ahi oxygen?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
lorenadam

ahi oxygen?

Post by lorenadam » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:51 pm

I have been bpap user for about two years, No mask issues, my ahi Occasionally spikes to 25 or above, Even though My on overnight oxygen is okay based on recent test, I believe adding oxygen would be worth a try--Similar problem With my sister's husband was solved with oxygen--I recognize Medicare wants To see an overnight deficiency-But if this solves the problem I don't care if it's covered--Any comments or help would be much appreciated

Goofproof

Re: ahi oxygen?

Post by Goofproof » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:16 pm

It's costly without INS, You can get a script and buy online. Electric rate are about $15 to 25 a month. Get the 50 foot Green hose, and put the unit in the next room, they are hot and noisy. 2 LPM is what most scripts call for I bump mine to 3. I don't use mine for AHI, I doubt if it helps that, adjusting your treatment is how you fix that. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:22 pm

lorenadam wrote:my ahi Occasionally spikes to 25 or above
Your problem is not that you need supplemental oxygen. Your problem is that your CPAP machine settings don't prevent breathing events. What are your settings? Do you use Sleepyhead software*? Please fill out your equipment profile - https://www.cpaptalk.com/ucp.php?i=prof ... pment_info

Forum members can help you optimize your CPAP therapy and get that AHI way down. Supplemental oxygen is the wrong route.

*Sleepyhead software
https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead
https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize
https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

Cereal Killer

Post by Cereal Killer » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:16 pm

lorenadam wrote: my ahi Occasionally spikes to 25 or above
Oh my goodness! That is not how this is supposed to work. That is not how any of this works.

My AHI averages under 1.0. A high night for me is 2.0. At 25, I would feel like death.

Please get involved in the forum and get your CPAP settings straightened out! You will be glad you did.

libtardsUnite

Post by libtardsUnite » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:43 am

xxyzx wrote:
Cereal Killer wrote:
Oh my goodness! That is not how this is supposed to work. That is not how any of this works.

My AHI averages under 1.0. A high night for me is 2.0. At 25, I would feel like death.

Please get involved in the forum and get your CPAP settings straightened out! You will be glad you did.
if it spiked for a half an hour that would still be <5 for the night
The village idiot speaks garbage again. AHI is average per hour. The apnea-hypopnea index, or AHI, is an index used to assess the severity of sleep apnea based on the total number of complete cessations (apnea) and partial obstructions (hypopnea) of breathing occurring per hour of sleep. By definition, these pauses in breathing must last for at least 10 seconds.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:39 am

"AHI is a crude surrogate for the severity of sleep apnea."

LibtardsUnite!

Post by LibtardsUnite! » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:08 am

xxyzx wrote:
libtardsUnite wrote:
xxyzx wrote:
Cereal Killer wrote:

if it spiked for a half an hour that would still be <5 for the night
The village idiot speaks garbage again. AHI is average per hour. The apnea-hypopnea index, or AHI, is an index used to assess the severity of sleep apnea based on the total number of complete cessations (apnea) and partial obstructions (hypopnea) of breathing occurring per hour of sleep. By definition, these pauses in breathing must last for at least 10 seconds.

the big libturd lies again

AHI is the average per hour for the night
it can spike at a high level for a few minutes and still give a low AHI overall

AHI is a meaningless statistic used by bureaucrats to determine if medicrap patients get an xpap
it ignores all the other things that mess up sleep and feeling well

and the libturd who is totally illogical, and yes i know that is redundant, doesnt know basic statistics

hypops are anythng over ten seconds not blocked enough to be apnea
you could have a lot of them at 9 seconds and have dangerously low desats
or you could have a few of them at a minute and have dangerously low desats
you can have a modest AHI of them at 10.5 seconds and have no real problem at all

what matters is how you feel and how low your desats went
those numbers matter

if libtard united had any facts he would not resort to personal comments
he would post the actual facts

THIS IS WHY WE SAY IGNORE XXYZX!

What I posted was the DEFINITION of AHI. A FACT! XXYZX wouldn't know a fact if it came up and bit him on the ass, which it has done several times.

PLEASE, PLEASE, FOR THE SAKE OF YOUR HEALTH, IGNORE XXYZX!!!

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:15 am

Our local alphabet boy has still not figured out that if the OP had an AHI of 25...that was the nights hourly average...not a peak for an hour.

This is why we are have been saying...DON"T BELIEVE THE ALPHABET BOY

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:27 am

Oh lord, stop screaming. You are reminding of the last scene in Animal House where Kevin Bacon stands in the street screaming all is well. It's not well and neither are you. And that's a fact.
Last edited by TASmart on Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All posts reflect my own opinion based on my experience and reading.
Your mileage may vary
Past performance is no guarantee of future results
Consult with your own physician as people very

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:36 am

lorenadam wrote:I have been bpap user for about two years, No mask issues, my ahi Occasionally spikes to 25 or above, Even though My on overnight oxygen is okay based on recent test, I believe adding oxygen would be worth a try--Similar problem With my sister's husband was solved with oxygen--I recognize Medicare wants To see an overnight deficiency-But if this solves the problem I don't care if it's covered--Any comments or help would be much appreciated
Don't let the little boys scare you off. They are harmful only to themselves. They blab on for days at a time.

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:47 pm

Lost my rock, too much noise and I left. You still screamed longer and bigger. Good for you, you can act more childish than most. I am replying to public posts on a public internet forum. I don't count that as stalking, more a public service for inaccurate and childish behavior.
Your mileage may vary

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:27 pm

More namecalling from the local bully. I address posts to your posts when your posts are erroneous.
Your mileage may vary

Doublev

Post by Doublev » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:19 am

lorenadam wrote:I have been bpap user for about two years, No mask issues, my ahi Occasionally spikes to 25 or above, Even though My on overnight oxygen is okay based on recent test, I believe adding oxygen would be worth a try--
I used an oximeter overnight (transmitting the data to my laptop) and found my spo2 was a little low.. nothing any doctor would be seriously concerned about. But if I am going to wear a mask why not add some oxygen to raise my spo2 to normal or even above average levels?

So I paid out of pocket and I am very happy with the results.

But what were your spo2 numbers? If they were high to begin with, then adding oxygen for the sake of adding it won't do anything for you. As stated by others they can be some drawback if you introduce oxygen you do not need (you are removing nitrogen that we are normally accustomed to breathing)

The only drawback for me is the sound of the machine.. mine is rated at 43db so it is not loud but the sound is not consistent. There is a whooshing sound every 2-10 seconds (random). I remember calling the manufacturer when I got the machine "hey, can you listen to my machine over the phone.. is this thing broken?"

Fortunately we have always slept with a large air purifier on full speed so it is not an issue for us. But if you like to sleep in silence, then I dont know if it will work for you.

Now all of that being said, I have to state my energy levels are improved with the oxygen.. a year ago I would dread getting out of bed. Now I sometimes wake up with so much energy I pop out of bed like a two year old

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:17 am

I agree with xxyzx on tis one, O2 is best added and monitored by an MD with expertise, excess O2 can be bad for your health.
Your mileage may vary