Bags under eyes?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
skylark40

Re: Bags under eyes?

Post by skylark40 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:45 pm

Esme wrote:Skylark40, in another post you said you’ve tried a quite a few masks. Have you ever used one that didn’t cause under-eye edema? As a fellow bag-sufferer, I’d be interested in hearing about masks that don’t cause this problem. Nothing, including Preparation H, has worked for me after-the-fact, so I think prevention is the only option. Cold packs or cucumber slices might work, but as you mentioned you need to lie down with them on your face, and I have no time for that in my morning routine.

I’ve been experimenting with a couple of strategies to prevent under-eye bags, with some success – nothing that eliminates them entirely, but keeps them somewhat under control in terms of size. The key seems to be distributing the pressure of the CPAP mask in some way across the upper face. Cosmetic under-eye patches – those crescent shaped thingies that you get from the drugstore that are meant to be worn for 30 minutes or so to “cure” bags and dark circles – do help a little. I wear a pair under my mask all night long and they help keep the bag size under control by distributing the pressure of the mask instead of concentrating it in one area. Also, I’m a side sleeper and these prevent the lopsided effect that comes from spending more time sleeping on one side than on the other. The drawback is that they are too pricey for every-night use, so I save them for those special occasions – like when I have an important meeting at work and don’t want to show up looking like I was binge-drinking the night before.
This is the first time I've noticed such extreme bags under my eyes. My previous mask, the Swift for Her nasal mask didn't cause any problems, apart from me not being able to keep my mouth shut.

I do think you're on the right track in redistributing the pressure of the straps on the face. I stole the soft covers I bought for my Swift mask to use on my new Amara View. They help, but not enough. Something wider...hmmm

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:05 pm

skylark40 wrote:I do think you're on the right track in redistributing the pressure of the straps on the face. I stole the soft covers I bought for my Swift mask to use on my new Amara View. They help, but not enough. Something wider...hmmm
I use Padacheek strap pads on my Amara View and F20. I swap back and forth with these masks, so I have strap pads on both masks.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:10 pm

MaxINTJ wrote:
skylark40 wrote:I think I've cracked the code with mouth breathing and the Amara View mask by using a neck collar. But now I've got bags under my eyes that last all day? What in the world?
I thought mouth breathing was OK with a FFM?
It's much better using FF mask, you get the treatment, but it's not really the body is built to operate. The mouth still looses too much moisture, but leaks don't stop the treatment. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Sleeping Ugly

Post by Sleeping Ugly » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:05 am

jsielke wrote:
Rainmom17 wrote:WearyOne - yes, agree that glasses help cover the bags!
I've never tried it, but someone told me you could freeze a spoon then hold it against the eye bags in the morning.
Yes, that will definitely give you cold eye bags.
Now THAT's funny! And true!
CPAP Therapy: providing restful and restorative sleep, while making you LOOK like you haven't had ANY! --me