sd claims by resmed - true or not ?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
TASmart

Re: sd claims by resmed - true or not ?

Post by TASmart » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:44 pm

I suspect that it's related to the medical device approval, and what specific memory card was called out in the FDA device approval.
All posts reflect my own opinion based on my experience and reading.
Your mileage may vary
Past performance is no guarantee of future results
Consult with your own physician as people very

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:50 pm

TASmart wrote:I suspect that it's related to the medical device approval, and what specific memory card was called out in the FDA device approval.
"Follow The Money", that's the road to truth. (Where's the warning on using off brand filters) Theyforgot that! Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

jim22

Post by jim22 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:46 pm

I suspect they were required to perform some qualification testing, which they did with whatever specific SD card they have rebranded as their own. I would not loose any sleep using a non-Resmed card. If the machine acts flakey or interferes with radios because of the card, then switch to a Resmed card, but it's not very likely. The speed class info is useful.
Jim
BSCSE, computer science and engineering, aerospace

Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset, Swift FX nasal pillows mask

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:18 pm

I understand the FTM (follow the money) logic.
Even tiny amounts add up, and, as we are well aware, these people (?) are GREEDY.

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:49 pm

[quote="xxyzx"What was the source of these questions and answers?

resmeds site
resmed. com/us/en/consumer/support/devices/therapy-data-card-faqs. html[/quote]Why would you not provide that info in the OP?[/quote]

picky picky

i said it was resmed
i gave the content

most fools short of full libturd could google for the url if it really mattered[/quote]The generally accepted internet etiquette is for the poster to provide a link to the information. That is if you want people to believe you , you would make things easy for them to do so. When you don't you just call them names and irritate them like a rash. Your choice.[/quote]

====

that is your rule

i have no need to convince you of anything
i posted info
believe it or dont
you research if you want more
i am not your tutor[/quote]

You are a complete asshole! How's that? Now, you call me a libturd, or whatever your stupid appellation is today for anyone who thinks you are a brain-damaged piece of shit.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:06 pm

Hello, guest.
Welcome to the forum!
Aren't we just the most delightful band of whatever it is we are today?

JiterHG

Post by JiterHG » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:05 pm

xxyzx wrote:

picky picky

i said it was resmed
i gave the content

most fools short of full libturd could google for the url if it really mattered
Guest wrote:The generally accepted internet etiquette is for the poster to provide a link to the information. That is if you want people to believe you , you would make things easy for them to do so. When you don't you just call them names and irritate them like a rash. Your choice.
xxyzx wrote:====

that is your rule

i posted info
believe it or dont
i am not your tutor
Not my rule by any means. It is time for you to google "internet etiquette", young man. I know you won't listen but I felt it only proper to give you good advice.

Civilization has rules and guidelines "for the good of the order".

I am convinced that your highly educated mind just doesn't understand. As in can't grasp the concept.

Go ahead - PROVE ME WRONG.

amenite

Post by amenite » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:58 pm

xxyzx wrote:Q. Why do you recommend using only ResMed-supplied SD cards?

A. ResMed-supplied SD cards should be used in order to meet safety standards (e.g., IEC 60601-1).
Just wondering ... are you obsessing about the SD card type now because your assertion that "SD reader on a laptop is very very rare" was soundly disproved in another thread?

Tragically, all those who paid the premium for their ResMed branded SD cards will never be able to read them on their laptop without special USB adapters as we learn in this thread here
(excepting I think everyone who replied to the thread who owns a laptop):
viewtopic/t156502/First-night-on-APAP-w ... -to-1.html

ROFL!

TedVPAP

Post by TedVPAP » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:51 pm

JiterHG wrote:
xxyzx wrote:

picky picky

i said it was resmed
i gave the content

most fools short of full libturd could google for the url if it really mattered
Guest wrote:The generally accepted internet etiquette is for the poster to provide a link to the information. That is if you want people to believe you , you would make things easy for them to do so. When you don't you just call them names and irritate them like a rash. Your choice.
xxyzx wrote:====

that is your rule

i posted info
believe it or dont
i am not your tutor
Not my rule by any means. It is time for you to google "internet etiquette", young man. I know you won't listen but I felt it only proper to give you good advice.

Civilization has rules and guidelines "for the good of the order".

I am convinced that your highly educated mind just doesn't understand. As in can't grasp the concept.

Go ahead - PROVE ME WRONG.
I don't think a member of "The Greatest Generation" still qualifies as a young man.

Additional Comments: AutoPAP 16-20, Ultimate Chin Strap http://sleepapneasolutionsinc.com/
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment:
how to see your data https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead
how to present your data https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize
how to post your data https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

TedVPAP

Post by TedVPAP » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:56 pm

xxyzx wrote:Q. Why do you recommend using only ResMed-supplied SD cards?

A. ResMed-supplied SD cards should be used in order to meet safety standards (e.g., IEC 60601-1). The electrical safety test authority has determined that S9 therapy devices that use SD cards need to have appropriate clearance from the accessible part of the card to the electronic parts inside the card. ResMed has selected several SD cards that meet the necessary safety requirement and supplies these with the therapy device or as accessories. Not all SD cards on the market meet the clearance requirement or have been tested and validated to work with S9 devices.

Q. Can I use miniSD or microSD cards with my S9?

A. No. While these SD cards, used with an adapter, would work with an S9, they have not been shown to meet the IEC 60601-1 medical electrical equipment safety requirements for this therapy device. As a result, ResMed recommends that they shouldn’t be used.

Q. Can I use SDHC, mini SDHC, micro SDHC, or SDXC cards with S9 therapy devices?

A. No. Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC) cards, as well as mini and micro SDHC cards, and SDXC cards, do not work with S9 therapy devices.

Q. Which SD speed classes work with S9 therapy devices?

A. The SD Speed Class is marked on most SD cards. Class 2 has a guaranteed transfer speed of 2MB per second; Class 4 achieves 4MB; and Class 6 provides 6MB. Note that while S9 therapy devices will work with SD cards at these speeds, only ResMed-supplied SD cards should be used.

INTERESTING FACTOID
Q. How much storage does the S9 therapy device use on the SD card?

A. This varies depending on the size of the card. A 1GB SD card easily stores 365 days of usage data, 30 days of detailed data, and seven days of high-resolution data.
I see nothing false nor would I conclude that I need to only buy a ResMed SD card - I don't care about the medical safety seal.

Additional Comments: AutoPAP 16-20, Ultimate Chin Strap http://sleepapneasolutionsinc.com/
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment:
how to see your data https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead
how to present your data https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize
how to post your data https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:00 pm

If you buy cheap junk parts get left off to make what you buy cheap junk. Those parts scrimped on are fast multi core processors, fast ram and the amount of it, larger hard drives, that are slower, cheap video cards, batteries that are to weak to power 8 hours. Card readers are on the list, as are lately DVD Writers.

If you don't go cheap you can have most of it, but you pay for it. I currently am using 2 Samsung Android tablets and a Laptop Convertible. All have Card Readers built in. My mistake was when I got my Laptop Convertible, I only bought two, (gave one to my grandaughter for school) Wish I had another back up for me, now it's $250 more, two weeks after I got it my servers crashed. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:05 pm

This is no different than for cameras. Some SD cards simply won't work even though they are supposed to work on any device. I just buy Sandisk because I've not had problems with them from device to device.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

archangle

Post by archangle » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:34 pm

I've worked with electrical approvals for equipment, although it was not for medical equipment.

It's very possible that a third party SD card might violate the safety standards and ResMed is legally required to say to only use their own SD cards that have been examined and determined to meet safety standards relative to spacing between electrical components and the end user.

It's probably very unlikely to be a hazard even if you could actually touch energized electrical components in the SD card. ResMed probably can't say this because they haven't done the extra testing and design measures to be able to claim that. Electrical certification standards are deliberately designed to err on the side of caution. This DOES save lives in many cases, even thought it MIGHT be nonsense in this case.

As for getting the "right" SD card in the first place, I've only heard from one person for whom SDHC wouldn't work and SD cards did. SD/SDHC cards and readers are squirrelly. Even if the SD card is "right," sometimes it won't work. Sometimes one particular card will work in one reader and not in others. Sometimes, one particular model of card won't work on one particular model of card reader.

jim22

Post by jim22 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:35 pm

The safety issue is probably not related to a high voltage, no SD cards use significantly high voltage, and none have it exposed. The safety issue is probably that Resmed ran testing to to show that the CPAP device worked as intended and was safe for the user, but they only tested with their card. They dont have data to show that other cards also allow the device to work as intended.

As for cameras, the cards need to be much faster and maybe move bigger chunks of data at a time. CPAP machines have much less data to store. The cards do have different specifications and capabilities. For CPAP, probably the more basic card, the better.

Jim

Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset, Swift FX nasal pillows mask

StuUnderPressure

Post by StuUnderPressure » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:16 am

jim22 wrote:The safety issue is probably that Resmed ran testing to to show that the CPAP device worked as intended and was safe for the user, but they only tested with their card. They dont have data to show that other cards also allow the device to work as intended.

Jim
My thoughts as well.

Regardless, my experience has been that it is very easy to get another ResMed SD card by just walking into any DME and telling them your card is bad

I have never been asked whether or not I bought a machine or supplies from them

They just give you a brand new SD card at no cost whatsoever

Every DME apparently keeps a ton of extra ResMed SD cards on hand

SD Card Formatter 5.0.2 https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/format ... index.html