Favorite Nasal Pillow Mask?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
palindrome17

Favorite Nasal Pillow Mask?

Post by palindrome17 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:16 pm

Hello- I've only just begun therapy and have started with the Resmed N20 nasal mask. I've decided while it's early that I want to try a nasal pillow mask since I have had success sleeping and breathing through my nose. (If I don't like it I can still go back)

What are some of your favorite nasal pillow masks? Notice I did not say "Which one is the best one?" I understand it depends on each person. I just want to get a feel for what's got good reviews before I go to the DME.

Pugsy

Re: Favorite Nasal Pillow Mask?

Post by Pugsy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:25 pm

You can go to cpap.com and check out the various masks and read the reviews.

But as to my own personal preferences...as little on my face and head as possible and I give up a bit of stability with that preference.
It's changed over the years with the release of the newer models.

Right now the P10 is still my primary mask.
I used the DreamWear Gel pillows for 3 or 4 months but finally got annoyed with the mask movement leaks...I think I need a slightly smaller nasal pillow than the Small size and they don't make it. It's still a good mask.
ResMed Swift FX is a good one. Very similar to the P10 in terms of the pillow and the headgear is more adjustable...but the vent isn't silent like the P10 vent. It is probably more stable than the P10 because it has some actual real and easy adjustable straps.

My husband prefers that I use the P10...he doesn't get a cold blast of air from the vent like he did with the Swift FX or the DreamWear or the other pillow masks without diffused venting system. He never complained about the venting...so I didn't really know it bothered him until about a month after I started using the P10 and he chimes in "are you using a different mask...I don't get a blast of cold air if I get too close to you"
So he noticed. He had never complained though. Especially noticeable in the winter when our bedroom gets quite chilly.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Cpapian

Post by Cpapian » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:35 pm

What a sweetie! (Your husband I mean).

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:46 pm

Cpapian wrote:What a sweetie! (Your husband I mean).
Indeed he is. He would never ever complain about my cpap. He said the cold air wasn't horrible but it was nice to not have it hit him.
My machines have always been quiet...so quiet that he used to poke me in the side and say "wake up and put your mask and machine on"
problem was...I had it on...but he woke me up
I finally got tired of that and showed him how to reach up and put his hand over my face so he would feel the vented air and he would know the machine was on. He can do that in the dark and not wake me up.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palindrome17

Post by palindrome17 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:59 pm

Aww that's sweet of him indeed!

Yeah I'm most likely going with the P10. I know it has some flaws such as stability like you mentioned, as well as the lack of a swivel at the hose. Don't know if either are really dealbreakers.

Any chance there's going to be a P20 soon?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:13 pm

palindrome17 wrote:Any chance there's going to be a P20 soon?
Not that I know of. Now they might be working on something but they (ResMed) always keeps all that stuff hush hush until the release.

The lack of a swivel isn't that big of a deal to me. The mask frame and short hose are so light and flexible that I never really have missed the swivel.
My biggest gripe in terms of stability is that back strap. It will sometimes try to ride up the back of my head but it's funny the pillows don't become dislodged very easily. I have woke up with the back strap up on the top of my head with the top strap and the pillows still snug and sealed. It doesn't always ride up though. No mask is ever perfect anyway. There's always some little something that I feel could be "better".
I have yet to find a mask that couldn't be "improved" in some fashion. Always some little something that could be better.

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:03 pm

I started with the Swift FX. I really liked it but I had problems with its small hose. I then moved to the Nuance and it was pretty good.

When the Brevida came out I gave it a try and am finding it works very well. In addition my wife loves the fact that it doesn't blow air in her face.

JimW159

Post by JimW159 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:01 am

A year ago I would have been solidly in the P10 fan camp. Now, however, things have changed - since switching over to the F&P Brevida, I find it to be the most comfortable and easily adjusted pillow mask I have ever used. It also provides a diffuser for the vent that dramatically quietens the exhalation; additionaly, the wings surrounding the pillows allow it to rest more gently and securely in the nostrils, greatly minimizing the pressure on the nose. The P10 remains my backup, though - it has a well-earned positive reputation.

zonker

Post by zonker » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:46 pm

JimW159 wrote:A year ago I would have been solidly in the P10 fan camp. Now, however, things have changed - since switching over to the F&P Brevida, I find it to be the most comfortable and easily adjusted pillow mask I have ever used. It also provides a diffuser for the vent that dramatically quietens the exhalation; additionaly, the wings surrounding the pillows allow it to rest more gently and securely in the nostrils, greatly minimizing the pressure on the nose. The P10 remains my backup, though - it has a well-earned positive reputation.
hmm...thanks for the recommendation. our hosts have it for $79. at that price, i think i may snag it.

it looks like it has some sort of "cup" that the nose fits into. is this what you mean by "the wings surrounding the pillows"?
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Sleeping Ugly

Post by Sleeping Ugly » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:52 pm

I use a Nuance nasal pillow. I haven't tried any other nasal pillow mask, but this is a no fuss mask, with little headgear, really lightweight, very comfortable and seals great. I find it oddly comforting to have the air going directly into my nostrils. Absolutely no leaks when I lay on my side. It would be hard to convince me to try a different one. Well, ok, maybe not THAT hard, I am kinda fickle. The next greatest thing, ya know? LOL!
CPAP Therapy: providing restful and restorative sleep, while making you LOOK like you haven't had ANY! --me

AMK

Post by AMK » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:57 pm

Note that the Swift FX and the P10 have different sized pillows, meaning if you are a medium in one you will not necessarily be a medium in the other. The P10 pillows did not work for me. I will continue to use the Swift FX for as long as it is made. Very stable on my head at night. I wear my long hair in a loose bun at my neck and the bottom loop of the back of the headgear goes under that. I have to tape my mouth shut but c'est la vie.

RicaLynn

Post by RicaLynn » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:26 pm

AMK wrote:Note that the Swift FX and the P10 have different sized pillows, meaning if you are a medium in one you will not necessarily be a medium in the other.
Agree. The P10 pillows seem to run small, meaning if you use a M in anything else, you'll likely need a L in the P10.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:41 pm

RicaLynn wrote: Agree. The P10 pillows seem to run small, meaning if you use a M in anything else, you'll likely need a L in the P10.
I agree also.
I can wear the XS in every other nasal pillow mask out there but with the P10 the XSmall is a bit too small and would try to crawl up inside my nose and when it did that it would collapse and I couldn't breathe comfortably and it would wake me up.
Switched to the Small and it never happened again. So they do apparently tend to run a bit on the small side.
zonker wrote:it looks like it has some sort of "cup" that the nose fits into. is this what you mean by "the wings surrounding the pillows"?
Yes..it's sort of a cup like thingy. Mainly on the sides though. I tried the Brevida and liked it well enough but the back strap is a bit too long and I never got around to doing surgery on it and shortening it. It would slide up way too often on the back of my head and caused too many wake ups because of that.

zonker

Post by zonker » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:58 pm

Pugsy wrote:
RicaLynn wrote: Agree. The P10 pillows seem to run small, meaning if you use a M in anything else, you'll likely need a L in the P10.
I agree also.
I can wear the XS in every other nasal pillow mask out there but with the P10 the XSmall is a bit too small and would try to crawl up inside my nose and when it did that it would collapse and I couldn't breathe comfortably and it would wake me up.
Switched to the Small and it never happened again. So they do apparently tend to run a bit on the small side.
zonker wrote:it looks like it has some sort of "cup" that the nose fits into. is this what you mean by "the wings surrounding the pillows"?
Yes..it's sort of a cup like thingy. Mainly on the sides though. I tried the Brevida and liked it well enough but the back strap is a bit too long and I never got around to doing surgery on it and shortening it. It would slide up way too often on the back of my head and caused too many wake ups because of that.
grrr...i hate my browser since chromebook did it's last upgrade; makes it hard to see the little slide thingy on the right. anywho...thanks for that info. think i will still try it to see how it goes. i'm perfectly content with my mask, but who knows what a new one may bring?
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

amess

Post by amess » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:26 am

I am using Brevida nasal pillow mask. Its good except when I turn over it leaks. Checking this with doc to see if there is a better one around