power pack compatibility with cpap machine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
mackeral

Re: power pack compatibility with cpap machine

Post by mackeral » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:31 pm

jagzoo, i seem to be exactly at the point where you say 'I couldn't get the cpap to cold start at 10.5" etc. I have a ramp setting sndf my base setting is 0.5. Still no go.

I do use apap and can't quite remember how to change it to cpap. I also hate going into the system and changing around my ramp etc.

I'm so frigging close! when you wrote "all I did was plug my cpap into the poweradd battery pack" I thought, yeah, that's what I want. Then, 'except I had to change all these settings'. I guess I was hoping for something straight forward. I'm happy to do without the humidifier and expect that. I only have a few hours before I have to fly out and I don't want to start playing around now. My fault, I suppose. Again, I was hoping that the battery would be, you know, a battery. Nothing is easy.

mackeral

Post by mackeral » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:32 pm

sorry I meant my base setting is 9.5

Why is there no edit function here?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:39 pm

mackeral wrote:Why is there no edit function here?
You aren't logged in and only logged in members get an edit option for their posts.

If you want to try changing the settings...look here for which ever Respironics machine you have and there's a quick guide for getting into the clinical setup menu.
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p ... tup-manual

Some people never could get that PowerAdd battery to power their machines at all. Some did send them back and get a replacement...and sometimes it would work but some people never could get it to work.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:53 am

Best guess...

Your battery pack is defective or not completely charged.

A better guess could be formulated if you reported the voltage of the pack with nothing attached to it and what happens to that voltage when you turn the machine on.

CapnLoki

Post by CapnLoki » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:13 pm

mackeral wrote:jagzoo, i seem to be exactly at the point where you say 'I couldn't get the cpap to cold start at 10.5" etc. I have a ramp setting sndf my base setting is 0.5. Still no go.

I do use apap and can't quite remember how to change it to cpap. I also hate going into the system and changing around my ramp etc.

I'm so frigging close! when you wrote "all I did was plug my cpap into the poweradd battery pack" I thought, yeah, that's what I want. Then, 'except I had to change all these settings'. I guess I was hoping for something straight forward. I'm happy to do without the humidifier and expect that. I only have a few hours before I have to fly out and I don't want to start playing around now. My fault, I suppose. Again, I was hoping that the battery would be, you know, a battery. Nothing is easy.
My recollection is that some early adopters of this battery had problem the the initial startup load on the would be a bit too much and trip a low voltage fault, shutting it down. Some folks returned the battery and got units that work. The issue is that lithium packs need special circuitry to prevent over/under charging etc, and not all units are tuned quite the same. Since we hadn't heard of this problem recently I assumed the problem was fixed. You may find a setting the gets around this problem.

Additional Comments: Pressure 9-20, average ~9.5; often use battery power while off-grid
Hark, how hard he fetches breath . . .  Act II, Scene IV, King Henry IV Part I, William Shakespeare
Choosing a Battery thread: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t1140 ... ttery.html

jagzoo

Post by jagzoo » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:25 pm

Both my PowerAdd batteries work fine. I can get 3 nights (8-9 hr nights) from each one (at a setting of 11 - probably could use Apap!) and they recharge nicely with my solar panels, or via any electrical outlet, if available - I have used them for 2 different 4 month camping trips during the past 2 years (plus shorter times) and they are still going strong. Sometimes I have power and the other times I am on battery. As I keep them charged, I also have used them during power outages at home ( just need to switch from my Res MEd to the Phillips - takes about 3 minutes). I love them!

They can be quirky- if I cough ( causing a studding increase in pressure) it might shut off. Then I need to disconnect the cord from my CPAP, replug it in and I am set to go. 1 minute! Always keep the cords disconnected if not needing them.

I Will always have a 12v Phillips XPAP - but I can't figure out if I can find the correct connctor for the Dreamweaver. Might have to just get a new/lightly used Phillips 560 to replace mine for traveling.

Hopeful50

Post by Hopeful50 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:04 pm

Whenever you do get the battery and cpap running together, be sure to set the machine at one constant pressure and disable the heat and humidity, in order to get the most out of your battery.

lindsayschach

Post by lindsayschach » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:24 am

Jagzoo, what cable do you use to go from the battery to the CPAP?

Lindsay

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:36 am

xxyzx wrote:
mackeral wrote:Ooops sorry I read the wrong section on the instruction manual.

My respironics is 12 volt dc, apparently. It looks like my battery pack, a Poweradd mobile battery, is compatible with that. Let me know if there's something else I should know to avoid blowing up my cpap machine!
=======

do you have a cable with the matching connectors to the battery and the cpap on oppostite ends

does the battery have the amp hour capacity to run your machine as long as you need it

if you try to use the cigarette lighter aux type outlet they dont always have enough current capacity for a heavy load like the cpap
read the manual and make sure your connector will work with the battery
A XPAP isn't a Heavy Load, avg 4 to 6 amp or less. 16 ga wire is plenty, 14 ga even better make sure it's fused Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

jagzoo

Post by jagzoo » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:34 pm

Lindsay,
I use the included PowerAdd cord with an also included J connector that fits into the Phillips perfectly. No need to buy any other connectors/cords other than what comes with the PowerAdd.

And, yes - remove the humidifier completely. Makes a nice small footprint - especially since there isn't any big power pack when using the battery - just a short cord.

Hope this helps. I've been very happy with this setup.

Jagzoo