Thankful for battery backup during power outage

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
parzad

Re: Thankful for battery backup during power outage

Post by parzad » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:39 pm

TRzzz wrote:The underside of the cover has maybe 3/4" clearance above the side of the box, so it does indeed close. This 55AH battery is a near perfect fit.
Good to know. Heavy I'm sure.

For the record - is this the box from Cabelas you are talking about?
TRzzz wrote:the way I have it works.
That is the important thing.

I've been thinking about putting all of the outlet connections inside so the setup remains water tight for those (like rafter girl) who may have a need. You would have access to everything once opened. But closed it would be water tight.

I am talking about the box from Cabelas w/35ah battery, I think you could fit a small charger and possibly some other battery things or wires. Not sure if there would be room w/55ah battery.

Also thought about if someone wanted to transport their cpap in a water tight container (again maybe someone like rafter girl) or just using it for a carry-on hard case when flying. It should fit nicely under a seat or in overhead. I haven't tried it but suspect the full cpap and humidifier should fit inside.

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:45 pm

I cheated. I got a whole house generator.

I did without my Beastie for 5 mortal days after Hurricane Isaac hit New Orleans in 2011.

After the first night, I dosed, sitting up in a chair. When the power came back, I slept around the clock for a good 24 hours.

We said, "Never again!"

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

TRzzz

Post by TRzzz » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:15 am

parzad wrote:
TRzzz wrote:The underside of the cover has maybe 3/4" clearance above the side of the box, so it does indeed close. This 55AH battery is a near perfect fit.
Good to know. Heavy I'm sure.

For the record - is this the box from Cabelas you are talking about?
Yep.
Here's the charging port on the backside.

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:05 pm

TRzzz wrote:Full parts list
Atlas 55Ah battery
Great idea thanks for the parts list.
I don't remember you posting a price for this 55A battery but using that link showed that today the price is $110.
IMO for that price I can get a 100AH battery @Walmart or two 35ah @Apex.

Do you remember what you paid for the 55ah battery?

TIA

parzad

Post by parzad » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:41 pm

@TRzzz do you remember how much you paid for your battery? Was it a 55ah?
TIA

CapnLoki

Post by CapnLoki » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:42 am

My quick search of Amazon shows a number of 55AH batteries at $120 and up. This is about double the U1 (35AH) price of $65, so there doesn't appear to be any economy of scale at this point. Of course, if this size is perfect fit for your needs, the small premium is no big deal.

Additional Comments: Pressure 9-20, average ~9.5; often use battery power while off-grid
Hark, how hard he fetches breath . . .  Act II, Scene IV, King Henry IV Part I, William Shakespeare
Choosing a Battery thread: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t1140 ... ttery.html

LoBattery

Post by LoBattery » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:38 am

I use one of these on my battery. It will measure watts, volts and amps. In addition it records peak amps, total watt and amp hours as well as peak amps and watts along with minimum battery voltage. I love these little units and have several. Fairly accurate but may show a few milliamps with no load. Only reads current in one direction and in the negative black lead. Only a single red wire needs to be connected. If you put the battery negative on a switch between both sides of unit, you could measure charge current and AH.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-RC-130A- ... SwA3dYILcA
Seeing and believing are often both wrong. FOW