Mask recommendations

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Rainmom17

Re: Mask recommendations

Post by Rainmom17 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:16 am

Hannibal 2 -- you'll probably try the Amara View before I do, so be sure and let us know what you think of it!

Rainmom17

Post by Rainmom17 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:45 am

OK, I'm posting my data from last night. I did the 7.5 minimum pressure again, and again it is leaking more than it did with 7.0 minimum. I still believe, based on my data, that I need to raise the minimum level to avoid the kind of clustering I'm getting around 1-2am. (this is how my data frequently looks, with far fewer problems later in the night). But, my mask doesn't seem to do well with the higher starting level. So, my conclusion is, I need to try some other masks that allow me to raise the minimum level without leaks. Does that seem like a reasonable conclusion based on what you see? (I know my AHI is considered acceptable, but given that I wake a lot with leaks and don't feel rested, I would like to keep adjusting. And, my data never shows a lot of leaking. But, I feel leaks and they wake me up, so I think there are too many.)

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:12 am

Your leak graphs look really good to me.
Where are you seeing increased leaks?
Are you thinking the total leak numbers?
Are you aware that as the pressure increases so does the vent rate and the total leak (that top line on the graph) is the vent rate plus any excess leak?
As you increase the minimum pressure we expect the vent rate to go up a little even with no excess leaks at all.

Omit your snore graph...it isn't needed and then you can better see the leak graph.
The max total leak was just 41...hey, that's pretty darn good.

Your overall averages aren't far off your vent rate so actually your excess leaks are really rather minimal.

You can find your vent rate in your mask literature. There's a graph with various pressures and corresponding vent rates.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Rainmom17

Post by Rainmom17 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:20 am

Since the beginning of my therapy, my mask leaking has been something that bothers me but doesn't appear to be a problem in the data. So, my complaining about leaking is based solely on my personal experience, not what I see in my data. With a 7.0 minimum level, I wasn't waking from any leaks. (I would have leaks when lying on my back, so I just tried to only sleep on my side.) As soon as I bumped it to 7.5 about 4 or 5 days ago, I am again being woken by the sound and feel of escaping air, no matter what position I'm sleeping in. I have made mask adjustments, but it's only helped a little. I'm just frustrated that in an attempt to help one thing (raising minimum) I've created a new problem (leaks that wake me up ). 7.5 isn't even very high! Hope that all makes sense!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:45 am

It does make sense. Leaks can be annoying and a problem if they wake us up even if they aren't technically "big" leaks.
This is why I say that any leak that disturbs our sleep is unwanted even if it is a teeny tiny leak.
Your leaks aren't anywhere near large enough to impact the therapy itself in terms of losing needed pressure but since they are disturbing your sleep then we want to fix them. And yes...more pressure will create more of a keeping the seal issue.
You might try fitting at the beginning of the night at your higher pressures that you end up going to and not so much your starting pressure and see if that helps.

Not sure what the mask fit feature will give you but maybe try fitting for 10 cm pressure instead of the starting 7.5.

Full face masks simply have more real estate on your skin to need to keep sealed. More surface area...going to take a little more work.
One of the reasons I like the nasal pillows so much...very little area actually touching the skin needing to stay sealed. Much easier to work with.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Rainmom17

Post by Rainmom17 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:31 am

Thanks, Pugsy. I'll try fitting at 10 once my nervous cat leaves the bed!

Hannibal 2

Post by Hannibal 2 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:51 pm

Rainmom17 wrote:Hannibal 2 -- you'll probably try the Amara View before I do, so be sure and let us know what you think of it!
Sure, no problem - good luck with your DME

Where have you been? It's alright we know where you've been!"
(You've been in the pipeline...)

tooter

Post by tooter » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:17 pm

Rainmom17 wrote:Since the beginning of my therapy, my mask leaking has been something that bothers me but doesn't appear to be a problem in the data. So, my complaining about leaking is based solely on my personal experience, not what I see in my data. With a 7.0 minimum level, I wasn't waking from any leaks. (I would have leaks when lying on my back, so I just tried to only sleep on my side.) As soon as I bumped it to 7.5 about 4 or 5 days ago, I am again being woken by the sound and feel of escaping air, no matter what position I'm sleeping in. I have made mask adjustments, but it's only helped a little. I'm just frustrated that in an attempt to help one thing (raising minimum) I've created a new problem (leaks that wake me up ). 7.5 isn't even very high! Hope that all makes sense!
Your pressure is going as high as 10 during the night...that's where the leaks are waking you...not because you raised your minimum pressure.
Fixed pressure at 11