Forgot CPAP Machine - What do you do?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
FoggyBrain24

Forgot CPAP Machine - What do you do?

Post by FoggyBrain24 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:41 pm

I've had a few instances where I've ended up staying over at a friend's house expectantly without my CPAP machine.

If this happens to you, what do you do? I know it's likely you will have to just deal with it, but any other adjustments that help you?
I know my apnea is worse when I sleep on my back, so I've build a pillow wall behind me to ensure I stay on my side.

Any other recommendations?

Thanks!

ChicagoGranny

Re: Forgot CPAP Machine - What do you do?

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:46 pm

How long have you been using CPAP? How severe was your apnea according to your original sleep test? What is your subjective judgment of how severe your sleep apnea is now?
FoggyBrain24 wrote:expectantly
You did mean "unexpectedly"?

DeadlySleep

Post by DeadlySleep » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:48 pm

FoggyBrain24 wrote:I've had a few instances where I've ended up staying over at a friend's house
How good is she?

FoggyBrain24

Post by FoggyBrain24 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:00 pm

haha. Sorry, unexpectedly.

FoggyBrain24

Post by FoggyBrain24 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:03 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:How long have you been using CPAP? How severe was your apnea according to your original sleep test? What is your subjective judgment of how severe your sleep apnea is now?
Using for 6 months or so. Original sleep study was mild, but severe during REM or sleeping on my back.

It's gotten better through diligent CPAP wear, but there are times where I don't want to carry around the machine all day.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:05 pm

FoggyBrain24 wrote:
ChicagoGranny wrote:How long have you been using CPAP? How severe was your apnea according to your original sleep test? What is your subjective judgment of how severe your sleep apnea is now?
Using for 6 months or so. Original sleep study was mild, but severe during REM or sleeping on my back.

It's gotten better through diligent CPAP wear, but there are times where I don't want to carry around the machine all day.
I don't understand what you are asking us.....If you don't have your machine , you have 2 choices. Sleep without it...or...stay up all night.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:26 pm

FoggyBrain24 wrote:I've had a few instances where I've ended up staying over at a friend's house expectantly without my CPAP machine.
Sorry, I should have asked this the first time. Were you successful at staying off your back? Do you think you got restful sleep during the night? How did you function the next day?

FoggyBrain24

Post by FoggyBrain24 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:37 pm

My question is there are any habits that help when no cpap machine is available. Perhaps a breathe right strip and mouthguard that you can leave at work. I am usually tired the next day without cpap but i rarely do it. But it forces me to head home and be a little less flexible than I would like.

Just wondering if any small adjustments hell in a pinch for a single night.

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:39 pm

FoggyBrain24 wrote: Using for 6 months or so. Original sleep study was mild, but severe during REM or sleeping on my back.

What exactly do you mean by this?
FoggyBrain24 wrote:but there are times where I don't want to carry around the machine all day.

FoggyBrain24

Post by FoggyBrain24 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:45 pm

If you visit yiur frienda and decide to sleep at their house but did not bring your cpap. Are there any sleep hygiene related thinfs that help you make it through a cpap-free night?

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:51 pm

FoggyBrain24 wrote:If you visit yiur frienda and decide to sleep at their house but did not bring your cpap. Are there any sleep hygiene related thinfs that help you make it through a cpap-free night?
Not what you want to hear but...
Planning ahead helps tremendously.
Some buy a spare cpap to keep in their car with their spare clothes.

RiverDave

Post by RiverDave » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:53 pm

If you have OSA, sleep in a recliner, if available (head elevated and neck straight).
If in a bed, I will shift my sleeping position to side or belly so the soft tissue in my neck doesn't collapse as much.
A second machine would be the best bet.
Good luck!

RicaLynn

Post by RicaLynn » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:15 pm

Guest wrote:
FoggyBrain24 wrote:If you visit yiur frienda and decide to sleep at their house but did not bring your cpap. Are there any sleep hygiene related thinfs that help you make it through a cpap-free night?
Not what you want to hear but...
Planning ahead helps tremendously.
Some buy a spare cpap to keep in their car with their spare clothes.
+1

I'm also a relatively young hosehead and I like to be a bit more flexible. So I picked up a second Cpap machine through Facebook marketplace (lucky break, identical to mine but only $50), and I keep it in my trunk. I like to visit my best friend every couple weeks but a night at her place without my Cpap means I'm tired and cranky for the next two days, no matter how comfortable the accommodations.

I also get the impression from your previous post about this subject that you're more than a little self conscious about the hosehead appearance. If your "friend" is worth her salt she doesn't care about how you look with it. And *you* should care more about a good night's rest than about keeping up appearances.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:22 pm

Your OSA is much, much worse on your back...so avoid back sleeping as much as possible.
If this friend is of the opposite sex then you probably won't want to get up and sleep in a recliner which would be another option.
You probably want to cuddle.

Those breathe right strips only open up the nostril area so that air moves more easily through the nostrils...don't help much when obstructions are down well below the nostril area down around the back of the tongue in that area.

If this is a regular long term friend you might want to get a spare machine and leave it at the friend's house.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

WearyOne

Post by WearyOne » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:30 pm

If this is a place where you might stay overnight often, I agree with others who mentioned keeping a spare there or in your car.

I couple of times in ten years I've had to sleep without it due to a power outage. I slept sitting up in bed with a bunch of pillows to prop me up. (I don't have a recliner.) Breathe Right type strips don't help me because my problem is not a blocked nose.