5 reasons why UARS is harder to treat than apnea

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Re: 5 reasons why UARS is harder to treat than apnea

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:58 pm

yes! No! ... not incorrect - just without any sense or meaning.

would have been and will be the same as saying: on a scale of small to large respiratory obstructions are as follows: apples, peanuts, vegetarians, apnea.

not necessarily incorrect - just plain bullshit!
If you have a hypopnea or an apnea with UARS it is not a more severe form of UARS - you have (real) obstructions on top of UARS - totally different thingy - not the logical evolvement of UARS!
With UARS you - most likely - have a tendency towards OSA - but you do not have that! - you can delvelop that if your tissue gets even more soft (aging - gaining weight) - but it is not the same like with (plain) OSA and the levels of obstructions!

what he did was comparing apples with oranges - yes they are both fruits - does not make them equal!

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:07 pm

just to make this clear: this not an instance where xxyzx was wrong! - he simply did not know or did not understand what he was talking about! (as usual!)
He was not completely wrong - he was just way off!

maybe a different example: sneezing is NOT a more severe form of coughing! - total different things - yes! your airways are involced - you do that to clear them - mostly the same muscles are involved and your lung .... still not the same!

it would be plain bullshit to say: sneezing is a more severe cough!

ThatGuyTyh-ish

Post by ThatGuyTyh-ish » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:12 pm

Guest wrote:yes! No! ... not incorrect - just without any sense or meaning.

would have been and will be the same as saying: on a scale of small to large respiratory obstructions are as follows: apples, peanuts, vegetarians, apnea.

not necessarily incorrect - just plain bullshit!
If you have a hypopnea or an apnea with UARS it is not a more severe form of UARS - you have (real) obstructions on top of UARS - totally different thingy - not the logical evolvement of UARS!
With UARS you - most likely - have a tendency towards OSA - but you do not have that! - you can delvelop that if your tissue gets even more soft (aging - gaining weight) - but it is not the same like with (plain) OSA and the levels of obstructions!

what he did was comparing apples with oranges - yes they are both fruits - does not make them equal!
No one is saying its a more severe form of UARS though. He's saying an apnea obstruction is more severe than a hypopnea obstruction and a hypopnea obstruction is more severe than the "obstruction" the brain of UARS patient overexagerates. Are we talking different languages here? If I'm way off base can someone please tell me. I'm not trying to argue, I'm trying to make sure we are on the same page and understanding the same thing.

ThatGuyTyh-ish

Post by ThatGuyTyh-ish » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:13 pm

Guest wrote:just to make this clear: this not an instance where xxyzx was wrong! - he simply did not know or did not understand what he was talking about! (as usual!)

maybe a different example: sneezing is NOT a more severe form of coughing! - total different things - yes! your airways are involced - you do that to clear them - mostly the same muscles are involved and your lung .... still not the same!

Ok so a patient who has UARS has no obstruction at all then? Because that isn't what I had understoud.

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:24 pm

that is just trolling! .... it is all there - read what pugsy said! - read any of the articles ... it is all there.

If you want your husband to be right - I really don't care what you or hubby are thinking or believing - just don't drag someone else into that.

ThatGuyTyh-ish

Post by ThatGuyTyh-ish » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:26 pm

Guest wrote:just to make this clear: this not an instance where xxyzx was wrong! - he simply did not know or did not understand what he was talking about! (as usual!)

Here's an analogy the way I see it. Football, baseball and soccer are all sports that use balls. Yes all 3 sports are played very differently but they all use balls. A football ball is larger than a baseball ball and a soccer ball is larger than a football.

What I hear you saying is. Yes they are all sports and they all use balls but they are played completely differently!

We are both talking about completely different aspects of the same three things. This argument could go on forever because neither of us is discussing the exact same topic.

ThatGuyTyh-ish

Post by ThatGuyTyh-ish » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:28 pm

Can someone else chime in here just to let me know if I am understanding things wrong here. Im not trying to say if anyone is right or wrong, I am just trying to understand what exactly is being said.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:53 pm

The entire issue is being muddied because laypersons are trying to describe a condition that
EVEN THE EXPERTS do not completely understand--or can agree upon.
Can we consider the possibility that the current discussion is moot?

Bertha de Blues

Post by Bertha de Blues » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:56 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:The entire issue is being muddied because laypersons are trying to describe a condition that
+1

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:04 pm

someguy48 wrote:in terms of UARS: the "resistance" takes place somewhere before the RERAs - as the RERAs are a definite arousal! ... with UARS you can snore - but you don't need to!
someguy48 wrote:for christ sake!

if you want it ordered it goes more like this 8although I am really not sure where exactly to put RERAs):

healthy, normal breahting --> snoring --> flowlimitations --> RERAs (or maybe before or equal to the flowlimitations - will most likely depend on the patient!)--> hypopneas --> apnea --> death.

in terms of UARS: the "resistance" takes place somewhere before the RERAs - as the RERAs are a definite arousal! ... with UARS you can snore - but you don't need to!
Yes! the tissue is not as "strong" and has tendency to cause "obstructions" / restrictions - but that does not mean that it is loose enough to cause vibrational snoring. (although it might)
Perhaps instead of trying to get diagnosed it would be better (for you) to simply buy your own cpap and treat yourself at a low pressure of 6 or 7? Just enuff so you dont feel starved for air? Maybe as high a 10?

ThatGuyTyh-ish

Post by ThatGuyTyh-ish » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:10 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:The entire issue is being muddied because laypersons are trying to describe a condition that
Chunkyfrog, wiser words have not been spoken. Definitely ready to drop this mess of a missunderstanding.

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:39 pm

+1

One definition of moot is "too trivial to merit discussion," therefore a waste of time to keep rehashing.

WearyOne

Post by WearyOne » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:56 pm

Pugsy's post on this is great. Perfectly explained (as well as UARS can be anyway). Her post definitely provided great information, much of which I'm ashamed to say I didn't know before.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:05 pm

I work/study, etc. to understand the things I NEED to comprehend.
Words cannot fully describe how thankful I am to not need to know all about UARS.

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:07 am

Thanks for explaining this. Finally I start to understand UARS.