Spinning my wheels :-(

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Spinning my wheels :-(

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:36 am

Poli grip strips.
Cut one in half, and place between your WET lips--leaving a gap in the middle.
Quite effective, although a bit messy.
I would suggest chin-up strips, but that often requires the sacrifice of some facial hair.
I won't suggest that, but you can think about it--chin up strips are nice.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:42 am

Cpapian wrote: I am just wondering if all your coffees
WT?? Is he drinking caffeine? Anyone with a sleep disorder should cut out all caffeine including from "hidden sources" like chocolate.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:03 pm

No caffeine is one of the primary rules of CBT-I.
Unfortunately, for it to work, one has to follow ALL of the rules--EVERY DAY.
And it can take a fairly long time before results are seen.
It is so TOTALLY not for everyone, because one usually has to take time off from work, school, being functional, etc.
It is said to be effective, but is simply not possible for many.
[[[No chocolate? HELL NO!]]]

nicholasjh1

Post by nicholasjh1 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:18 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
MaxINTJ wrote:Also, doesn't the control need to be on the chest for it to work?
The device is implanted. The control is used to turn the device on at bedtime, and then you put it on the nightstand to be used the next morning to turn the device off.
MaxINTJ wrote:I know the mask is not the cause of most of the leaks, it's my mouth blowing open and a chin strap doesn't help.
Have you tried taping your mouth shut? There are some members here who tape. I did it for the first six months of my CPAP therapy - so it can work. (But, I am very happy now to be using Innomed Hybrid mask w/o tape.)
oooh, I'm going to try this. Full face just doesn't work for me for a variety of reasons, (but mostly my nose bridge). but I do struggle with mouth leak. Thanks for the tip!
Instead of Sleep apnea it should be called "Sleep deprivation, starving of oxygen, being poisoned by high CO2 levels, damaging the body and brain while it's supposed to be healing so that you constantly get worse and can never get healthy Apnea"

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:52 pm

I can see FF not working for some Pinocchio for one, I believe many others posting falsehoods here have problems with the Ff mask being held away from their face by their noses. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

MaxINTJ

Post by MaxINTJ » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:10 pm

Cpapian wrote:Max, when can you take a vacation. Or can you get short term disability at your workplace. I am just wondering if all your coffees and stay awake methods are now acerbating your sleep. So I am thinking you freedom to stop medicating to stay awake, (i.e. freedom from driving and work). Clear out your system and see what is really there.

Believe me I am not a doctor, nor do I think I am, but I am just wondering if your situation has morphed to the chicken or the egg.

Maybe a long talk with your dr, explaining how this sleep issue is impacting your whole life, how you have been a good sport and tried everything, all with no results ......

Other than that my only suggestion is to remove the alien from your face.
I can see possibilities for taking time off, but both good and bad. I know if I wasn't working, was tired but avoided coffee, it would result in me napping - which is apparently a good way to give yourself insomnia.

I know coffee has the potential to cause issues, but I have been a coffee drinker for @40 years and would probably get the shakes trying to give it up lol

I am waiting to get an appointment with the sleep doctor, and I will be bringing this all up. I saw the ENT again today and they said (again) that they can't see any physical issue - while I'm awake.
Phillips 960 AutoSV Paving Brick, Phillips Dreamwear Mask - Nothing is working.
Diagnosis of crappy sleep, desats under 80, maybe UARS

MaxINTJ

Post by MaxINTJ » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:13 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:No caffeine is one of the primary rules of CBT-I.
Unfortunately, for it to work, one has to follow ALL of the rules--EVERY DAY.
And it can take a fairly long time before results are seen.
It is so TOTALLY not for everyone, because one usually has to take time off from work, school, being functional, etc.
It is said to be effective, but is simply not possible for many.
[[[No chocolate? HELL NO!]]]
Wrong. Caffeine is allowed up until 2PM for people that sleep normal hours Have to stop it 8 hours before bedtime). I have been through CBT-I recently...

MaxINTJ

Post by MaxINTJ » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:15 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Cpapian wrote: I am just wondering if all your coffees
WT?? Is he drinking caffeine? Anyone with a sleep disorder should cut out all caffeine including from "hidden sources" like chocolate.
Why TH would someone need to do that?

I don't have INSOMNIA - I don't have any trouble falling asleep - initially or if I wake in the night.

Caffeine has no effect whatsoever on respiratory sleep issues. If you have any links proving otherwise, please post them.

MaxINTJ

Post by MaxINTJ » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:16 pm

Goofproof wrote:I can see FF not working for some Pinocchio for one, I believe many others posting falsehoods here have problems with the Ff mask being held away from their face by their noses. Jim

MaxINTJ

Post by MaxINTJ » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:35 pm

xxyzx wrote:Why would an ENT be involved with sleep problems?
*Facepalm*

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:40 pm

MaxINTJ wrote: I don't have any trouble falling asleep - initially or if I wake in the night.

Caffeine has no effect whatsoever on respiratory sleep issues. If you have any links proving otherwise, please post them.
Hey Seuss Kreye Stuh!! You spent ten damn weeks telling us you can only sleep if face down on a wooden board. Now you tell us you don't having any trouble sleeping??

MaxINTJ

Post by MaxINTJ » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:18 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
MaxINTJ wrote: I don't have any trouble falling asleep - initially or if I wake in the night.

Hey Seuss Kreye Stuh!! You spent ten damn weeks telling us you can only sleep if face down on a wooden board. Now you tell us you don't having any trouble sleeping??
You seem to have missed the "falling" part of my statement.

You also seem to not remember me stating sleep onset in my first sleep study was 30 seconds - all wired up (and on the floor).

My point is, I do not have INSOMNIA, so caffeine isn't an issue as long as I don't have it too close to bed.

SunnyBeBe

Post by SunnyBeBe » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:27 pm

I hope that you can work out those obstacles. Why not pick one thing to address at a time and see if you can remedy that and then move to the next thing? I think I might sleep in a separate room, if noise is bothering your spouse. It's just temporary and sometimes, anxiety that we may disturb others could hinder your improvement.

I'm fairly new to this, but, I just think that if you aren't comfortable in your mask, you will struggle more. Is your comfortable? I knew straight away that I could not use a full mask and went right into a nasal pillow. It worked really well, so, I could focus on other things. Have you tried other things for mouth breathing?
Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet (contains humidifier)
Nuance Pro Gel Pillow and headgear

crestifer

Post by crestifer » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:50 pm

i sleep on my side and often on my stomach with my head buried in the pillow.

the airtouch F20 full face mask has worked well for me.

in a perfect world i'd like to use something like the dreamwear nasal mask. it is super light and comfortable, but i simply can't seem to keep my mouth shut during the night (or many times during the day)

i've tired chin straps and tape, just felt weird to me. ultimately a full face mask feels better, stays sealed better and works better for me.

it's worth a try.

many of the more recent full face masks do not have that piece that goes up between your eyes and rests on your forehead. the airfit/touch f20 and quattro fx are full face masks that cover your nose and mouth but have no piece on your forehead.

the amara view is another option. it is a very small full face mask that sort of sits below your nostrils and just on the tip of your nose, as well as over your mouth. nothing rests on the bridge of your nose.

to my view the single most difficult thing about cpap is getting the right mask for you. one that fits well, stays sealed and is not too annoying to wear. this is different for everyone.

just a few ideas.

TedVPAP

Post by TedVPAP » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:25 pm

MaxINTJ wrote:
ChicagoGranny wrote:
MaxINTJ wrote:Also, doesn't the control need to be on the chest for it to work?
The device is implanted. The control is used to turn the device on at bedtime, and then you put it on the nightstand to be used the next morning to turn the device off.
MaxINTJ wrote:I know the mask is not the cause of most of the leaks, it's my mouth blowing open and a chin strap doesn't help.
Have you tried taping your mouth shut? There are some members here who tape. I did it for the first six months of my CPAP therapy - so it can work. (But, I am very happy now to be using Innomed Hybrid mask w/o tape.)
I know people on this forum have successfully used tape, but how many males have? Most females don't have facial hair to worry about. I don't have a beard or stache, but my hair grows overnight - enough that it would either interfere with adhesion or make it very painful to remove. The there's the issue of large red tape marks that would last hours and hours. Again, not so much of an issue for females as makeup can probably mostly cover them, Or there are a lot of retired folks here that don't have to show up for work looking like they were just in a fight.

As for Inspire, since I don't have OSA, I would not be a candidate. Also, the ENT did not see any problem with my tongue (granted, it should be looked at when I'm asleep, but still). And with no VA center less than 6 hours away authorized to do it, my odds of even getting officially evaluated are slim. But, it is another cage I will rattle today
I am sure you have heard this before, but I will try to explain this to you in a way that you might understand. You are an idiot. Instead of trying, you would rather make up excuses based on moronic reasoning. Perhaps you are truly not this idiotic and instead just a lonely sole looking for attention. Good luck as that is all that can help you.

Additional Comments: AutoPAP 16-20, Ultimate Chin Strap http://sleepapneasolutionsinc.com/
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment:
how to see your data https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead
how to present your data https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize
how to post your data https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur