ResMed VPAP Adapt SV gift to me! In my case is it useful?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Winfred0000

ResMed VPAP Adapt SV gift to me! In my case is it useful?

Post by Winfred0000 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:29 pm

Hi!

I received recently received for free a used only 5 nights ResMed VPAP Adapt SV. It looks much more sophisticated than my simpler Phillips REMstar Auto A-Flex System One and weighs like 4 times as much. I was diagnosed severe sleep apnea. I have only a very few central apneas but don't know the percent etc. but very few, and a pressure of 11. I was going to car-camp at a music festival and use my cigarette lighter adapter to run my CPAP machine, which I'd done successfully before. On the way to the fest I stayed one night at a WalMart parking lot near the fest because the gate was locked the time of night I finally arrived. My machine wouldn't work! Either it was the adapter or my machine. So there I was late at night, very tired. I lay in the back of my station wagon with a mattress and propped myself up as I don't have apneas if I sleep upright. The problem was I kept sliding down and a real problem and not hardly sleeping all night.

The next day I was at the festival main gate. The ticket lady asked if I wanted a 3 day ticket or one day... or what. I said I'd planned for 3 days but told her what happened. She said a groundskeeper would direct me and run an extension cord to my car at no extra charge! So I was very happy. She then said she had an almost new CPAP machine her late husband used only 5 nights before he died. She said she'd tried many times to give it away over the years with no success. I said my machine acted up, my REMstar and the supplier gave me another power supply as that was the problem, yet he also said it was only a band-aid and my machine was failing... only he was a very aggressive salesman and I wasn't sure if that was
his underlying motive, to get me to buy their $2,200 latest machine. She said I could have late husband's machine and even made a special trip to her home and back! My present machine worked on AC but she said I could still have it! It is a "ResMed VPAP Adapt SV".

The machine looks like it's designed for someone with multiple sleep breathing problems, a much more sophisticated machine. Maybe it's adjustable for simpler cases such as myself and in the future I could use it if I ended up having further sleep breathing complications. Like my older generation ResMed machine was it also has that elliptical or kind of football shape to it like my first ResMed CPAP machine looked like in about 2004. She didn't say what her husband died of or when he died and I of course didn't want to ask as I thought it might sound like I was unappreciative. I saw a copyright 2005 on the underside. Could that machine be from 2005? Would it be still a good machine having been used only 5 nights? I don't know what her husband died of, if he had a rare disease or not. Can they sterilize a machine? If it's not a machine for my particular case then I might donate it to a charity that takes used machines. What would you do if you were me? Thanks!

Midnight Strangler

Re: ResMed VPAP Adapt SV gift to me! In my case is it useful?

Post by Midnight Strangler » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:14 am

Winfred0000 wrote:machine having been used only 5 nights? I don't know what her husband died of, if he had a rare disease or not.
He was an APAP user. By mistake he switched to an Adapt SV. Boom. It killed him in 5 nights.

Midnight Strangler

Post by Midnight Strangler » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:16 am

Seriously, I don't know about ASV. Someone with experience will come along shortly and help you.

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:18 am

What is wrong with you! She's asking a perfectly valid question and needs advice, why would you answer that way? This forum has become a horror show!

Midnight Strangler

Post by Midnight Strangler » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:47 am

Calm down, Julie.

You've never displayed a sense of humor. Too set in your ways to develop one.

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:52 am

There was nothing funny about your note.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:55 am

Midnight Strangler wrote:Calm down, Julie.
+1

CapnLoki

Post by CapnLoki » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:58 am

Julie wrote:There was nothing funny about your note.
+1

Poor taste can be accepted as humor between friends; as a greeting to a newcomer, it is, well, just in pretty poor taste.

Additional Comments: Pressure 9-20, average ~9.5; often use battery power while off-grid
Hark, how hard he fetches breath . . .  Act II, Scene IV, King Henry IV Part I, William Shakespeare
Choosing a Battery thread: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t1140 ... ttery.html

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:31 am

It's an old ASV machine and they can be used to treat plain ordinary OSA but it takes some fiddling with the available settings to get it done.
I am familiar with the S9 and newer ResMed ASV machines but not this older model.
If you can find a model number somewhere on it...we could maybe figure out exactly which model.

See if you can figure out exactly which model and then go here and request the manual for that machine.
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p ... tup-manual

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Winfred0000

Post by Winfred0000 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:38 pm

Hi All!

Wow, so nice you're all willing to read my long explination! I look on the underside of the machine and don't find any specific model name, however the medical equipment supplier put their sticker on it and maybe covered part of a name. On the underside there is a long list of countries in the world that distribute ResMed and a long list of patents and a long serial number, but that's it. On the humidifier there is a model name "ResMed HumidAire 2i". I see on the main machine half of it all a copyright 2005 ResMed Ltd. yet maybe that is on even models newer than 2005. Maybe too, in my case of being a non-special sleep apnea patient rated "severe" and only a small percent of "central apneas" and pressure of 11, that maybe this machine is still very useful if just adjusted to part of what it does. In my memory with my former ResMed seemingly of the same generation of this football shaped model this particular machine weighs like 3 times or more as much. It also even looks bigger, heftier. This might be one of their very advanced models only for patients that have multiple issues. I think I remember the lady who gave me this saying her late husband had heart problems, but not sure. The cords looked like old dried matter stuck to them so keeping the plug ends out of the water, I soaked both cords in hot soapy water, then wiped them, then doused them with peroxide, wiped them then doused them in isopropyl alcohol or "rubbing alcohol". Do they ever clean and sterilize a used machine? I see a number "A260-311/1" if that means anything. Also a parts number 26013. Serial No. 20080488830. The case and all though smells like it had been in a place that had been fumigated, a strange chemical smell and the smell that very old houses or old books kind of smell too that's mainly in the carrying case but also even as I lean near the machine to get the various number off of the underside. Really though this machine is sophisticated with 7 buttons to press. Also unlike my cpap machine or even my old ResMed there's a side port where I think a thin oxygen line goes. The mask in the side pouch covers nose and mouth and also an oxygen clear plastic line with a fitting so the main cpap line is fed oxygen too. I took care of my mother until she transcended and she had a similar fitting so a line went from her oxygen concentrator to her cpap line as she had also COPD. Very nice of all to respond. I'll wait and see what transpires. This is very helpful to me as it could in future save me a lot of money. That salesman was very aggressive. I called ahead to see a technician and they told me when to come and here I realized they had no intention, Allina, a big health care company, for me to see a technician with my present machine and instead for what should have taken 15 minutes took 2 hours and overbearing sales tactics. He even said my machine is too old that the parts in my present Phillips Respironics machine has the "O" rings and parts that get old and don't work right. I had my ResMed for 8 years and it worked fine and this present machine has been used only 2 yrs that a friend gave me, again by a miracle for free as she said it was in her closet for 4 years and bran new, and never used! Too long of stories ha! Thanks for all of your patience! Winfred

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:06 pm

Winfred0000 wrote:Also a parts number 26013.
Your description and that parts number seems to indicate it is this model ----> http://www.cpap-supply.com/VPAP-Adapt-SV-p/26013.htm

Winfred0000 wrote:Wow, so nice you're all willing to read my long explination!
Some of us get really snarky at other times. But, you seem like a carefree spirit that can handle it.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:02 pm

I think at this website
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p ... tup-manual

That you would request this manual
ResMed VPAP Adapt SV

It's going to have a lot of different available settings.
I do not know if there is a cpap mode available and if there is it would be simple to just use cpap mode.

If it doesn't if you will give us a list of all the available settings in the menu along with your current settings on your Respironics machine we can figure out how to take what you have available and do some tweaking so it works like your Respironics works.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Winfred0000

Post by Winfred0000 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:52 am

Hi All!

ChicagoGranny, you're right on with the model!!
Your description and that parts number seems to indicate it is this model ----> (I took out the link as a note warns my response here has not been posted because of a link in the message which to the staff or admin people that there is spam, so I removed it) I hope this works.

I never imagined such an expensive machine at $3,200, and my model looks like the one in the picture too.
ResMed VPAP III TiControl
It's confusing as another supplier shows a very different machine with the same name at $1,865, and another supplier shows the same very different machine for $2,478. It doesn't note how old the machine is but mentions lung conditions I don't have like:
restrictive lung disease patients (eg, those with neuromuscular weakness, chest wall deformity, etc.)
or also
control the inspiratory time in obstructive lung disease patients
, or
For example, adjust Ti Max to customize therapy for Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) patients and Ti Min for patients with restrictive disorders.

That poor man must have had a number of lung conditions which I still wonder if they can sterilize my machine so I can use it. Have you heard of that? They must since the same place donates used machines. It's a ways to go until I get my 20 yr old car fixed and paying for parking to get to the hospital where I had my sleep study. For about a year they were my CPAP supply source until for some reason they notified me I had to change (sadly as they were so good) to a different supplier. I feel best asking them. I'm a little apprehensive as they might look in my chart and find I'm due for another sleep study, which I know they are necessary but hate. I had my study about 3 yrs ago now, would that mean I'm due? I for sure would not take it to Allina the way they treated me and will change to a different supplier once I get my mandatory senior physical coming up with my Medicare so I can finally get more supplies. Allina salesman would just say this machine is useless for me and then again push their sales on me like before. I want to take the machine to that sleep center soon now I really know what this machine is. ResMed didn't have it, for some strange reason, printed on the machine. Thanks to you GrannyChicago it is a
ResMed VPAP III TiControl
, and thanks to all of you others with advice where it appears that it is possible to adjust it to my simpler needs. Also if my health changes I can have it adjusted appropriately. This could solve my CPAP needs for years to come! I better be sure and have the sleep center staff look at my chart and really tell me. They also have a sign that notes to donate any machines as it seems they send on used machines to some charity. I'm going to read over the other responses more as I have a lot to think about!
Kindest Regards,
Winfred

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:06 am

Winfred0000 wrote:They also have a sign that notes to donate any machines as it seems they send on used machines to some charity.
Keep your old machine as a backup. Most of the regulars here keep a backup.

Winfred0000

Post by Winfred0000 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:52 pm

Hi!

I can't say how much I appreciate all of you! You have given me a plan! I will keep this as backup! I'll have it tuned up by the sleep center where I had my sleep study to my pressure of 11 and ask them to sterilize it! I figured they must have a means to sterilize or they wouldn't have their sign up for donating one's CPAP to charity. It was divine intervention again! I am very grateful to God I have a backup and possibly now if my Respironics Auto A-Flex goes out I'm set up for years to come.

I have a feeling that Allina salesman was lieing when he told me my Auto A-Flex was aging and parts deteriorate as it was given to me bran new and has worked fine for a year and a half until just the small external power supply, easily replaceable, went out last July. Beware anyone who goes to Allina in St. Paul, MN on Westgate Dr. If you still need to go there take heed and don't let them manipulate you! I know I'm not going back.

No worrying if my Social Security Medicaid won't cover all the price of a new one or not too! You've saved me major expense and time! You've all taken your own precious time to guide me and I'm very appreciative. I do random acts of kindness to for people in my Senior high rise building so your kindness goes around.

With My Kindest Regards, Winfred