Scalloped tongue

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Joeybigtongue

Scalloped tongue

Post by Joeybigtongue » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:58 am

Hello all. My names Joe .. wondering if I can get any insight or ideas on the issues I have been struggling with for the past two years .. So about two years ago slowly I would wake up and feel headaches which gradually over a period of months became worse with a swollen tongue thick neck feeling . I wa never a Person that snores and in the last few months my girlfriend has been telling me and showing me videos on how loud I snore ( it's ridiculously loud onlbnoxiois and sounds like I'm choking / gasping for air ) the tongue problems has affected my speech and my face is always swollen especially under my chin .. doctors ruled out thyroid and ran a number of blood tests and urine 24 hour tests ENT visits and rheumatologist ruled out everything ..I recently found a Dreamstation CPAP machine and went and ordered a resperonics mask . It's my 4th day using it and I have insane amounts of energy no headaches and my tongue swelling is starting to go down .. I started on level 6 pressure but i felt like I was suffocating .. I think my sweet spot is 10.5 .. anyway has anyone had a similar problem with sleep apnea causing a swollen scalloped tongue ?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Scalloped tongue

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:11 pm

Thiis is not uncommon with OSA.
Constricted air passages are most noticeable in the mouth, but usually exist elsewhere as well.

kteague

Post by kteague » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:47 pm

Yes. My tongue was so enlarged I kept biting it, and my mouth was so full there were teeth prints along the sides of my tongue. Hypothyroid was ruled out. It resolved over time with CPAP treatment. Don't know the medical reason why, but saw some discussion about it possibly being related to the affects of vibrations that snoring causes. It is thought the vibrations can cause an inflammatory response and swelling. Thanks for the reminder. I had intended to look into that further but had forgetten. Good luck with your treatment.

Dorhero

Post by Dorhero » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:24 am

Joeybigtongue wrote:I recently found a Dreamstation CPAP machine and went and ordered a resperonics mask . It's my 4th day using it and I have insane amounts of energy no headaches and my tongue swelling is starting to go down
So, you diagnosed and treated yourself? That's pretty awesome!

Since I started my apnea / bi-pap adventure a little over 2 months ago, I've kind of decided that the health care industry has got the whole process rigged. I believe this hurts patients who could have been benefiting from this amazing treatment but were not able to because of prohibitive costs and insurance red tape. And don't even get me started on doctors who you constantly tell that you are always exhausted and they ask you if you are depressed, suicidal, or want to hurt people.

I'm finding similar results. I haven't used an alarm since I got my treatment dialed in and I have more time on my hands than I have figured out how to use.

I'm glad you beat the system. Kudos.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:09 pm

Joeybigtongue wrote:sleep apnea causing a swollen scalloped tongue ?
See http://doctorstevenpark.com/tongue-scal ... leep-apnea

Joeybigtongue

Post by Joeybigtongue » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:41 pm

Wow I am so happy I found this website .. I was starting to feel like I was going crazy but it's clear as day my tongue is much smaller less red and swollen and no painful teeth indentations since starting cpap.. I feel so much better and now I only need 5-6 hours of sleep and I'm up like a rocket in the morning when usually I would need 8 hours or more to wake up with terrible headaches tongue pain dialated pupils the list goes on

Rainmom17

Post by Rainmom17 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:01 pm

Congratulations!
How did you go from a minimum of 6 to 10.5 in just a couple of days? Curious about what you did.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:03 pm

Joeybigtongue wrote:I was starting to feel like I was going crazy
When you get in here with the rest of us nuts, you just feel like you are normal. But, enjoy.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:04 pm

Rainmom17 wrote:How did you go from a minimum of 6 to 10.5 in just a couple of days? Curious about what you did.
Just turned the pressure dial??

Rainmom17

Post by Rainmom17 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:24 pm

Ha ha. I just mean, did the OP try 6 the first night then jump to 8 the second night, etc. or try multiple starting levels in one night. The typical protocol is to try something and give it a couple of days to see how it is before trying something new.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:29 pm

Rainmom17 wrote:Ha ha. I just mean, did the OP try 6 the first night then jump to 8 the second night, etc. or try multiple starting levels in one night. The typical protocol is to try something and give it a couple of days to see how it is before trying something new.
While typically we say "try something and give it a few nights" there are some situations where it's just better to take a big leap.
Like if it is painfully obvious that the pressure needs are going to be hugely higher or maybe someone simply doesn't feel comfortable at the lower pressures and it just takes a bigger jump to be comfortable.
And some people just want immediate results and don't have the patience for going slow. Sometimes a rather big jump works out better for some people.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:30 pm

Rainmom17 wrote:Ha ha.
Glad you have a sense of humor. (Or maybe you are as sarcastic as me? )

Rainmom17

Post by Rainmom17 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:47 pm

A bit of both!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:34 pm

Rainmom17 wrote:A bit of both!
Having a good sized sense of humor goes a long way in this forum. Lord knows mine is considerably smaller now than it used to be.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Joeybigtongue

Post by Joeybigtongue » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:54 am

I moved up quickly in pressure because I was getting that suffocati feeling at anything below 10.. I think 10.5 is good for now maybe I'll try 11 soon