Developing allergy to CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
kell420

Developing allergy to CPAP

Post by kell420 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:24 pm

In the last few months I have an issue where my nose becomes plugged up after about 10 minutes using my Resmed 10. I have played with the humidity controls doesn't seem really change anything to get sleep I have to resort to using Afrin nose spray. It works great but also causes my sinuses to become addicted to the stuff at the time I go to bed my nose will plug up while awake I can get rid of that problem with Ibuprofen I quit the Afrin now I'm back the original problem when I use the CPAP. With Ibuprofen stil plugs up while sleeping but not as bad I think it's affecting how much O2 I'm getting because today I woke up after 7 hours of sleep with a headache and felt strange like I used to feel before I started using a CPAP (Low o2 headache). I have replaced my hose, mask, and tank just to rule out any problems still the same thing. Now I'm back on the Afrin I think I'm going to see the doctor see what he says.

Re: Developing allergy to CPAP

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:01 am

I'm also struggling with this a little, but to a much lesser extent than you are.

Have you tried milder stuff than Afrin? I use Nasacort. Others use Flonase. Perhaps those might be sufficient?

Also I do Neilmed Sinus Rinse as often as daily.

When I mentioned the issue to my ENT, she suggested lower pressure and also stressed using something like Ocean nasal spray frequently during the day.

Perhaps you're a candidate for septoplasty. You should definitely discuss your issues with a medical professional.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:08 am

kell420 wrote: with Ibuprofen. With Ibuprofen stil plugs
You might notice that the ibuprofen bottle says "for relief of pain.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:41 am

Does the mask rest across the top of your nose? Some people get congestion if that part of the nose has pressure. You may need to switch to a different type mask.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:16 am

Try the Flonase instead, or a Neti-pot nasal rinse pre-bedtime.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:35 am

kell420 wrote:In the last few months I have an issue where my nose becomes plugged up after about 10 minutes using my Resmed 10.
Exactly which mask are you using?

I get this with any mask that rests across the nasal bridge area and puts pressure on the turbinates.
Solution...don't use any mask that rests on the nasal bridge area.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

phuqueutoo

Post by phuqueutoo » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:39 pm

xxyzx wrote:
kell420 wrote:In the last few months I have an issue where my nose becomes plugged up after about 10 minutes using my Resmed 10. I have played with the humidity controls doesn't seem really change anything to get sleep I have to resort to using Afrin nose spray. It works great but also causes my sinuses to become addicted to the stuff at the time I go to bed my nose will plug up while awake I can get rid of that problem with Ibuprofen I quit the Afrin now I'm back the original problem when I use the CPAP. With Ibuprofen stil plugs up while sleeping but not as bad I think it's affecting how much O2 I'm getting because today I woke up after 7 hours of sleep with a headache and felt strange like I used to feel before I started using a CPAP (Low o2 headache). I have replaced my hose, mask, and tank just to rule out any problems still the same thing. Now I'm back on the Afrin I think I'm going to see the doctor see what he says.
=======

your problem is afrin
stay off it

in a few months your nose will settle back to being normal if you STOP using afrin
in the meantime use a FFM and mouth breathe

humidity can make your nose congested
if it bothers you then turn it off

motrin is for pain not sinus congestion

try gargling with salt water and blowing it out your nose and sinuses every morning
take a claritin at night
and stop using afrin

Listen to Pugsy. DO NOT LISTEN TO XXYZX! In case you haven't figured it out from other posts, he is an idiot and gives bad information.

aspen

Post by aspen » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:47 pm

Hold on. Actually increased stuffiness IS listed as an adverse effect of Afrin. It could be causing a problem.

It's a major side effect where you are supposed to see your doctor right away.

https://www.drugs.com/sfx/afrin-side-effects.html
phuqueutoo wrote:
xxyzx wrote:
kell420 wrote:In the last few months I have an issue where my nose becomes plugged up after about 10 minutes using my Resmed 10. I have played with the humidity controls doesn't seem really change anything to get sleep I have to resort to using Afrin nose spray. It works great but also causes my sinuses to become addicted to the stuff at the time I go to bed my nose will plug up while awake I can get rid of that problem with Ibuprofen I quit the Afrin now I'm back the original problem when I use the CPAP. With Ibuprofen stil plugs up while sleeping but not as bad I think it's affecting how much O2 I'm getting because today I woke up after 7 hours of sleep with a headache and felt strange like I used to feel before I started using a CPAP (Low o2 headache). I have replaced my hose, mask, and tank just to rule out any problems still the same thing. Now I'm back on the Afrin I think I'm going to see the doctor see what he says.
=======

your problem is afrin
stay off it

in a few months your nose will settle back to being normal if you STOP using afrin
in the meantime use a FFM and mouth breathe

humidity can make your nose congested
if it bothers you then turn it off

motrin is for pain not sinus congestion

try gargling with salt water and blowing it out your nose and sinuses every morning
take a claritin at night
and stop using afrin

Listen to Pugsy. DO NOT LISTEN TO XXYZX! In case you haven't figured it out from other posts, he is an idiot and gives bad information.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:01 pm

aspen wrote:Hold on. Actually increased stuffiness IS listed as an adverse effect of Afrin. It could be causing a problem.
Yes but normally if the issue is the Afrin it won't just come on out of the blue 10 minutes after putting the mask on.
And it won't go away when the mask gets removed.
Afrin congestion is there because the nasal mucosa have learned to only respond to the chemicals shrinking the mucosa to relieve the congestion. They want more drugs..like drug addicts.

What I described...had nothing to do with Afrin but I can see someone using Afrin thinking it might help and thus start a nasty little Afrin circle. They don't realize it is the tiniest of pressure on the turbinates causing the congestion.
I had it happen with the Wisp nasal mask...and it wasn't too tight. So even a teeny amount of pressure from a very light nasal cushion can cause it to happen to some people. Take the Wisp off and the congestion goes away in about a minute.
I knew what the problem was because I have had it happen with every mask I have ever tried that rested on the nasal bridge area.

So the OP might be having Afrin rebound but it could also have originally started simply from the congestion caused by the mask resting on the turbinates.

The key to knowing which is what...how soon the congestion comes on and how quickly it goes away without using chemicals.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:02 pm

It sounds like "cpap rhinitis", where contact/pressure on top of the nose causes nasal tissues to engorge.
Only a very few over the nose masks do not do that to me;
---which is why I wear nasal pillows almost exclusively.
I even notice the response if the mask in not attached/no airflow whatsoever.
I can even make it happen with my fingers--no mask at all! ---even a very light touch will do it.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:05 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:I can even make it happen with my fingers--no mask at all! ---even a very light touch will do it.
Yep..me too.
Even the weight of my sunglasses will do it and that's why my prescription glasses are titanium frame...keep those suckers as light as possible.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:29 pm

I have not worn plastic glasses frames since I was a kid--when I was forced to get the cheapest frames possible.
The earpieces were curved so tightly into the back of my ears that I have permanent scars where ulcers formed.
[[[Always LISTEN to your kids when they say something hurts.]]]

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:55 pm

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:58 pm

xxyzx wrote: just proves that palerider / lsat/ 4Q2 are all the same libtard bully using the antifa approach to silence people they dont like personally
Proves nothing.
Believe what you wish but if you think that all your grief is from just one person out to get you using a bunch of different aliases...you are wrong.
Palerider and LSAT are not 4Q2...of that I am dead certain.

4Q2 has decided to be a thorn in your side though and if you are free to call people names...he is free to do the same to you.
He gets the same freedom of speech that you get.

kell420

Post by kell420 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:11 pm

Thanks for the replies ill try that stuff I also have an appointment with the sleep doctor see what he says.