Generators

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Zeds

Generators

Post by Zeds » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:03 pm

On this board, I've seen some info on using batteries for camping, but honestly, it makes my head spin. These days, you can get mini generators/power stations that are charged electrically or by solar panel. Basically, you just plug them in. Then your device plugs into the generator/power station.

Yes, I'm talking plug and play.

And I'm talking not just recharging a CPAP, but maybe a mini ipad and camera battery as well. All EZPZ.

I camp ALOT.

How much of a mini generator do you need for a CPAP? How can you tell how many nights the power will last? How can you tell how long these gizmos take to recharge?

palerider

Re: Generators

Post by palerider » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:29 pm

Zeds wrote:On this board, I've seen some info on using batteries for camping, but honestly, it makes my head spin. These days, you can get mini generators/power stations that are charged electrically or by solar panel. Basically, you just plug them in. Then your device plugs into the generator/power station.

And I'm talking not just recharging a CPAP, but maybe a mini ipad and camera battery as well. All EZPZ.

I camp ALOT.

How much of a mini generator do you need for a CPAP? How can you tell how many nights the power will last? How can you tell how long these gizmos take to recharge?
What you think you're talking about doesn't exist.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Bertha d

Post by Bertha d » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:33 pm

palerider wrote: What you think you're talking about doesn't exist.
Darn, I was hoping there would be some cool not-too-expensive option.

Zeds

Post by Zeds » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:38 pm

Of course they do! Presumably, they're just variants on an auto portable battery-charger. They're made by companies like Jackery, Goal Zero...

They go from about $150 on up. And they could be used to charge other devices in addition to a CPAP.

I just don't know what kind of capacity is needed.

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:43 pm

Zeds wrote:
Of course they do! Presumably, they're just variants on an auto portable battery-charger. They're made by companies like Jackery, Goal Zero...

They go from about $150 on up. And they could be used to charge other devices in addition to a CPAP.

links would help

Bertha d

Post by Bertha d » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:47 pm

I'm not able to post links without putting a break in there somewhere, but here goes. I don't understand most of it, but maybe it will help you. apneaboard (dot) com/ forums/Thread-Product-Review-Battery-AUDEW-Portable-Generator-220Wh-60-000mAh

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:56 pm

Zeds wrote:On this board, I've seen some info on using batteries for camping, but honestly, it makes my head spin. These days, you can get mini generators/power stations that are charged electrically or by solar panel. Basically, you just plug them in. Then your device plugs into the generator/power station.

I camp ALOT.

My suggestion is to ask the author of that story, I had trouble following it maybe he can answer your questions. I'm not even sure where he bought it at. Its all a secret message.

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:26 pm

Zeds, here is one example of plug and play.

Pick up one of these
https://www.amazon.com/Sunforce-11240-I ... B000WGNNUQ

Also pick up 2 of these
http://www.batterymart.com/p-odyssey-pc ... gKMC_D_BwE
and hook them up in parallel.

Plug your AC device in and go.

To charge pick up one of these
http://www.batterymart.com/p-gen1-noco- ... gJTjfD_BwE
and plan on 2 - 3 hours of charge for every hour of use.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:29 pm

I camp ALOT.

Your fellow campers are going to enjoy your generator all night, I need to know the specs for your Gizmo, they come in many sizes.

Sounds like you want a small nuke reactor that powers a small generator, that weights less than 5 pounds, and costs less that 1 million dollars, sorry i'm fresh out.

However I am working on a Zero Point Module, that can do it, drawing power directly from the universe. I just need to start a Go Fund Me Site to build the thing. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:35 pm

Zeds wrote:

The things you're talking about are not "generators" they're battery packs. big, expensive, *battery packs*. They don't generate anything at all. When you're talking to someone that knows something about power, (verse the marketing wanks coming up with a glitzy kickstarter ad to get your money) a "generator" is typically an engine, gasoline, diesel or gas (propane/natural) driving an electrical device called a "generator". they make noise, they consume fuel, the turn that fuel into electricity, for as long as they're supplied with fuel.

You can't "charge" a cpap, because they don't have batteries, if they did, they could be operated without being plugged in.

Terminology matters.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Zeds

Post by Zeds » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Huh? I made no mention of charging a CPAP. And the other stuff? There's no call for retorting as though I'm stupid. You'd be wrong.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:16 am

Zeds wrote:Huh? I made no mention of charging a CPAP. And the other stuff? There's no call for retorting as though I'm stupid. You'd be wrong.
:raising eyebrow:
Zeds wrote:And I'm talking not just recharging a CPAP
Zeds wrote:And they could be used to charge other devices in addition to a CPAP.

Shnorky

Post by Shnorky » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:40 am

HoseCrusher wrote:Zeds, here is one example of plug and play.

Pick up one of these
https://www.amazon.com/Sunforce-11240-I ... B000WGNNUQ

Also pick up 2 of these
http://www.batterymart.com/p-odyssey-pc ... gKMC_D_BwE
and hook them up in parallel.

Plug your AC device in and go.

To charge pick up one of these
http://www.batterymart.com/p-gen1-noco- ... gJTjfD_BwE
and plan on 2 - 3 hours of charge for every hour of use.
With those 200lbs of lead to lug around, you might as well just pull a cable from the nearest electrical outlet. At least you won't get lost that way

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:46 am

Zeds wrote:Huh? I made no mention of charging a CPAP. And the other stuff? There's no call for retorting as though I'm stupid. You'd be wrong.
Go back and read your post...You said..."And I'm talking not just recharging a CPAP, but maybe a mini ipad and camera battery as well. All EZPZ."

CapnLoki

Post by CapnLoki » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:01 am

I camp ALOT.

First, about solar panels:
I live much of the summer on solar power. However, I have a few advantages - I'm on a boat which is never shaded by trees or hills. I have 5 solar panels some are always pointed to the Sun. My battery bank is big enough to run 3 days and not go below 50%. Even so, I have alternatives - two engines with alternators, one high output, plus a small genset. The last week was pretty sunny, but still I ran the engine for an hour yesterday because the day was cloudy. My point is, using solar is great, but you should plan on having enough capacity to go several days, and alternative charging. The campers that have reported success here often have large batteries and use solar to stretch the coverage a bit.

The commonly cited system is the Goal Zero Sherpa 100 kit with a panel for about $500. The battery is 100 Watt-hours, or about 8 AH, so it should go 2 nights, though that could be reduced if you charge too many other devices. The 20 Watt panel on average would provide about 80 Watt-hours in a typical day assuming a full view of the Sun. There could be large variations due to weather, shading, season Sun angle, etc. SO if it works out, the panel could replace the cpap load every day, and maybe even a bit more. Or if its cloudy you might get nothing.

One solution is a larger battery and/or larger panel, but of course the price goes up from there. My general advice for car campers is a appropriately large AGM battery connected to the proper DC cable/adapter for your cpap. It does require a small bit of assembly (two bolts to connect to the battery). A 35 Amp-hour battery will go maybe 5 nights, and weighs a luggable 24 pounds. Cost with a quality charger and a few cables is $100 to 150. You can also add a second battery or go with different sizes, as needed.

Details in the link in my signature, and we'll be glad to help if you outline your specific needs.

Additional Comments: Pressure 9-20, average ~9.5; often use battery power while off-grid
Hark, how hard he fetches breath . . .  Act II, Scene IV, King Henry IV Part I, William Shakespeare
Choosing a Battery thread: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t1140 ... ttery.html