masks for mouth or sit near nose

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
amess

masks for mouth or sit near nose

Post by amess » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:03 pm

Its me--Amess. Was at Doc yesterday about the vasomotor rhinitis (nose inflamation). He says its probably the pressure of the air causing the problem. I agree.

He is suggesting a mask that blows air into the mouth only or one that sits right underneath the nose but does not go inside. Has anybody here tried out one of these masks, and if so, how did it go? TY

MaxINTJ

Re: masks for mouth or sit near nose

Post by MaxINTJ » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:16 pm

amess wrote:Its me--Amess. Was at Doc yesterday about the vasomotor rhinitis (nose inflamation). He says its probably the pressure of the air causing the problem. I agree.

He is suggesting a mask that blows air into the mouth only or one that sits right underneath the nose but does not go inside. Has anybody here tried out one of these masks, and if so, how did it go? TY
The Dreamwear nasal pillow mask doesn't go inside the nose, neither does the Nuance Pro.
Phillips 960 AutoSV Paving Brick, Phillips Dreamwear Mask - Nothing is working.
Diagnosis of crappy sleep, desats under 80, maybe UARS

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:21 pm

He's been using the Brevida (per a different thread)...which is a nasal pillow mask. Any nasal pillows mask will blow air directly into the nose.

The DreamWear cushion rests under the nostrils with nothing going inside but it also directs all air flow into the nose and I don't see how that would be any different than any nasal pillow mask. It's the same air and same air pressure.

The F & P Oracle doesn't use the nose at all and is strictly a mouth only mask. Nose can't be used or it will leak through the nose just like any mask that doesn't cover the mouth might have mouth leaks.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/fisher ... -mask.html

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

amess

Post by amess » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:24 pm

To Max--TY so much for the mask info. I will look into at the respitory therapists office tomorrow when I go there to get rid of my current mask.

amess

Post by amess » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:30 pm

Pugs--Thanks for the info. I may be doomed here--none of these masks sound good. Dont want to give this up but I may have to. I will be seeing the respitory therapist who supplies this stuff tomorrow and I will check out what you have suggested . Much appreciated advice

MaxINTJ

Post by MaxINTJ » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:34 pm

A mouth only mask would involve closing off the nose in some way, yes?

And Pugsy, I didn't realize the OP was already using a nasal pillow mask. I have seen some that have plugs inserted into the nose and I was thinking it was one of them.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:45 pm

MaxINTJ wrote:A mouth only mask would involve closing off the nose in some way, yes?
Yep...doesn't sound like anything I want to be ever doing but some people have such chronic congestion it doesn't matter and others are okay with swimmer's nose plugs...yuck
MaxINTJ wrote:I have seen some that have plugs inserted into the nose and I was thinking it was one of them.
Those you are thinking about are the Nasal Air II type of nasal prong mask. The prongs do actually go up inside the nose. I tried one once just for grins. Wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be but the sizing has to be absolutely perfect when it inflates. The inflation is what gives a person the seal.
Too small and it won't seal...too big and it hurts like a SOB. The do have like 8 sizes I think but I happened to be in between sizes.
One size was just a bit too small and the next size was too big and when inflated hurt something awful. I couldn't even sleep with it.
They have been around for a long time but no one has made anything new along those lines in a long, long time. It's not a very popular mask.

The OP is having issues with his sinuses and dry mouth. He's between a rock and a hard place since he is like you...real particular about his preferences and needs. His choices are limited. The Oracle is known for causing dry mouth..and they tell you to be sure and use the most moisture you can get and for some people even that isn't enough so they use 2 humidifiers.

He's going to have to decide which problem is the worst problem and then work with fixing the lessor problem. I can't think of anything that will easily take care of both his problems at the same time.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

WearyOne

Post by WearyOne » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:46 pm

Pugsy, would FitLife work? Kind of extreme, I guess, but you don't have to close off the mouth or nose and it doesn't touch the nose at all.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:54 pm

WearyOne wrote:Pugsy, would FitLife work?
I don't know. It's such a bitch to get to stay sealed and if he mouth breathes he's going to get dry mouth with it and he doesn't want to use humidity because of the sinus issues when moisture gets added.

His main issues...lips getting stuck..so that's dry mouth most likely from mouth breathing. We all know that full face masks don't always fix dry mouth.
and humidity bothers his sinuses really bad. He wants cold dry air.

I don't know all the particulars involved with his OSA but maybe look into an oral device if he can't find a mask that meets all his requirements. Some therapy is better than no therapy.

MaxINTJ

Post by MaxINTJ » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:57 pm

Pugsy wrote: He's between a rock and a hard place since he is like you...real particular about his preferences and needs. His choices are limited.
Like me? I only have one requirement, well, OK, technically two...

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:59 pm

MaxINTJ wrote:Like me? I only have one requirement, well, OK, technically two...
Like you yes.. and your two requirements are really, really big requirements. At least big for you which is really all that matters.

MaxINTJ

Post by MaxINTJ » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:00 pm

OK, I'm not understanding something.

If a person mouth breathes without a CPAP and is just fine with room air, how does a CPAP dry out the mouth? As far as I know, the CPAP does not increase the volume of air passing through, it simply pressurizes it.

skylark40

Post by skylark40 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:00 pm

I tired an oral mask one night. Once! Never again. Imagine sitting behind a jet with your mouth open. If you're okay with your tongue being dried out and not a drop of moisture in your mouth then you can give one a try.

skylark40

Post by skylark40 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:01 pm

MaxINTJ wrote:OK, I'm not understanding something.

If a person mouth breathes without a CPAP and is just fine with room air, how does a CPAP dry out the mouth? As far as I know, the CPAP does not increase the volume of air passing through, it simply pressurizes it.
Pressure + small tube output = increased velocity

MaxINTJ

Post by MaxINTJ » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:02 pm

Pugsy wrote:
MaxINTJ wrote:Like me? I only have one requirement, well, OK, technically two...
Like you yes.. and your two requirements are really, really big requirements. At least big for you which is really all that matters.
I figured they would both be something a LOT of people needed. Hose at the top and minimal projection. So yes, they tend to be closely related, but technically two...