Tips for fighting exhaustion until I can start treatment

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ThatGuyTyh-ish

Re: Tips for fighting exhaustion until I can start treatment

Post by ThatGuyTyh-ish » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:11 pm

xxyzx wrote:
ThatGuyTyh-ish wrote:
chunkyfrog wrote:Upon retirement, I turned off my alarms.
I still wake up at the same damn time.
My 2 year old likes to get us up nice and early on weekends. Please don't ruin the dream of retirement for me. Please.
======

when you retire
you will be worried that he is staying out all night
He can stay out all night as much as he wants as long as he stays away from my daughter. (The joke is a little unclear, I have a daughter, jokes are always funnier when you have to explain them)

TedVPAP

Post by TedVPAP » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:26 pm

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that doctors will prescribe an auto-cpap based solely on professional discussion (no study).
For $400 you can buy a new auto-cpap online (I bought off of craig's list) and get started. It might not be the right machine for you so you may have to sell it, but its a start.

Additional Comments: AutoPAP 16-20, Ultimate Chin Strap http://sleepapneasolutionsinc.com/
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment:
how to see your data https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead
how to present your data https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize
how to post your data https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

ThatGuyTyh-ish

Post by ThatGuyTyh-ish » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:33 pm

TedVPAP wrote:Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that doctors will prescribe an auto-cpap based solely on professional discussion (no study).
For $400 you can buy a new auto-cpap online (I bought off of craig's list) and get started. It might not be the right machine for you so you may have to sell it, but its a start.
My insurance covers 80% of the cost to buy as long as I jump through all their hoops but I may decide to go that route if it's dragging on. Maybe I can rent one in the meantime? I'll make sure to ask when I get my results. I still feel like I have so much to learn when it comes to masks but I suppose a hands on approach is going to be required for me. Gotta shove it on my face to know.

TedVPAP

Post by TedVPAP » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:56 pm

ThatGuyTyh-ish wrote:
TedVPAP wrote:Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that doctors will prescribe an auto-cpap based solely on professional discussion (no study).
My insurance covers 80% of the cost to buy as long as I jump through all their hoops but I may decide to go that route if it's dragging on. Maybe I can rent one in the meantime? I'll make sure to ask when I get my results. I still feel like I have so much to learn when it comes to masks but I suppose a hands on approach is going to be required for me. Gotta shove it on my face to know.
Talk to people at work. When I needed to borrow a machine because mine died, one guy gave me a spare as he already had other spares, another guy had a number of extra machines that I could borrow.

Additional Comments: AutoPAP 16-20, Ultimate Chin Strap http://sleepapneasolutionsinc.com/
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment:
how to see your data https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead
how to present your data https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize
how to post your data https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

esel

Post by esel » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:59 am

Can well feel the frustration of waking up one self by snoring... I sure got tired of it.

As a kid myself, when I was watching TV in the bead room of my parents, my dad would scare the hell out off me when after a long and quiet period he would take a breath.

It is tough to learn to sleep on the side and me too got lots of back pain. I slowly adjusted. Somehow the body gets used to it. One odd thing which happened to me was at a friend's place where I slept in a bead that felt like really worn out. I never slept as good as in that bead and it was reproducible. I am still looking for a bead like that one. The bead is in New Mexico, too far for me now...

good luck that one sure helps

Only ME... - :) - Some days sooo slow, some days just running off track ...

ThatGuyTyh-ish

Post by ThatGuyTyh-ish » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:16 am

esel wrote:Can well feel the frustration of waking up one self by snoring... I sure got tired of it.

As a kid myself, when I was watching TV in the bead room of my parents, my dad would scare the hell out off me when after a long and quiet period he would take a breath.

It is tough to learn to sleep on the side and me too got lots of back pain. I slowly adjusted. Somehow the body gets used to it. One odd thing which happened to me was at a friend's place where I slept in a bead that felt like really worn out. I never slept as good as in that bead and it was reproducible. I am still looking for a bead like that one. The bead is in New Mexico, too far for me now...

good luck that one sure helps
My dads snoring was so loud it shook the house I could never sleep in the same room as him, it was just too much.

To find The One mattress and remain unable to be together. Such a tragic story of love and loss. My daughter loves jumping on the bed. Maybe I should let her wear out mine hahaha

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:40 am

ThatGuyTyh-ish wrote: I'm a stomach sleeper but have been trying to sleep on my side in anticipation but for whatever reason, when I sleep on my side, I get a lot of soreness in my back, neck and shoulder (the one I sleep on).
Oh, wow! That is a mistake.

Let's go back a minute. First, let's review why sleeping on one's back is usually the worst position for untreated CPAP. In obstructive sleep apnea, it's the soft palate and tongue base that collapse back into the airway creating blockages or partial obstructions. When one sleeps on the back, gravity is directly pulling the soft palate and tongue base toward the airway.

When one is sleeping on the sides or stomach, the effect of gravity pulling the soft palate and tongue base toward the airway is less. This is why some people get substantial relief from sleeping on the sides or stomach. Sleeping on the stomach is just as good as on the sides.

The Falcon Position ( http://www.uarsrelief.com/sleeppositions.html ) is good for stomach sleeping. When done properly, it's good for the spine.

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:14 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
ThatGuyTyh-ish wrote: I'm a stomach sleeper but have been trying to sleep on my side in anticipation but for whatever reason, when I sleep on my side, I get a lot of soreness in my back, neck and shoulder (the one I sleep on).
Oh, wow! That is a mistake.

Let's go back a minute. First, let's review why sleeping on one's back is usually the worst position for untreated CPAP. In obstructive sleep apnea, it's the soft palate and tongue base that collapse back into the airway creating blockages or partial obstructions. When one sleeps on the back, gravity is directly pulling the soft palate and tongue base toward the airway.

When one is sleeping on the sides or stomach, the effect of gravity pulling the soft palate and tongue base toward the airway is less. This is why some people get substantial relief from sleeping on the sides or stomach. Sleeping on the stomach is just as good as on the sides.

The Falcon Position ( http://wwwuarsreliefcom/sleeppositionshtml ) is good for stomach sleeping. When done properly, it's good for the spine.
Thanks granny! Sleeping on my back definitely makes it worse. I looked into the falcon position and realised it's pretty similar to how I generally sleep now hahaha so maybe sleep position won't be a problem afterall.

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:36 am

Do most people sleep one way all night?
I've always slept left side, right side, back, stomach....and around again.

Is there a mask that will accommodate that?

And....why does Falcon not need CPAP anymore?
That seems contrary to everything that is suggested about sleep apnea.

Thanks

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:04 am

Guest wrote:Do most people sleep one way all night?
I've always slept left side, right side, back, stomach....and around again.

Pretty much all masks can be used in all the various sleep positions...some will present more challenges than others but all masks can be used in all positions with a bit of fiddling with bed pillow or whatever.
You may find that it isn't so much the mask as it is the bed pillow that requires a bit of rethinking.
You might also want to look at some sort of hose management system to keep the hose up and away from your head if you do end up moving around a lot. Less chance of dreaming you are getting strangled by a snake. To be fair though...it over 8 years I have only woke up twice with the nose wrapped around my neck and I don't use any special hose management.

I don't know about most people but I sleep in all positions. I can't stay in any one position very long. I am all over the place some nights more so than others.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:16 am

Guest wrote:why does Falcon not need CPAP anymore?
Maybe he still needs CPAP and is in denial:
I found that it really helped significantly with somewhat reducing my sleep-disordered breathing related symptoms ...

http://www.uarsrelief.com/sleeppositions.html
Guest wrote:I've always slept left side, right side, back, stomach....and around again.

Most masks will. It's the users that have problems. You need to be a problem solver and think through how things will be managed while you are rollin' and tumblin' ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBpu3ia7Lwo ). Good hose management is critical to "active sleepers".

If you get a good CPAP therapy going and practice good sleep hygiene, you may find that you aren't as active while asleep.

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:18 pm

Thanks Granny. That makes sense.
I'm gonna start working on it again.
Getting up to pee 5 times a night is getting a tad old (not as old as I am, but ....old)

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:14 pm

Problem solving:

I cut a15" length of 2" PVC and taped it to the windowsill just behind the head of the bed.
The hose will run nicely through that and hopefully will be less unruly...))

bigjack711

Post by bigjack711 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:14 pm

Ask your doc for an RX for Nuvigil (armodafinil) or modafinil. This med will keep you from exhausted, and awake if you are nodding off at inappropriate times like I was (driving for one). For me it was life changing, I still use it frequently even though I'm successfully using CPAP. Lot of years of sleep debt to pay back, afternoon sleepiness and occasional exhaustion still happen.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gerald?

Post by Gerald? » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:29 am

Totally agree with the walking around, ideally in fresh air when you start to nod off. Only needs to be 5 mins.

The other trick I found helpful was to starve yourself at lunch and then eat a larger meal at night. If you can't get through lunch without something to eat, try keeping it to very small protein. (e.g. handful of nuts or a yogurt).

Being hungry helped keep me awake.