Resmed Airfit P20

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
kwisatz

Resmed Airfit P20

Post by kwisatz » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:47 pm

Anyone have any info on when/if Resmed will release an update to the Airfit P10?

LSAT

Re: Resmed Airfit P20

Post by LSAT » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:49 pm

kwisatz wrote:Anyone have any info on when/if Resmed will release an update to the Airfit P10?
Have no idea what you are referring to...Why would there be an upgrade to a mask many people love? Because there is an F10 and F20 doesn't mean there will be a P20.
Last edited by LSAT on Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:45 pm

I suspect the OP is hoping for an upgraded nasal pillow mask,
and hopes we might have advance notice. (Yeah, right--like THAT will happen)
In any case, I can't for the life of me imagine what they could do that would be an improvement.

luvsbluberries

Post by luvsbluberries » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:02 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:I suspect the OP is hoping for an upgraded nasal pillow mask,
and hopes we might have advance notice. (Yeah, right--like THAT will happen)
In any case, I can't for the life of me imagine what they could do that would be an improvement.
I just got my setup yesterday and was interested in the P10. The tech guy steered me away from it though in favor of the Swift FX (he said that the P10 head straps tend to stretch and you lose the fit). Have you compared the two? What is it about the P10 that you especially like?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:00 am

luvsbluberries wrote:I just got my setup yesterday and was interested in the P10. The tech guy steered me away from it though in favor of the Swift FX (he said that the P10 head straps tend to stretch and you lose the fit). Have you compared the two? What is it about the P10 that you especially like?
I can chime in here.
First hand experience with both the P10 (now my primary mask) and the Swift FX which was my primary mask for a couple of years.

Yes..the P10 headgear straps can stretch a bit and you lose fit but we can shrink it some by washing and rinsing in really hot water. There may come to point where it won't shrink enough..then it's time for a new headgear.
There are 2 sizes available though...and having a smaller size to start with lessens that need to shrink.
My first P10 was with the regular blue/gray headgear...it's a bit larger than the for Her pink/gray and after about 3 months I started having to do the hot water trick...I got about 10 months out of that headgear before it wouldn't shrink back enough.
So then I got the For Her pink/gray headgear which is smaller to start with. I am well over 7 months with this headgear and haven't had to wash it at all...and haven't.

It's not like the head gear stretches out to the point of unusability in a month...

Now why would we want to use it if the headgear stretches...
headgear can be replaced easily
Resmed now includes little clips in the mask package to take up a bit of the slack when it does stretch.
As noted the life can be extended
and we do this because with the P10 it's almost like nothing on your face and head.
The vent is silent and so diffuse that you have to hold your hand about an inch from the vent to feel the air movement. This is a big plus for a bed partner or even yourself if something were to cause the vented air to bounce back.

The Swift FX is nice and the nasal pillows are very similar in looks, feel and function to the P10.
The headgear is mainly silicone and won't stretch and lasts forever with common sense care but it does have an elastic back strap that will eventually get tired and need replacing. It is also more adjustable manually than the P10 which uses the distance between the 2 straps for tension adjustment.

Where the P10 really beats the Swift FX...the venting. The Swift FX vent isn't diffused and while it isn't horribly noisy it is noisy compared to the silent P10 plus the vented air can bounce back on you and be annoying or hit your bed partner and be annoying.

No mask is ever 100% perfect...I have yet to find one and I have tried just about every nasal pillow out there. There has always been some little something that I felt could make it just a little more to my liking.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:07 am

kwisatz wrote:Anyone have any info on when/if Resmed will release an update to the Airfit P10?
I don't know that there is any plans to update the P10. ResMed keeps that sort of stuff under wraps for the most part until they start doing clinical trials and often people in clinical trials are sworn to secrecy...so we won't know anything until any new version gets released partially to the DMEs to do further experimenting.

Is something in the works in the nasal pillow department....probably but we don't know what it might be. Is it a little tweak to the P10 or a totally new product...dunno.

ResMed is always "improving" everything or trying to at least and I am sure there is something in the works but as to when it might actually make it to the market we have no way of knowing.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

luvsbluberries

Post by luvsbluberries » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:46 am

Pugsy wrote:
I can chime in here.

(snip)
Thank you for the comparison. It is much appreciated! I'll start my own thread... just so exhausted. Didn't expect difficulties with the mask since it worked so well in his office. The part in my nose is too large (Swift FX size Small) and the XS is too small around the base. And huge gusts of air through the vent wake me up during the night. Close to tears from trying to come up to speed on so many things -- the level of help/guidance from the 'support team' is not what I expected -- and I'm just so freaking tired that I cannot think or hardly see straight.

My apologies, kwisatz, for hijacking your thread.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:42 am

luvsbluberries wrote:
Pugsy wrote:
I can chime in here.

(snip)
Thank you for the comparison. It is much appreciated! I'll start my own thread... just so exhausted. Didn't expect difficulties with the mask since it worked so well in his office. The part in my nose is too large (Swift FX size Small) and the XS is too small around the base. And huge gusts of air through the vent wake me up during the night. Close to tears from trying to come up to speed on so many things -- the level of help/guidance from the 'support team' is not what I expected -- and I'm just so freaking tired that I cannot think or hardly see straight.

FYI..the pillow does not go "in the nose". Perhaps you can try a nasal mask.

luvsbluberries

Post by luvsbluberries » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:46 am

LSAT wrote:
luvsbluberries wrote:
Pugsy wrote:
I can chime in here.

(snip)

FYI..the pillow does not go "in the nose". Perhaps you can try a nasal mask.
Does the pointy part with the hole and little interior framework not go in your nose? The base of the pointy part does not go in. Maybe we are not talking about the same thing?

ETA: By base of the pointy part, I mean the portion that is above the stem which connects it to a larger 'pillowy' looking piece (which connects to the hose)

ETA 2: I am wearing it correctly; just like in this ResMed instructional video: http://www.resmed.com/us/en/consumer/su ... -mask.html

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:04 am

luvsbluberries wrote:Does the pointy part with the hole and little interior framework not go in your nose? The base of the pointy part does not go in. Maybe we are not talking about the same thing?
I call that little pointy part the inner cone tip. And yes it will be inside the nostril just a teeny bit but it shouldn't ever touch the inside of the nose at all.
The part that rests against the nostril is called the pillow rim and it shouldn't go inside the nostril at all. It should rest gently against the nostril. If too small of a nasal pillow is used along with too much tension that rim will try to climb up inside the nostril and that hurts.

Some people who have the unfortunate luck of having a DME who doesn't have a clue how to fit these things end up with the pillow rim inside the nostril and think that is the correct and expected way to wear nasal pillow masks. No wonder they bitch about it hurting or rubbing a blister or creating a raw nostril.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:15 am

P10 headgear, for all its faults, does not break off my hair on top of my head, like the Swift FX.
I do kind of wish the P10 headgear stayed in place as well as the FX, but I don't miss the buckle.

Sheepish

Post by Sheepish » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:02 am

Pugsy wrote:The vent is silent and so diffuse that you have to hold your hand about an inch from the vent to feel the air movement. This is a big plus for a bed partner or even yourself if something were to cause the vented air to bounce back.

Where the P10 really beats the Swift FX...the venting. The Swift FX vent isn't diffused and while it isn't horribly noisy it is noisy compared to the silent P10 plus the vented air can bounce back on you and be annoying or hit your bed partner and be annoying.
This is why I just placed an order for a P10 after a slightly disappointing experience with the Dreamwear Nasal Mask -- the unexpectedly relatively noisy front venting on the Dreamwear, from which I supposed the bulk of the venting would be on its innovative headtop connector. Well, that and crease marks on my upper cheeks after just two nights using it. They went away after an hour or so in the morning, and yes I used the included fleece wraps, but if it's anything like my experience with my initial mask, the Pico, with time the crease marks will take longer and longer to disappear, lasting well into the work day.

This will be the 4th mask I try, paid for out of pocket, since beginning CPAP earlier this year , and as is so often repeated, there probably is no perfect mask, but through trial and error, and with the help of this forum, I'm trying to hone in without dragging out the process too long on what the best fit will be going forward. Who knows, it might turn out that the best fit is actually rotating through a combination of decent yet imperfect masks, as is the case for some folks.

Additional Comments: + Nuance Pro Gel Nasal Pillow Mask + Respironics Dreamwear Nasal Mask + Resmed Airfit P10

luvsbluberries

Post by luvsbluberries » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:01 pm

Pugsy wrote: I call that little pointy part the inner cone tip. And yes it will be inside the nostril just a teeny bit but it shouldn't ever touch the inside of the nose at all.
The size that works best for me (Small) does touch the inside of my nose. The XS is not an option as the pillow rim is ever-so-slightly too small, causing leaks.

When you say, "shouldn't ever touch..." does that mean I should not use these at all? I was thinking to hang onto them as a backup for when I might need to sleep on my back, or sleep sitting up. Well, that, and I have no other mask right now.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:25 pm

If you are comfortable, your leaks are within reason, and you do not get a sore--
THEN GO FOR IT.
Some folks' skin is more sensitive than others.
If contact does not irritate, it is not an issue.

Bertha deBlues

Post by Bertha deBlues » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:40 pm

luvsbluberries wrote:
Pugsy wrote: I call that little pointy part the inner cone tip. And yes it will be inside the nostril just a teeny bit but it shouldn't ever touch the inside of the nose at all.
The size that works best for me (Small) does touch the inside of my nose. The XS is not an option as the pillow rim is ever-so-slightly too small, causing leaks.

When you say, "shouldn't ever touch..." does that mean I should not use these at all? I was thinking to hang onto them as a backup for when I might need to sleep on my back, or sleep sitting up. Well, that, and I have no other mask right now.
I love the P10 because it's so lightweight. I started with medium pillows, but they never seemed quite big enough, even though I have a fairly small nose. It was sore where they rubbed just inside the nostrils. I now use the large pillows. Because they're larger at the base, they don't creep up inside my nostrils and rub. I get a great seal. And because the air holes are larger, I get plenty of air flow and never have that starved-for-air feeling. I never would have tried the larger pillows had I not seen advice given to others about going with the largest size pillows that fit comfortably. Now I barely feel the mask at all. Heaven! Just my two cents worth.
And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make. - Paul McCartney