In Case of Hurricane ...

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Janknitz

Re: In Case of Hurricane ...

Post by Janknitz » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:10 pm

Pack a long extension cord in your bag, in case you have to go to a shelter you may find a plug you can use. If you have one, put the machine in a big ziplock bag in your case, to protect it from water.

Evacuate sooner rather than later. One thing I kept hearing about Harvey is that people thought they were doing OK during the day, but at night it got much worse, when it was much harder to evacuate. If anyone suggests you evacuate, don't wait!

Stay safe and let us know how you are doing when you can.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:48 am

I went several nights without cpap. It was the first time since I've been on therapy. Boy, did I feel like crap, and I was a grumpy bear.

Sheriff

Pap-Daddy

Post by Pap-Daddy » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:00 am

Janknitz wrote:Pack a long extension cord in your bag, in case you have to go to a shelter you may find a plug you can use.
Excellent idea and a power strip would be helpful so you can plug in other things like phone chargers, tablets, etc. for you and you neighbors. I say pack a "Go Bag" that will have most of the things you will want/need then only have to add a few items on short notice. Rain gear would be another plus as are plenty of zip lock bags to keep your socks and underwear dry. Oh so also add towels and baby wipes.

klv329

Post by klv329 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:33 am

Plan early. Plan early. Plan early.

Nobody at work today can find bottled water or gasoline.

The bottled water was gone by noon Tuesday and the gasoline started running out late Tuesday afternoon.

Maybe get the 5 gallon containers and get them filled for $1.75. Tap water should be good until it gets contaminted somehow, which happens around here from time to time.

And all the fun packet and canned food you like.

Beer is next, darn co-workers bought beer and wine and hard liquor before water and food and batteries. Priorities!

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:44 am

manual can opener, batteries for flashlight, extra propane tank for your gas grill, matches, candles, BE SAFE, get enough CASH out of ATM , also, it would be great to have life jackets handy.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:20 am

I know several families who lost everything: house car, contents. One thing they kick themselves for was not moving their cars. If you live in an area that MAY flood, move your car to a place (parking lot) on higher ground.

Sheriff

carolyngoodman

Post by carolyngoodman » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:06 pm

@Sheriff - Glad to see you are doing well. Was thinking of you. Kingwood was hit so hard.

We had about 25% of our staff either loose a car or their home or both. We have been focused on working with them.

Our office thankfully received no damage. Johnny and I actually evacuated to the office with our son when our area fell under the mandatory evacuation. So the office became CPAP hotel for a few days until the waters started to recede. And our son had to learn to like being in the carrier as we worked on getting packages ready to go out.

For the thread's question specifically - I second Sheriff's comments. To add to it:
  • Have go bag. Seriously. Even if you don't leave, you might need it when power goes out, or if you need to move to your second story or a safe room, etc. Your go bag should include backup CPAP equipment. If you leave/move in a rush, you will not be thinking of your CPAP equipment.
  • Charge your devices any chance you get. Your power might go out at any minute and you will be kicking yourself when you look down and your phone is at 10%.
  • If you evacuate, and it is raining or flooding, take the time to put your phones in a plastic bag. Many of the people who evacuated to the shelters lost their phones because they had them in their pockets and it got wet.
  • If you have the time beforehand, and you are in an area that is expected to have heavy damage, write down all your important numbers to take with you: insurance policy numbers and phone numbers, credit card phone numbers, DL, phone numbers of close contacts if you don't have them memorized (in case you loose/break your phone)
  • If you evacuate to a shelter, bring a power strip and an extension cord.
  • If you evacuate and are bringing your pet (dog/cat), pack food for them.
  • If you think it might flood, move your items upstairs, or get cinder or other blocks to elevate your furniture on. My sister did this and when they ran out of bricks, they used solo cups around the table legs, that at least buys you 6 inches.
  • Plan ahead. If you plan to stay, still think of a few back up plans for if you change your mind. Don't change your mind once the winds come, you are pot committed at that point.
  • If you stay, get a white shirt, pillow case, or other white fabric with you. For the people who were rescued, this is how rescuers found them. During and after, it can be hard to determine streets.
  • If something happens, don't just rely on 911. In Houston, 911 was too back up. Neighbors had to help neighbors and when those resources were not enough, the direct lines to the Coast Guard and other civilian groups were passed around.
  • If you get through it okay, see who you can help. Check on elderly neighbors, etc.
  • I lived off of the app NextDoor to stay in communications with our neighbors. Even if you evacuate, people who stayed can give you updates on the status of the area and after you can use it to help organize aid resources.
- Carolyn
Check out: My User Page

You can create yours here. Just log in and then you will see your name appear on the list. Click your name and edit away.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:28 pm

Thank you for the awesome list of tips, Carolyn!
Many that we can use here in Tornado Alley/200 year flood plain.

msradar65

Post by msradar65 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:07 am

I would also recommend packing a go back of a month supply of meds for you and pets.

If you city is offering parking in the garages during the storm take advantage of it.

I have lived in various coastal areas and weathered many a storm. preparation is key.

Judge each storm individually to determine your plan.

I stayed for Hugo, left for Matthew, and will be staying for Irma. The reason vary. Size, predicted landfall location, expected storm surge taking into consideration,moon phase, tide stage
Diagnosed 08/31/10. Titration 9/02/10. Started CPAP 11/01/10. Auto mode 10-15cm. Alternate mask GoLife for her. Back up mask Full-life full face w/Pad-a-cheek mask liner. Comtec CMS F50 wrist pulse oximeter. Sobakawa Cloud Pillow, Sleepyhead software

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:22 am

Re: losing cars to often only mild flooding.
Unless you purchase military spec vehicles, none of the electronics are protected against water,
and companies like Toyota integrate these fragile parts into pricey full assemblies.
Flood damage is a HUGE golden egg for auto manufacturers,
and they design to take full advantage of it.
Insurance companies may complain, but they always raise the premiums to make up for it.
(((And then some, for sure)))

JimW159

Post by JimW159 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:31 am

My wife and I spent the past three nights in a medical needs shelter at a middle school in Dunedin Florida (tonight we are in a hotel in Tampa that was lucky enough to have power). We had power for all but four hours of our stay in the shelter. All in all, it was a heart warming experience: the middle school became home to nearly a thousand persons, many of whom have serious medical conditions. The classroom we were in had 17 guests, the bulk of them were medical needs persons with the remainder categorized as caregivers. A local hospice had transferred 50 of their patients to the shelter; some homeless shelters had brought in 500 as well. The volunteer staff were literally life savers - the final morning of our stay a man in our room was rushed to the hospital - we found that he was Stage IV esophageal cancer. Throughout the time he was there he was with his wife who was on O2, two daughters and three grandchildren. One irony is that his medical status did not qualify him to be categorized as a medical needs guest (his wife was for the O2) rather, he was the caregiver. My status was deemed needs recipient because of the CPAP and O2 with diabetes contributing. After we left the final after noon, we headed home to see what if any damage we had suffered - thankfully none but with no power and none anticipated for a week or two. So, here we are, waiting for the lights to come back on at home.

Soothest Sleep

Post by Soothest Sleep » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:20 am

JimW159 wrote:My wife and I spent the past three nights in a medical needs shelter at a middle school in Dunedin Florida (tonight we are in a hotel in Tampa that was lucky enough to have power) [. . . ]So, here we are, waiting for the lights to come back on at home.
Thank you for posting your experience, Jim. It sounds like things went relatively smoothly for you riding out the storm, and I hope the recovery from it continues to do so.

Jean
O soft embalmer of the still midnight,
Shutting, with careful fingers and benign,
Our gloom-pleas'd eyes, embower'd from the light,
Enshaded in forgetfulness divine
-- John Keats

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:07 am

For those using a grill for cooking:
PLEASE, NEVER USE IT INDOORS! Ventilated area only!
This is very dangerous, and people die from the gases.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:39 am

[quote="JimW159" After we left the final after noon, we headed home to see what if any damage we had suffered - thankfully none but with no power and none anticipated for a week or two. So, here we are, waiting for the lights to come back on at home.[/quote]
It's good to hear that you weathered the storm with no lasting damage!

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

JimW159

Post by JimW159 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:49 pm

palerider wrote:[quote="JimW159" After we left the final after noon, we headed home to see what if any damage we had suffered - thankfully none but with no power and none anticipated for a week or two. So, here we are, waiting for the lights to come back on at home.

It's good to hear that you weathered the storm with no lasting damage!
Thanks for your kind thoughts and those of "Soothest Sleep." To add to the value of planning early is the ironical fact that we were heading out to Phoenix three days ahead of Irma's anticipated passage near Cuba. That was not to be though; 4 flights in a row were cancelled in the span of 12 hours three days ahead of the storm's expected arrival in the Tampa area. With the final offer of a flight out on the twelveth, a day the storm was expected to be possibly in full voice in this area we cancelled everything: car, plane, hotel, etc. and just sought shelter. Tomorrow we expect to move to another hotel nearer home to continue the wait.
Regarding the shelter guests sharing the classroom with us: one elderly woman was using a ResMed A10 AutoSet and "loved it." Given the mild anxiety she exhibited during the power outage and her inability to use her CPAP, she obviously had fully accepted its need and value. In conversation I showed here a bit about SleepyHead and pointed her to this forum. She said she had been on CPAP far longer than my mere 9 years and had it down pat. Saying that was very good; maybe she could share her experiences in offering assistance to some others having difficulty in accommodating therapy. I did emphasize the fact that this forum is an active community of individuals all with the shared agenda of optimizing their lives and wellbeing using xPap and each positive voice is welcomed.