sd claims by resmed - true or not ?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: sd claims by resmed - true or not ?

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:25 am

Nice to find one that is reasonable.

StuUnderPressure

Post by StuUnderPressure » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:28 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Nice to find one that is reasonable.
I have yet to find one that is "reasonable" or "competent" in my 19 years into CPAP, APAP, & now BiPap.

They will nickel & dime you to death on the equipment & the supplies.
But, my point is they all do not seem to care a rat's arse about the SD cards & pass them out like Halloween candy.

Try it.
I think you might be pleasantly surprised.

Now, I am talking about going into a brick & mortar DME & asking for a new SD Card
If you have one with a broken "lock" slider, bring it with you. They will give you a new SD Card & not even keep the "broken" one.

SD Card Formatter 5.0.2 https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/format ... index.html

WearyOne

Post by WearyOne » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:33 pm

StuUnderPressure wrote:Now, I am talking about going into a brick & mortar DME & asking for a new SD Card
If you have one with a broken "lock" slider, bring it with you. They will give you a new SD Card & not even keep the "broken" one.
This is good to know. I was just wondering the other day how long it would be before that slider thing would break. I probably don't need to move it to Locked every time I read it in the computer, but just feel safer doing it that way. Thanks!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:46 pm

WearyOne wrote: I probably don't need to move it to Locked every time I read it in the computer, but just feel safer doing it that way. Thanks!
You don't need to lock the SD card...your Respironics machine doesn't care.

Actually that warning was issued back when the S9 was the latest ResMed machine...and it only pertains to the S9 models and then only to people with certain operating systems on their computer.
Some Macs and some PCs (those with Windows 8.xx or higher) and it's because the operating system puts a little text file on the SD card without asking and the S9 doesn't like having that little text file on the SD card. The text file doesn't really hurt anything but the S9 doesn't care...the card isn't like it expects it to be and will give you an "invalid SD card" message and ask you if you want to erase the card.

None of the Respironics machines care about that little text file and the new AirSense/AirCurve ResMed models don't care.
It's only the S9 models that care.

Now it hurts nothing to go ahead and lock the card but SleepyHead won't/can't do anything to the SD card so it's extra work that really isn't needed unless a person has an S9 and a Mac or Windows 8.xx or higher.
I have Windows 10...with my AirSense/AirCurve machines I don't bother locking it. When I was using the S9 I often forgot and got the invalid card message. Now there is a way to remove that text file which I got real good at doing...so a person doesn't have to erase the card.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

WearyOne

Post by WearyOne » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:10 pm

Pugsy wrote:
WearyOne wrote: I probably don't need to move it to Locked every time I read it in the computer, but just feel safer doing it that way. Thanks!
You don't need to lock the SD card...your Respironics machine doesn't care.

Actually that warning was issued back when the S9 was the latest ResMed machine...and it only pertains to the S9 models and then only to people with certain operating systems on their computer.
Some Macs and some PCs (those with Windows 8.xx or higher) and it's because the operating system puts a little text file on the SD card without asking and the S9 doesn't like having that little text file on the SD card. The text file doesn't really hurt anything but the S9 doesn't care...the card isn't like it expects it to be and will give you an "invalid SD card" message and ask you if you want to erase the card.

None of the Respironics machines care about that little text file and the new AirSense/AirCurve ResMed models don't care.
It's only the S9 models that care.

Now it hurts nothing to go ahead and lock the card but SleepyHead won't/can't do anything to the SD card so it's extra work that really isn't needed unless a person has an S9 and a Mac or Windows 8.xx or higher.
I have Windows 10...with my AirSense/AirCurve machines I don't bother locking it. When I was using the S9 I often forgot and got the invalid card message. Now there is a way to remove that text file which I got real good at doing...so a person doesn't have to erase the card.
Thanks, Pugsy. Guess I'm just a bit paranoid about it. Even SH has a warning about locking the card, but that's probably because problems can arise in the situations you mentioned. And those situations don't apply to me, so no need!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:32 pm

WearyOne wrote:. Even SH has a warning about locking the card, but that's probably because problems can arise in the situations you mentioned. And those situations don't apply to me, so no need!
The earlier versions of SleepyHead didn't have any lock your card warning because it wasn't needed.
Then people with some Macs (not all) started reporting that message so we used to just warn the Mac users that were S9 users.
Then Windows started rolling out the newer versions after Windows 7 and we saw Windows S9 users seeing that message. Didn't take too long to figure out that Windows was doing what the Macs were doing...adding that little text file to the SD card.

I don't know why Mark made the decision to do the blanket warning instead of a S9 specific warning but that's what he did.

Some people just feel better always locking and that's fine. The worst thing that could happen is the plastic slider will break..and replacement SD cards are cheap. I went for years and years never needing to lock even with my S9 because I used Windows 7 and didn't get in any hurry to upgrade my computer to Windows 8 or higher. In fact I went directly from Windows 7 to 10 on my old laptop.
So I had years of habit of not locking because I didn't need to.
When I finally did the upgrade I found that often I would forget to lock it. Years and years of a habit is very difficult to break.

If you sleep better locking the card then lock the card but if you ever forget...it won't hurt a thing no matter what operating system you use on your computer. Respironics just doesn't care.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

StuUnderPressure

Post by StuUnderPressure » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:45 pm

Pugsy wrote:Now there is a way to remove that text file which I got real good at doing...so a person doesn't have to erase the card.
OK, I missed that one.

On my ResMed S9 AutoSet in Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I have to either lock the card before putting it in the desktop or erase it once it is back in the machine.

Enlighten me please.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:52 pm

StuUnderPressure wrote: OK, I missed that one.

On my ResMed S9 AutoSet in Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I have to either lock the card before putting it in the desktop or erase it once it is back in the machine.

Enlighten me please.
You have to go into DOS which isn't hard

rmdir "System Volume Information" /s /q

at the contents of the SD card window hold down the shift key and right click mouse...and choose Open command window and past the above in the black window.
copy/paste just like it is written with the slashes and spaces

Your card has to be unlocked of course...then remove the card from the computer.
You will have to repeat if you forget to lock it again the next time you put it in the computer.
I got so good at it I have that little command on a notepad stuck on my desktop.

StuUnderPressure

Post by StuUnderPressure » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:01 pm

Pugsy wrote:
StuUnderPressure wrote: OK, I missed that one.

Enlighten me please.
You have to go into DOS which isn't hard

rmdir "System Volume Information" /s /q

at the contents of the SD card window hold down the shift key and right click mouse...and choose Open command window and past the above in the black window.
copy/paste just like it is written with the slashes and spaces

Your card has to be unlocked of course...then remove the card from the computer.
You will have to repeat if you forget to lock it again the next time you put it in the computer.
I got so good at it I have that little command on a notepad stuck on my desktop.
THANKS - I will try that.

But, I expect delivery of my ResMed BiPAP tomorrow - so I won't be using the S9 as much.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:54 am

xxyzx wrote:
i found interesting information that others had asked about
and sd readers on laptops ARE rare
nothing was disproved
you are just another lying libtard

desktops may have various card readers built in
most latptopss only have usb ports

What kind of laptops do you look at?

I haven't seen a laptop in the last 10 years that doesn't have a built-in SD card reader. I currently have a Toshiba, 3 HPs, and a Dell. All 5 have SD card readers. I also have two mini laptops, and they both have SD card readers.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:58 am

zoocrewphoto wrote:What kind of laptops do you look at?
He is still using windows XP - at the time his "laptops" have been 'new' (in general not to him personally), SD-Cards were cutting-edge stuff.

I haven't seen one single real laptop / notebook in the last 8 years that had no builtin SD-Reader. Maybe apple does this kind of thing or some cheap china-models? At least some chinese tablets seem to miss the micro-SD-Reader.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:15 am

zoocrewphoto wrote:
xxyzx wrote:
nothing was disproved

I haven't seen a laptop in the last 10 years that doesn't have a built-in SD card reader. I currently have a Toshiba, 3 HPs, and a Dell. All 5 have SD card readers. I also have two mini laptops, and they both have SD card readers.
He only goes bargain basement, or second hand! For my main computer I always built my own, out of quality parts, if I needed a card reader or anything else, I just installed one. I bought a pair of Super Towers, years ago, rebuilt them over 3 times over the years. I no longer do that. Laptops (2), and Tablets (2) do it all, USB 3.0 love it. SD card readers with 128 GB cards for "Jesus Saves" Storage. 10 TB (TB) in USB 3.0 external drive. I have Cloud Storage, but I don't trust the security. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:27 pm

xxyzx wrote:the small thin light laptops do not
Mine does.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:36 pm

xxyzx wrote:
zoocrewphoto wrote:
xxyzx wrote:
nothing was disproved

i have not seen any that do
big desktops may have them
the small thin light laptops do not
Go to NewEgg, look at more than the stripped down toy computers, tablets almost all have them to save weight ans size and power. There are other sites than this forum, i've clicked on some of them. Jim

SD cards are basically old school and being passed over, tech's passed them by for faster and smaller, more efficient. It's hard to find one with a floppy disk reader too.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:40 pm

Mine too... I have 3 HPs and an acer, all have sd card slots. Also have had several other thin small laptops in the past and they have all had sd cards
Tripple XXX must have a "very" old one or needs to check them with his glasses ON his eyes.
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.