Starting Journey Before Sleep Study

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
vaironltemp

Starting Journey Before Sleep Study

Post by vaironltemp » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:53 pm

Hello Everyone!

I have been reading this forum for the past 2 days and was quite literary about to cry, because I saw so many people who had similar experiences to mine in the past.

A bit of background on me, I am a male university student, slightly overweight, early 20s. I have been having a couple of health issues that did not have much explanation, especially since lab tests were normal, but I never considered it to be sleep apnea. However, over the recent 1.5 year I have noticed my headaches have increased and over the past 3 weeks I have had headaches nearly every day which start when I wake up and decrease afterwards. I was having these at the beginning of the years, changed my glasses prescription and still get kept getting them. I also noticed that I sometimes woke up gasping for air, but this occurred only once or twice a month so I paid no attention to it.

After reading how people with sleep apnea had seen high blood pressure levels, which I have seen increase over the past year, and the migraines they experience, I started to suspect sleep apnea a lot more. I understand that until I get a sleep study I cannot confirm if I have sleep apnea at all or other sleep disorders, but I believe trying a CPAP machine could be beneficial.

My main problem is that I have no health insurance, I will be getting it in about 2 months. I know having no health insurance in the US is horrible, but I was in a tough situation and could not buy it at the first half of the year. I am willing to do a sleep study once I have the insurance, but just need to find something that helps me as soon as possible, because these daily headaches are affecting my performance on my classes and my job.

I saw some recent threads on buying CPAP machines without an Rx, so do apologize to the members that are tire of seeing this. I just wonder what are my best options for getting a CPAP machine ASAP. I was seeing craigslist around me and saw a couple of machines, but most seemed to not be auto. The best one I found was a ResMed S9 Escape Auto for about $200. From what I understand I need something that is auto and able to log sleep data. Amazon has some odd named units with names I do not see being recommended much on this forum and no reviews. So, any help, advice, tips would be appreciated. I will keep reading around the forum to learn more.

Pugsy

Re: Starting Journey Before Sleep Study

Post by Pugsy » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:04 pm

Do NOT get the Escape Auto. It doesn't give you enough data...what it gives is extremely limited.

I would rather see you get a full data fixed cpap than the Escape Auto. The data is critical. APAP makes finding the right pressure a little easier but a person can get it done with a fixed pressure cpap only machine.

We have a forum member who often has good used full data machines. Grayghost4 but you aren't a registered member yet so you can't contact him.

Amazon is a choice...they won't require a RX but their machines are new zero hour and cost more than $200.

You want a machine that has a SD card for data storage..
So in Resmed...S9 or AirSense 10
in Respironics...PR System One or DreamStation
then we look at the various models to make sure they offer full data because not all do.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

vaironltemp

Post by vaironltemp » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:28 pm

Pugsy wrote:Do NOT get the Escape Auto. It doesn't give you enough data...what it gives is extremely limited.

I would rather see you get a full data fixed cpap than the Escape Auto. The data is critical. APAP makes finding the right pressure a little easier but a person can get it done with a fixed pressure cpap only machine.

We have a forum member who often has good used full data machines. Grayghost4 but you aren't a registered member yet so you can't contact him.

Amazon is a choice...they won't require a RX but their machines are new zero hour and cost more than $200.

You want a machine that has a SD card for data storage..
So in Resmed...S9 or AirSense 10
in Respironics...PR System One or DreamStation
then we look at the various models to make sure they offer full data because not all do.

Thank you for the help and keeping me away from that machine!
I registered an hour ago, now just waiting for approval .

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:38 pm

vaironltemp wrote:but just need to find something that helps me as soon as possible
Of course, getting a CPAP system is the only way to go. In the meantime, avoid backsleeping entirely. This may give you some relief temporarily. For most people obstructive sleep apnea is worse on the back because gravity is directly pulling the tongue and soft palate into the airway. On the sides or stomach, the effect of gravity is lessened.

Whatever machines and other equipment you are looking at, always run them through this thread for advise on pricing and suitability.

amess

Post by amess » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:41 pm

No insurance--this is a tough one. Wow-u will need help getting through this and although this is America, without ins., you almost cease to exist. You cannot just keep buying machines and masks. The mask is cheap its the machine that powers the air thats $$$$$. No real answer here. Perhaps a medical supply place will sell a used refurbished one--but then u r still on your own. I have seen docs and therapists now at least 4 time since starting this thing 2 weeks ago--and I am still not happy. Have changed masks 3 times already and changing it again tomorrow.

Suggest waiting and getting some sort of insurance . BTW--you will need insurance as you age unless you are a very wealthy person like "The "Donald. Good Luck!

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:45 pm

Here is a good gently used unit ($469) with one-year seller warranty - http://www.secondwindcpap.com/ResMed-S9-AutoSet.html I bought this machine (without humidifier) from this seller and would do it again.

I am not suggesting you buy that one at this point. It's just an idea of a price that should be your ceiling for an excellent used machine.

amess

Post by amess » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:50 pm

You say u r in your early 20s. You can be on your parents insurance till 26. Is this an option?

vaironltemp

Post by vaironltemp » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:06 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:Here is a good gently used unit ($469) with one-year seller warranty

This is great to know! I will keep that in mind.
I am attempting to not spend too much on the machine, but do know I should go for quality on this purchase.
second wind would require a prescription correct, do they need it at the time of purchase? I am doing a follow-up appointment tomorrow because of my blood pressure, so I'll ask for help on this, but expect to be recommended the sleep study.

vaironltemp

Post by vaironltemp » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:11 pm

amess wrote:No insurance--this is a tough one. Wow-u will need help getting through this and although this is America, without ins., you almost cease to exist. You cannot just keep buying machines and masks. The mask is cheap its the machine that powers the air thats $$$$$. No real answer here. Perhaps a medical supply place will sell a used refurbished one--but then u r still on your own. I have seen docs and therapists now at least 4 time since starting this thing 2 weeks ago--and I am still not happy. Have changed masks 3 times already and changing it again tomorrow.

Suggest waiting and getting some sort of insurance . BTW--you will need insurance as you age unless you are a very wealthy person like "The "Donald. Good Luck!
Very true! Having no insurance here is quite scary. Nope, parents are not an option for me, unfortunately, but as stated above I will be getting insurance in a couple of months. I just can't wait until the whole process is done to begin, my headaches are just getting out of hand.

amess

Post by amess » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:27 pm

Here's the thing. You are young and may not have sleep apnea. Usually occurs as you get older. Lots of reasons for headaches. If you have no access to any physician then perhaps the ER. Hate to suggest ER but they may be of some help before they show you the door.

Dont like to see you just buying machines and trying them out.

Another option. There is a home sleep study that may have some value and may be affordable for you. I had this first but no idea how much it cost. Check with
a home care place that sells and distributes medical supplies in your town.

amess

Post by amess » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:34 pm

This place claims to assist those who cannot afford sleep treatment. Go to Sleep Apnea. org. Could not forward the offical link

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:34 pm

vaironltemp wrote:second wind would require a prescription correct, do they need it at the time of purchase?
Yes, a prescription is required (wink, wink).

I can help you find a good supplier who will sell without a script. But, if your doc will write one, you should make sure to get it. If the doc asks about pressure say, say auto CPAP set to 4 min, 20 max. (The prescription legal requirement is damn ridiculous.)

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:36 pm

amess wrote:Usually occurs as you get older.
You need to get your own therapy working before you pass out misinformation. Leave that to xyzzhit.

Midnight Strangler

Post by Midnight Strangler » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:39 pm

I understand that until I get a sleep study I cannot confirm
You said you wake up gasping for breath. Ask your roommate if you snore.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:40 pm

Secondwindcpap will require a RX at the time of purchase if you are in the US.
For about the same you can get a new one at Amazon without RX.
Just yesterday I saw a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for $488
https://www.amazon.com/Res-Med-AirSense ... d+AirSense

If you end up not having OSA and don't need it you can sell it for just about what you paid for it and not lose much.

We have lots of forum members who have gone down the self diagnose and self treat read with great success.
It takes some work and education but it can be done.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.