power pack compatibility with cpap machine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
mackeral

power pack compatibility with cpap machine

Post by mackeral » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:05 pm

I'm finally going to use my cpap machine while camping. My battery pack says that my Phillips Respironics remstar needs to be DC 5-v USb charged. Does anyone know if it is? I knew this once but I've forgotten!

mackeral

Re: power pack compatibility with cpap machine

Post by mackeral » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:21 pm

Ooops sorry I read the wrong section on the instruction manual.

My respironics is 12 volt dc, apparently. It looks like my battery pack, a Poweradd mobile battery, is compatible with that. Let me know if there's something else I should know to avoid blowing up my cpap machine!

mackeral

Post by mackeral » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:53 pm

Thanks xxyzz: yes I have the appropriate cables and yes the pack has enough power to run my cpap for the one night that I need it.

I'm used to just plugging my machine into a wall socket. Again, as this is the first time I will have used the pack, and knowing nothing about current, etc., I just want to make sure that I don't damage my cpap.

and yes, I'm charging the pack as we speak!

mackeral

Post by mackeral » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:58 pm

I'm assuming that by "connector" you mean the cable that runs from the battery to the cpap...? So it's:

fully charged battery, cable connected from battery to cpap, power on , done. Right? No need for adapters.

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:03 pm

mackeral wrote: yes I have the appropriate cables and yes the pack has enough power to run my cpap for the one night that I need it.

I'm used to just plugging my machine into a wall socket. Again, as this is the first time I will have used the pack, and knowing nothing about current, etc., I just want to make sure that I don't damage my cpap.

and yes, I'm charging the pack as we speak!
Be sure to sleep all nite with it at home before you leave.

mackeral

Post by mackeral » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:24 pm

So my battery is 100 powered, and I have it on 12 volt dc output into my 12 volt respironics cpap. The cpap started...and crashed. In about three seconds. What am I doing wrong? thanks in advance.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:37 pm

Exactly which model Respironics machine are you using?
If uncertain look on the bottom of the blower for a 3 digit number...might have DS or REF in front or behind the 3 digits.
What size is your PowerAdd?
What is your starting pressure? I have read where some people could get their machines to work at a lower pressure or by starting with ramp and then letting the ramp handle the increase when using those PowerAdd battery packs. Initial start up load isn't so much.
Are you using the humidifier? If so, try removing it or turning it off so it isn't drawing power.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

mackeral

Post by mackeral » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:59 pm

Hi Pugsy: thanks for responding. I lowered the humidifier to "0"--I'm not sure if this is the same thing as disabling it. And I set my pressure to 1. It still blew in a few seconds. I'm probably doing something completely obvious wrong.

mackeral

Post by mackeral » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:05 pm

I just saw where it says "use only with power supply 60 w" and then over to the left, "80 w" so already I'm confused.
I have a Remstar auto a flex system one--I can't seem to find a 3 digit number--where is the bottom of the blower? sorry to be so inept.

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:06 pm

What is your battery voltage before you turn your machine on?

What is your battery voltage with the machine running?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:08 pm

0 for humidity turns the humidifier off.

There is no setting of 1 for pressure...the lowest your machine will go is 4 cm. I don't know what you changed to 1 but it wasn't the pressure.

Sounds like your battery pack can't handle the draw from your machine.
As to why...I don't know. I know there was some discussion about this happening a couple of years ago and some people were able to work around it and some never could get their machines to stay on.

You will have to wait until someone with more specific knowledge about these things can offer ideas.
That's why I asked about exactly which model machine you are using and exactly what the information was about the battery pack you are using.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

mackeral

Post by mackeral » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:12 pm

the battery has a variable voltage system. I've set it to 12 volts. The cpap machine says "12 volts" on the back. Its on direct current. Is that the problem?

The cpap machine had been powering on when I plugged in the battery, then blowing when I turned on the blower. This last time, it didn't even power on when I tried to check to see if for some reason the battery defaulted to a different volt. I'm ready to give up and just sleep for one night without the machine.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:17 pm

There's more to a battery's size than just the voltage.
Which PowerAdd did you get?
It may be putting out 12 volts but probably not enough amps to handle the blower.

mackeral

Post by mackeral » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:36 pm

Thanks Pugsy, I think you're probably right the battery can't handle the cpap machine.

the user manual says: Poweradd, monster capacity of 32ooomAh" which is gibberish to me but probably meaningful to someone. And it has a 12 volt option.

It may be that what I really need is a very long extension cord for the tent cabin I'm sleeping in! simple.

jagzoo

Post by jagzoo » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:44 pm

Hi - I have been using a PowerAdd battery for the past 3 years with my Phillips 560 APAP With great results. It should work fine for you.

I've copied what I last posted about this in 2015:

"Hi,
I can only speak from my experience.

I would recommend picking up a gently used Respironics APAP System One (if your APAP is a ResMed) to use for camping. Now that the DreamWeaver is out, they can be found quite reasonably. ( you already have the 12v Respironics) That is what I use camping. With it I use a foldable solar panel :Instapark® Mercury27 Portable & Foldable 27 Watts Solar Battery Charger with DC 12V Output (also has USB and other ports)( since upgraded to a 64 w solar foldable panel) it plugs into a Poweradd Pilot Pro 32000mAh Monster Capacity Multi-Voltage Portable Charger External Battery Pack.

All I have to then do is plug my System One directly into the charged battery pack. I used it for 3 months, off and on as we were dry camping, and at a pressure of 10.5 I was able to get 3 nights (8-10 hrs each). I do try to recharge before the 3rd night, either by electric power (generator or we could plug in) or solar but could have made a 3rd night. The battery couldn't cold start the CPAP to a pressure of 10.5 - ( the CPAP WOULD START AND THEN NOTHING) I did a 5 min. ramp starting at 9 and then there wasn't any problem running at 10.5. I did use straight CPAP, not APAP but I tolerated that well. And, needless to say - no humidification, although pass-over would probably not be a problem. Didn't do any more experimenting with it.

This also works well for backpacking and traveling, as the System One does not have an integrated humidifier, I just left the humidifier at home and then the battery and solar panels weigh only 3.75 lbs together."

Since then, I am still using this system for camping with consistently great results.

I do want to tell you that quality control wasn't too great back then - it might be that your particular battery is defective - I had to exchange my first one, but I have since bought 2 and they work fine. You can PM me if you have other questions if you want to.