HELP ! NASALAIRE users, please help!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
butterfly

HELP ! NASALAIRE users, please help!

Post by butterfly » Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:59 pm

I tried to post a while ago, but guess it didn't work. Anyway... I;m a brand new, first time user, and just got my Nasalaire mask today. It was shipped to me at home because when I went for a fitting and use instructions they didn't have any in stock. I had tried their sample, which was a small and it was way too small. I think they ordered me a large ... and it is HUGE. THere is WAY TOO MUCH MATERIAL here !! How do I ever stuff all this in my nose !!! I can't imagine it's supposed to be THIS big. I have heard you should get a larger size than you think you need but this seems a bit ridiculous!!!

I was totally defiant and against having to be hooked up to a machine and mask the rest of my life .. but finally gave in to reason, and researched a lot and decided MAYBE I could live with the NasalAire. Then, I actually started getting excited and couldn't wait for the mask to arrive. BUT now I am in total despair again. I want to use it tonight.

ANY COMMENTS? SUGGESTIONS ???? I NEED HELP ... PLEASE.

"Butterfly

Liam1965

Post by Liam1965 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:13 pm

Well.... I didn't much like the Nasalaire (I think that's the one that bills itself as "Nasal Prongs" instead of "Pillows", a shrewd marketing device, because if I have the option between relaxing on a nice, soft pillow and impaling myself in a sharp prong, I know which way I'm going).

But... with the nasal pillows/cushions/prongs, you don't put them UP your nose, you put them AGAINST your nose. And yes, generally larger is better.

Keep in mind that nasal pillows are made to rest gently against your nose, with only the little flared edge actually entering your nostril (or "nare" for those who want to be absolutely technically acurate).

Give them a try before you give up on them. You may find they're more comfortable than you think!

Liam, more comfortable than you think, and he's large, too. (6'1", 245 lbs)

butterfly

Post by butterfly » Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:36 pm

Thanks for your reply. I am so anxious and nervous and in despair about this whole darn thing ... the apnea, I mean. Anyway, as far as the Nasalaire .. it isn't sharp at all !! It's very soft, and pliable. So I can actually even squish it up and stuff it up my nose, if that's what I am supposed to do, but I somehow doubt it, although the directions basically do leave me with the impression that it IS supposed to be stuffed right up there !!! Now I am laughing. I guess that's good. But given your suggestions, I will try, as you said, to just kind of place it more "AGAINST" my nose rather than UP it. Oh ... yes ... my "NARE" !!

Well, here's hoping for a not too traumatic experience.

Thanks again !!

"Butterfly"

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:46 pm

Hi butterfly,

I kind of doubt you'll be able to place the Nasal Aire prongs (gawd, I feel the same way Liam does about that word) just against your nostrils. The NA II, as best I can remember...I tried one for one night, that was enough for me!...does have to go somewhat into your nostrils.

The Breeze and the Swift, on the other hand, can be more outside the nostrils and against them. They have headgear that holds the "pillows" in place.

I've used all three. Quite a few people get along fine with the NAII (Nasal Aire II) but I think it's very dependent on being one of the lucky ones that doesn't have nostrils "inbetween size".

If you sleep on your back a lot or want to wear glasses while a mask is in place, the Swift is a good choice in the nasal pillows category. The Swift comes with all three sizes of "pillows" included.

My personal favorite is the Breeze with nasal pillows. Excellent for side sleepers. I'd recommend getting pillows for the Breeze that are larger than what you'd think would fit you - "larger" pillows in the Breeze mean they will rest outside your nostrils better (and usually seal better too). If I were going to guess at the size of pillows to get with a Breeze, I'd suggest "Large and Extra Large" for men...."Medium and Large" for women - yes, even for women with small noses and small nostril openings.

limpy

Post by limpy » Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:02 pm

butterfly i am with restedgirl. you are working with B material there. The A players are the [url=https://www.cpap.com/productSearch.php?query=breeze]breeze[/url] and the the swift, although the [url=https://www.cpap.com/productSearch.php?query=breeze]breeze[/url] is older and more tested and known.

Please don't judge the whole [url=https://www.cpap.com/cpap-compare-chart/CPAP]cpap[/url] thing until you have an auto [url=https://www.cpap.com/cpap-compare-chart/CPAP]cpap machine[/url] and an active, [url=https://www.cpap.com/productSearch.php?query=breeze]breeze[/url], or swift.

limpy

Post by limpy » Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:03 pm

whats wrong with my post?

Liam1965

Post by Liam1965 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:15 pm

limpy wrote:whats wrong with my post?
I'm not sure. What's wrong with my hose?

Liam, who really doesn't want to know about limpy's "post".

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:20 pm

limpy, it's those automatic links that the admin of the message board has enabled. I find them aggravating, myself, but I'm sure they are helpful to many. Nowadays, when I post, I try to remember to click "Disable Auto Links in this post" down below where you start typing your message. And if you edit your message, you've gotta remember to checkmark the "Disable Auto Links" thingie again or pow...there the come again.

When it works right, it's supposed to just make certain words in peoples' posts be "clickable" - usually bringing up a product page at cpap.com or the respironics website, or other websites. But sometimes the "auto links" thingie results in a mess - like what happened to your post. I personally don't think having "auto links" enabled is worth the garbled posts it can result in sometimes, but that's just my opinion.

The only way to clean it up, if you want to, but it's a lot of trouble ...is to go back to Edit your post and painstakingly take out all the URL stuff. But be sure to click "Disable Auto Links in this post" before you hit Submit, or they'll be right back in there again!

dwells2

Post by dwells2 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:56 pm

Butterfly,

I use the Nasal Aire II and love it.

When I first got mine I was a little skeptical about getting the Medium Plus sized prongs in my nose and then being able to sleep, but I did and it worked. I have no leakage problems and the NAII allows me full freedom to toss and turn from side to side and doesn't displace or come off.

I seriously doubt that they sent you a Large. The prongs need to be big enough to be placed in your nostrils and seal. You will find you have to squeeze them as you insert them. If they cause any minor irritation use Ayr saline gel.

Give it a try.

dwells2

Post by dwells2 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:02 pm

Liam,

The Nasal Aire prongs ARE inserted into the nostril, unlike pillows they do not rest gently against the nares.

You answered someone who was seeking help from people who use a particular product. You provided a negative comment about something you obviosly are not familiar with. Is this being helpful?

glassgal

NasalAireII?

Post by glassgal » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:03 pm

Hi Butterfly,

Welcome!

I have used the NAII exclusively since I started (01/10/05). I know that many others don't like it, but I have learned to like it -- but there is a learning curve and some changes that I have made to the setup to make it more comfortable.

The first thing is that it needs to be big to seal. My first size was a small, which not only leaked (very noisy), but moved around a lot. This gave me a bloody nose and I couldn't sleep because of the noise and soreness. When I went back to the sleep center, the RT gave me a sample (they were getting rid of it) of a medium, which I wear most nights, and I ordered a medium plus, which works on nights when I don't have as much swelling in my nose from allergies. The key here is that it NEEDS to be big.

I also got some saline gel -- there are many brands available (AYR is one and Simply Saline is another), and you can probably find them in a well stocked drug store in the cold and cough section near the saline nasal sprays. These help a lot, as they moisturize and help heal any soreness in your nostrils. Be sure to read the label -- it should say that it is for use IN the nose. Beware of petroleum based products (Vasaline or Mentholatum) as they can damage the material that the NAII (or other interfaces) are made of. I use my saline gel in the morning and the evening before bed.

I usually get my machine set up, the humidfier filled, hoses attached and then put the headgear on (more on the headgear later) with the small hoses loose. I get the ends of the small hoses positioned about the right place, then plug one end of the prongs into the hose. Be sure to angle the prongs somewhat upward, so that they don't put pressure on the inside of your nose. Then connect the other side. When you insert the "prongs", fold a little and work them around so that the folds work out and they fit tight. When you turn the machine on, you will hear/feel any leaks. Keep adjusting the position until they feel right and tight.

Now, about the headgear. I tried the back of the neck strap only, and that wasn't enough, and the upper strap with the loops doesn't work at ALL for me, so I got a soft headband from the drugstore and loop it through the loops in the back of the neck strap -- where the hoses go. The headband should run with the velcro strap by your neck, then come up to your forehead, a little lower than if you were wearing it in your hair to keep your forehead clear to wash your face. The hoses go on TOP of the headband. This makes the whole thing feel snug, but not confining for me. If things loosen as you move around at night, pull down on the 2 small hoses above the swivel and things tighten right back up. So, to summarize, you have the prongs in your nose, attached on both sides to small diameter hoses, which loop behind your ears (held in place by the strap and the hairband), then foreward and down to the swivel fitting that attaches to the main hose. The hoses can be routed down your back also -- I can't speak to that, although I know that some do it. You get used to doing the adjustments when you move and keeping the hose in the right place very quickly, and putting the NAII on will become second nature also.

I also found that I didn't like the feel of the small tubing on my skin, so I had some surgitubing (a knit tubular bandage for fingers) which was just the right size to fit the small tubing. I am currently using 2 short pieces across my cheeks, and two longer pieces on the section below my ears and before the swivel fitting. I think that I will try to find more and just cover the length of both small hoses, as it keeps shifting around. I purchased the tubing long ago, so I hope that it, or something similiar is still available. I also use a hose cover on my big hose to the humidifier -- it just feels nicer with a cover! It will help with rainout too!

I know that this sounds like a lot, but I think that the info that comes with the NAII is limited, and there are "tricks" that make it work better for me! I like it because of the minimal headgear and I can wear my glasses and read! I can also sleep on my side or stomach.

Feel free to ask me any questions, and I am sure that you will get other responses -- there aren't many, but there are a few of us NAII users on the forum!

Don't give up on the therapy -- it is important!

I don't know much about your situation -- if you give us more info on the type of machine (make and model), the pressure that you are set at, do you have a humidifier, it would be easier to help you out! I have a fairly high titrated pressure of 14cm/H2O, but just got an auto (PB420E) and it is running most of the night at 10-11 -- that's a big relief!

You will find that there are many wonderful, helpful people on this forum who are ready, willing and able to help -- we have all been through this! We have all had bad nights, but it gets better -- really! Keep at it and don't give up!

Sleep well,

Jane

Liam1965

Post by Liam1965 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:16 pm

dwells2 wrote:You answered someone who was seeking help from people who use a particular product. You provided a negative comment about something you obviosly are not familiar with. Is this being helpful?
I tried the mask in question. I didn't like it. I gave the best information I could remember from my three day trial with it.

Perhaps my memory was faulty as to how it worked. I definitely didn't like it, so that was a perfectly legitimate thing to say.

How, exactly, is your pissant comment useful?

Liam, who at least TRIES to be helpful.

Liam1965

Post by Liam1965 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:22 pm

Oh, and by the way, if you know anything about human nature, what the original poster MOST needed was some encouragement. Which I also gave.

This place was a lot of fun to hang out in, and now suddenly there are a batch of killjoys running around. We're all in this together, bozo. We're all in the same situation, trying to help each other as best we can, working from our experiences and from our memories.

Memories which, if you paid any attention at all, tend to be faulty when we're low on sleep.

Oh, and maybe that's WHY I didn't like the thing, but my DME explained the use of the NasalAire the same way one describes the use of the Swift or Breeze. If that's wrong, then so be it, but it *IS* how I used them when I tried them.

Now, crawl back into your hole until you can be a friendly part of the community like everyone else, or until you grow up enough so that you don't have to post quickly while mommy and daddy don't know you're on the computer.

Liam, really annoyed.

butterfly

Post by butterfly » Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:45 am

Well, thank you to ALL who replied, INCLUDING Liam. As for him giving faulty info, I figured maybe it was a difference between the first model and the second? ANYWAY ... you were ALL helpful and made me feel so not alone! I made it through the night. Can't say I slept real soundly, but I do realize there will be a "learning curve". My nosei rather sore this mornign. My paperwork DOES say "large" ... so I am going to question Apria about it later this morning. I was able to "squish" it and get it in but that seem to cause some "wrinkles" .... I may have detetected a slight leak ... kind of hard to tell ??? But I made it through the night without ripping it off. Well ... it CAME off two times when I turned ... but after some adjustments (and yes, I sat up in bed and cried just a LITTLE bit) and a struggle to get those HUMUNGOUS things back up my nose, I think I got the hang of it.

You know what ??? MY boyfriend said "not even one little snort" !!! I have snored, no .. I have ROARED for years, (progressively worse over the last year which prompted me to go to the doctor, hence ... THE CPAP MACHINE !!!

So I guess if I didn't snore, the airway was keeping open, huh?

Well, I am going to keep coming back here, people seem pretty nice for the most part, and willing to help. I'll probably have MORE questions, and maybe, just maybe .. who knows, SOMEDAY, I might have some answers for someone.

ALll in all, I think me and this NASALAIRE will make it.

Thanks again!

"Butterfly"

glassgal

Good job Butterfly!

Post by glassgal » Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:05 pm

Hi Butterfly,

Glassgal here.

I am so glad that you made it through your first night successfully! Go get some of that saline gel today -- it does take a while for your nose to get used to things, and the gel WILL help!

You have made it over the first major hurdle, and even got some sleep. As you read posts here -- that is very, very good for a first night! The lack of snoring report is good too -- how do you feel? I stopped napping (or wanting to while at work) the first week and stopped sleeping all weekend too. I am not a ball of fire, but feel a little better every day! Except for the darn flu that has attacked me! Don't get discouraged if you have a bad night now and then -- it should get progressively better. The other benefit, which many others have had is that you don't have to get up for a bathroom trip as often, or at all -- it was really the apnea that was waking you, not having to go!

Remember that the NAII needs to be on the big side to seal. It seems like it can't POSSIBLY fit into your nose, but needs to be snug not to leak and also not to move around -- that will annoy the insides of your nose worse than a large fit!

Keep up the good work, and sleep well!

Jane