VASOMOTOR RHINITIS AND CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
AMESS

VASOMOTOR RHINITIS AND CPAP

Post by AMESS » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:44 pm

hAVE ALLERGIES AND VASOMOTOR RHINITIS. fOR THOSE WHO DONT KNOW WHAT THIS IS---REACTION TO COLD OR HOT AIR, PERFUMES, ANY STRONG SMELL ETC. INFLAMES NOSE MEMBRANES. OK WITH CPAP IF I DO NOT USE WATER BUT SO DRY LIPS STICK TO TEETH. aNYBODY HERE WITH THIS PROBLEM? aNYBODY WITH AN ANSWER?? Sorry for caps--

Pugsy

Re: VASOMOTOR RHINITIS AND CPAP

Post by Pugsy » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:53 pm

Please clarify...you don't have issues with the rhinitis if you don't use water but you do have dry mouth if you don't use water in the chamber???

Which type of mask are you using?
Dry mouth/lips are usually a sign of mouth breathing and not so much humidity use.
People complain of dry mouth with full face masks even...with max humidity. So humidity doesn't guarantee no dry mouth.
Usually have to address the mouth breathing or add some sort of moisturizing product like Biotene or something.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

AMESS

Post by AMESS » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:59 pm

I have problems with vasomotor rhinitis. example: Cannot sleep with a/c on--blowing cold air causes membranes to swell. Now finding cpap machine with water on is causing the same thing. If I use no water its too dry. If I use water I am getting swollen nose membranes and am sick all day. Anybody?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:02 pm

Which machine are you using and are you using a heated hose with it?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:12 pm

And are you sure the dryness is lack of humidity or could it possibly be that you sleep with your mouth open (and drying out), losing Cpap air that way?

amess

Post by amess » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:07 pm

I thought this would be a place for getting info. and not being beat up for accidently having the caps lock on. Whats wrong with you people?

WearyOne

Post by WearyOne » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:37 pm

amess wrote:I thought this would be a place for getting info. and not being beat up for accidently having the caps lock on. Whats wrong with you people?
Amess, don't pay any attention to him. Unfortunately, there are a few around here who like to pick at things that have nothing to do with helping someone. He tends to be the worst, unfortunately.

You know, I've actually never looked into vasomotor rhinitis. But the symptoms you describe sound a lot like mine. I don't have the hot/cold thing, but boy am I sensitive to perfumes or any strong smell, even newspaper ink! I don't think the humidifier causes me any more problems. And I have horrible dry mouth WITH the humidifier. Does your nose get so bad that it will bleed sometimes just seemingly out of the blue?

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:29 pm

xxyzx wrote:all caps is the one thing internet users agree on
they are annoying and it is considered shouting
THAT IS YOUR RULE NOT MINE
GOT THAT

Lucyhere

Post by Lucyhere » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:39 pm

Guest wrote:
GOT THAT

+1

It's easier on the eyes if people don't type with their caps lock on... but it's not the big deal that some people make it out to be.
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for her w/humid air/heated Humidifier
Bleep/P10

Gerald?

Post by Gerald? » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:59 pm

Hi

If you can answer some of Pugsy's questions, I suspect she will provide you with some excellent tips to help.

Worst case you could always look at a mask like this.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/fisher ... -mask.html

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:50 am

xxyzx wrote:
Guest wrote:
GOT THAT
not my rule at all

i was told that and seen others say it many many times
SINCE WHEN DID YOU ABIDE BY ANYTHING SOMEONE ELSE SAID

amess

Post by amess » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:36 am

Yes, using heated hose with water. Swells nose membranes. No heat and water--lips stick to teeth. Seeing doc tomorrow. Need cpap badly. Having 68 episodes per hr and also have pulmonary hypertension. Not enough oxygen going from heart to lungs. Arteries have thickened. Rare. Have not met anyone with this.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:04 pm

Which problem is worse...lips sticking or nasal membranes reacting and swelling? Looks like you have a hard choice to make.

You are using the Brevida...so it's possible you are mouth breathing and if that is the case if you can stop the mouth breathing the dry mouth issues should reduce. Stopping the mouth breathing (if that is your problem) easier said than done.

When using the heated hose you can turn off the heat and even turn off the heat to the water chamber so that you get minimal moisture added to the air. I don't know if it will help the dry mouth or not without adding to the nasal issues but I just wanted to tell you that even with a heated hose...the hose air temp can be turned off and water can be in the water chamber without adding heat which greatly reduces the moisture output.

Or use one of those products out there designed to add moisture back to the lips or mouth.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:20 pm

xxyzx wrote:depends on the real cause

i do NOT mouth breathe yet i get the dry mouth and lips sticking to teeth
I never said that YOU did...I wasn't talking to YOU...I was talking to the OP in this thread...how do you always find a way to make everything about YOU?

Do you not bother to read what people say?
Pugsy wrote:You are using the Brevida...so it's possible you are mouth breathing and if that is the case if you can stop the mouth breathing the dry mouth issues should reduce. Stopping the mouth breathing (if that is your problem) easier said than done.
And how do you know for 100% certainty you don't mouth breathe when you are asleep????

Never mind answering the questions...I don't really care what your answer might be.

amess

Post by amess » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:46 pm

TY for that advice on the mouth only mask. It may just be what I need