time and don't leave until all of your questions have been answered. If anyone has a problem with this type of service take your business elsewhere, they will be nothing but troubles in the future.

Get a new notebook just for this and believe me when I tell you OSA affects your memory so write things down. Ask for their name and contact info too.

klm49

Post by klm49 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:20 pm

Ask the DME how long your prescription will be honored before they require you to revisit a Dr.Mine didn't tell me they required a new Prescrip. every year and I lost over a month waiting to get supplies so I could get in to see a Dr.

(edited for the reading challenged)

Last edited by klm49 on Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Resmed AirCurve10 Vauto w/humidifier
Amara View mask
O2 - 2-4 lpm

Zeds

Post by Zeds » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:19 pm

Absolutely, categorically, check to see if the machine has already been used.

Look at every little bit of it closely, including the power cord. Nothing should look shop-worn, the power cord should have newly-unwrapped kinks in it.

Find out how to enter the clinician's mode and locate "hours used". The DME can't change this. It has to be zero (mine was 544). The DME will pretend that the user hours (which they can reset to 0) are the hours the machine has been operated before.

They will lie to you.

I'm not the first person a DME has tried to rip off..... Nor have I been the last.

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:26 pm

The Dr specifies how long a prescription is good for, not the DME.
All posts reflect my own opinion based on my experience and reading.
Your mileage may vary
Past performance is no guarantee of future results
Consult with your own physician as people very

klm49

Post by klm49 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:19 pm

TASmart wrote:The Dr specifies how long a prescription is good for, not the DME.
Sorry but it is up to the DME to fill the prescription or not... Some require proof of compliance from a Dr. once a year, mine did and Sleep Dr. told me that many do this to cover their butts. Some do not, I have a friend who has been getting CPAP from same supplier for 8 years without going to Dr.

Amara View mask
O2 - 2-4 lpm

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:36 pm

Yes, a provider always has the option to fill a prescription or not. However, the Dr fills out a time good for on the order for durable medical goods. Mine is 13 months, others get 99 months which means no end date. If your DME refuses to fill a valid prescription, I'd change DMEs, or go online. This is similar to whichever of the pharmacy chains has decided to not fill prescriptions for opioid pain relievers for more than 1 week. The prescription is still valid and can be filled at a different pharmacy.
Your mileage may vary

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:00 pm

Insurance might require yearly documentation, but a DME may be in CYA mode. (not unusual)
If you are self-pay, insist on 99 months from the doc.--OSA does NOT go away.
If, indeed, you are self pay, shop around--local dealers are notorious for high prices.

klm49

Post by klm49 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:11 pm

TASmart wrote:Yes, a provider always has the option to fill a prescription or not. However, the Dr fills out a time good for on the order for durable medical goods. Mine is 13 months, others get 99 months which means no end date. If your DME refuses to fill a valid prescription, I'd change DMEs, or go online. This is similar to whichever of the pharmacy chains has decided to not fill prescriptions for opioid pain relievers for more than 1 week. The prescription is still valid and can be filled at a different pharmacy.
It is always a good idea to find out your DME policies to avoid incidents like I referred to. I'm not sure what you are trying to argue about here, I merely told the OP to find out the DME's policies in relation to prescriptions. Of course if you don't want to be bothered with details you can always go find another DME when they won't honor the prescription, but why not avoid the problem to begin with.

Amara View mask
O2 - 2-4 lpm

morutf

Post by morutf » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:35 pm

klm49 wrote:Sorry but it is up to the DME to fill the prescription or not... Some require proof of compliance from a Dr. once a year, mine did and Sleep Dr. told me that many do this to cover their butts.
Normally it is the insurance that requires compliance. The DME's only worry is that they have the documentation needed to get paid by the insurance or they wouldn't care if you use the cpap or not. It's all about the money.
klm49 wrote:Some do not, I have a friend who has been getting CPAP from same supplier for 8 years without going to Dr.
Could there be NO Insurance involved here?

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:54 pm

Sorry, I understood your first post to be that the DME was able to write or change the prescription. If that's not what you meant it's my bad reading. I am a little sensitive to claims of who has what authority in forums like this.
Your mileage may vary

Mittens1

Post by Mittens1 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:14 pm

Clarification helps me know what to ask, and I chose a DME that works often with my doc, I suspect the policies will be clear between them. I am anxious to get some answers, yet a little nervous too, wondering how much different it will be to try CPAP at home compared with the experience at a sleep lab. And I obviously survived both halves of the split-night study. Intuitively it seems it should be better in familiar surroundings without dozens of wires attached, yet there's no back-up to call on if something goes wrong, either. I suppose worse case scenario, I just take it off and try again the next night after asking more questions, right?

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:30 pm

Mittens1 wrote:I chose a DME that works often with my doc, I suspect the policies will be clear between them.
The sleep business is pretty darn corrupt to say the least. I would be leary as in not do business with any Dr. who owns or has an interest in the supplier.

IOW if the Dr won't hand you a copy of your script or refuses to send it to a DME of your choosing there is likely some financial gain for the doc.

This also leads to DME's who insist you need another sleep study before they will re-order your supplies after a year or two. Those requirements are set by your insurance.

You would be best advised to speak directly with your insurance about "policies" early, often, and whenever there are questions. Remember the notebook idea.
Mittens1 wrote:I suppose worse case scenario, I just take it off and try again the next night after asking more questions, right?
That is what most of us have done - sleep as long as you can with it each nite, take it off if you have to then try again the next night. There are folks on this forum from around the world so someone may be here during those bad nites.

BUT there is always the search feature and odds are the question has been answered many times over.

Start at the top of the page there is a lot to read - day or nite.