Pressure--What am I looking at?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Sleeping Ugly

Pressure--What am I looking at?

Post by Sleeping Ugly » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:10 am

I am hideously confused (which is not unusual).

I have a Respironics DreamStation Auto A-flex. I don't know the source of pressure information that shows on my machine.

When I got my machine, it was set at a range 4 - 20. It is not set on "smart ramp;" it is set on regular ramp and the ramp pressure was set at 4. I went in and changed the ramp pressure to 5.

When I turn on my machine at night, I see a big circle and inside that circle it says something like "Therapy pressure (sorry not at home to read exact message) and the number inside the circle reads is "6.5." WHERE is that information inside the circle on "therapy pressure" coming from ? Shouldn't the pressure on start up of the mahcine be the same as what the ramp pressure is set at?

Thanks!
BTY--I am aka "Lahree." This is my registered name that I could not use while I was waiting for approval on my registry.
CPAP Therapy: providing restful and restorative sleep, while making you LOOK like you haven't had ANY! --me

Pugsy

Re: Pressure--What am I looking at?

Post by Pugsy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:23 am

Are you actually pushing the ramp button when you start the machine each night?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Sleeping Ugly

Post by Sleeping Ugly » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:24 am

No, I am not pushing the ramp button. I am just pushing the main "go" button, lol. The "start your engines" button.
CPAP Therapy: providing restful and restorative sleep, while making you LOOK like you haven't had ANY! --me

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:27 am

Next time when you push the "go" button to start the air flow go ahead and push the ramp button at the same time.
With Respironics machines the ramp button needs to be pushed manually to start the ramp despite what it might be set at in the setup menu area.
That's why you aren't seeing the ramp pressure of 5...you aren't turning ramp on by pushing the button.

Now ResMed machines...different story. It's all controlled within the setup menu and if someone doesn't want ramp they have to go into the setup menu and turn it off.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Bertha deBlues

Post by Bertha deBlues » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:30 am

Hi Lahree/Sleeping Ugly! Pugsy's right about the Dreamstation Auto. It won't start at the ramp pressure unless you push the "ramp" button, although I don't recall having to push it simultaneously with the "on" button. I used the ramp when I first started therapy, but found it much more comfortable without it. It's all individual preference. Love your avatar!!
And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make. - Paul McCartney

Sleeping Ugly

Post by Sleeping Ugly » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:40 am

Pugsy wrote:Next time when you push the "go" button to start the air flow go ahead and push the ramp button at the same time.
With Respironics machines the ramp button needs to be pushed manually to start the ramp despite what it might be set at in the setup menu area.
That's why you aren't seeing the ramp pressure of 5...you aren't turning ramp on by pushing the button.

Now ResMed machines...different story. It's all controlled within the setup menu and if someone doesn't want ramp they have to go into the setup menu and turn it off.
Thanks for the info! I didn't know that just starting the machine does not start it at the ramp pressure. I actually really like the therapy pressure of 6.5 (wherever it is getting that information from)--I was just confused because in "Lori World" it is logical that your ramp speed would = your starting pressure.

I think I will leave well enough alone now. Sometimes my brain hurts from trying to figure out how to work machinery!

Sleeping Ugly

Post by Sleeping Ugly » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:42 am

Bertha deBlues wrote:Hi Lahree/Sleeping Ugly! Pugsy's right about the Dreamstation Auto. It won't start at the ramp pressure unless you push the "ramp" button, although I don't recall having to push it simultaneously with the "on" button. I used the ramp when I first started therapy, but found it much more comfortable without it. It's all individual preference. Love your avatar!!
Hi Bertha!

I don't need the ramp--I prefer that nice stream of air pressure. Four or five is too low, even for a start up pressure, but I became intimidated when I was messing around with dials.

Thanks for the comment on my avatar. It was fun to try to find one that sums up living with a CPAP! LOL!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:44 am

Bertha deBlues wrote:although I don't recall having to push it simultaneously with the "on" button.
It doesn't have to be done at the exact same time. It can actually be done at any time but I mentioned it to be done when the blower is turned on so she can see the pressure drop down to whatever the ramp starting pressure is.

People who want to use ramp can use it at anytime...doesn't have to be the beginning of the night.
Like if they wake up and the pressure is really high and uncomfortable and they normally use ramp for comfort a person can reach over and push the ramp button and never turn the machine off and the ramp will come on and do its thing.

If a Respironics user doesn't want to use the ramp...just don't push the ramp button and it doesn't really matter what it is set at in the clinical setup menu area.
Now ResMed users...different story since the ramp controls are all in the setup menu area.

I started cpap therapy with a Respironics machine and still own one but it is just a back up machine.
I never bothered setting the ramp at anything in the setup menu area because I never really felt the need to use it anyway.
It was there available just in case though.

luvsbluberries

Post by luvsbluberries » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:03 pm

If I may ask a question...?

When people speak of ramp, it makes me think of a gentle-ish build up to your prescribed pressure. At least that is what I was expecting. My ramp is at 14. It seems odd to me and I don't know if something is wrong. I'm supposed to hear from the doctor today (I hope) to have some adjustments made... but I've started to feel kinda scared, like they aren't watching out for me.

So is 14 unusual?

eta: my Rx is 5-20

Sleeping Ugly

Post by Sleeping Ugly » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:14 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Bertha deBlues wrote:although I don't recall having to push it simultaneously with the "on" button.
It doesn't have to be done at the exact same time. It can actually be done at any time but I mentioned it to be done when the blower is turned on so she can see the pressure drop down to whatever the ramp starting pressure is.

People who want to use ramp can use it at anytime...doesn't have to be the beginning of the night.
Like if they wake up and the pressure is really high and uncomfortable and they normally use ramp for comfort a person can reach over and push the ramp button and never turn the machine off and the ramp will come on and do its thing.

If a Respironics user doesn't want to use the ramp...just don't push the ramp button and it doesn't really matter what it is set at in the clinical setup menu area.
Now ResMed users...different story since the ramp controls are all in the setup menu area.

I started cpap therapy with a Respironics machine and still own one but it is just a back up machine.
I never bothered setting the ramp at anything in the setup menu area because I never really felt the need to use it anyway.
It was there available just in case though.
So what is the "6.5" number that I see as therapy pressure? What setting is making the machine use that pressure for airflow when I start the machine? How does it "know" (LOL, artificial intelligence??) to run at that pressure?

Also, if my Rx is 4 -20, I thought that meant the lowest my pressure would go is 4 (which is what my ramp was originally set at) and the highest pressure the machine would output is 20 on a "as needed" basis because I am on an auto machine. If this is accurate, if, during the night, the machine senses I don't need very much pressure, it could conceivably drop to as low as 4? OR, is that part of the "flex" feature?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:15 pm

luvsbluberries wrote:When people speak of ramp, it makes me think of a gentle-ish build up to your prescribed pressure. At least that is what I was expecting. My ramp is at 14. It seems odd to me and I don't know if something is wrong. I'm supposed to hear from the doctor today (I hope) to have some adjustments made... but I've started to feel kinda scared, like they aren't watching out for me.

So is 14 unusual?

eta: my Rx is 5-20
Do you have an AirCurve or an AirSense machine?
5 to 20 is a typical AirSense 10 AutoSet machine setting...not for a bilevel machine which is what you have showing in your profile.

Ramp is indeed a start lower and move upward gently and slowly toward the minimum prescribed pressure.

A ramp setting of 14 would be unusual for sure. Default factory setting for ramp is 4 cm on the AirSense 10 AutoSet.
Don't remember what it might be for the Aircurve bilevel machine.

Do you know how to go into the clinical menu setup area where you can verify all the settings?
This manual is for the AirSense 10 AutoSet.
https://sleep.tnet.com/home/files/resme ... -guide.pdf
How to get to the setup menu area is the same for all the ResMed AirSense and AirCurve models.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:21 pm

Sleeping Ugly wrote:So what is the "6.5" number that I see as therapy pressure? What setting is making the machine use that pressure for airflow when I start the machine? How does it "know" (LOL, artificial intelligence??) to run at that pressure?
Are you using exhale relief? That would likely explain the 6.5 you are seeing.
Go into the clinical menu and see what all the settings are.
Sleeping Ugly wrote:Also, if my Rx is 4 -20, I thought that meant the lowest my pressure would go is 4 (which is what my ramp was originally set at) and the highest pressure the machine would output is 20 on a "as needed" basis because I am on an auto machine. If this is accurate, if, during the night, the machine senses I don't need very much pressure, it could conceivably drop to as low as 4? OR, is that part of the "flex" feature?
The lowest the machine can go is 4 cm...now you can change it so that the lowest it can go is the minimum pressure setting when in auto adjusting (apap) mode. When I was using apap my minimum was 10 cm..and it never went below that 10 cm.
Now sometimes it went to 18...but it never dropped below my minimum setting of 10.

luvsbluberries

Post by luvsbluberries » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:30 pm

Pugsy wrote: Do you have an AirCurve or an AirSense machine?
5 to 20 is a typical AirSense 10 AutoSet machine setting...not for a bilevel machine which is what you have showing in your profile.
I have the AirCurve 10 VAuto. He was going to prescribe an APAP, but I wanted a bilevel. When my husband picked up the Rx at the office, he was given a printed form that did not mention bilevel (even though he'd agreed to that earlier), and we had him write another one for the DME (I'm paying out of pocket). He hurriedly wrote a handwritten prescription.

Part of the reason I wanted the bilevel is that I'm prone to swallowing air and hoped to avoid buying 2 machines. I am swallowing air now, big time.

Thank you, Pugsy. I just feel like something isn't right and so far people talk to me like it is a matter of getting used to being on CPAP (and maybe it is), but this just isn't what I was expecting.

Yes, I do know how to get into those settings. I have an appointment and will look at it when I get back tonight. Thank you so much.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:36 pm

luvsbluberries wrote:Part of the reason I wanted the bilevel is that I'm prone to swallowing air and hoped to avoid buying 2 machines. I am swallowing air now, big time.
I understand. When you get into that setup menu write down all your settings and let's see if maybe something could be altered a bit to maybe help with the air in the belly issues.
I have no idea what you are now using to offer anything.
Lots of potential little tweaks with a bilevel machine to maybe help the air issues and not compromise therapy.

Sleeping Ugly

Post by Sleeping Ugly » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:38 pm

luvsbluberries wrote:
Pugsy wrote: Do you have an AirCurve or an AirSense machine?
I have the AirCurve 10 VAuto. He was going to prescribe an APAP, but I wanted a bilevel. When my husband picked up the Rx at the office, he was given a printed form that did not mention bilevel (even though he'd agreed to that earlier), and we had him write another one for the DME (I'm paying out of pocket). He hurriedly wrote a handwritten prescription.

Part of the reason I wanted the bilevel is that I'm prone to swallowing air and hoped to avoid buying 2 machines. I am swallowing air now, big time.

Thank you, Pugsy. I just feel like something isn't right and so far people talk to me like it is a matter of getting used to being on CPAP (and maybe it is), but this just isn't what I was expecting.

Yes, I do know how to get into those settings. I have an appointment and will look at it when I get back tonight. Thank you so much.
May I kindly suggest that you create a separate thread for yourself, Luvsberries, so that our information is not being mixed up and that your specific questions may be answered?