Hair Loss Question

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Bertha d

Re: Hair Loss Question

Post by Bertha d » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:17 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:I'm just saying that vanity needs to be put in perspective.

So many, many things are more important.
Maybe, but there's nothing wrong with caring about how you look and feeling good about yourself.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:32 pm

Absolutely right that looking good can mean feeling well enough to manage life and wellness.
Perfection is not always attainable, and creativity is awesome.
For example, sometimes chemo thins brows and lashes.
There are excellent products that produce great results.

Bertha d

Post by Bertha d » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:33 pm

xxyzx wrote: so he should look good in his coffin?

nobody can see the back of his head then anyway
xx, will you please knock it off? Nobody's dying here, it was simply a question about preventing hair loss. No need for drama. Sheesh

Bertha d

Post by Bertha d » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:04 pm

xxyzx wrote:
Bertha d wrote:
xxyzx wrote: so he should look good in his coffin?

nobody can see the back of his head then anyway
xx, will you please knock it off? Nobody's dying here, it was simply a question about preventing hair loss. No need for drama. Sheesh
========

nonsense
use some logic

he can use cpap and live well
or he can save his hair and die early from stroke heartattack or maybe just get really senile

the point is he needs to set priorities
and the cpap trumps hair
Please go back and re-read what jayec said. He said nothing about quitting therapy. It is not a choice of hair or therapy. It sounded to me like he's looking for a way to have both. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Bertha d

Post by Bertha d » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:57 pm

xxyzx wrote: you need to learn to read english

there is no both
and he clearly implied he would have to give up therapy to save his hair

several people replied taking his comments that way

maybe if he had a traecheostomy he could use a throat inserted hose and save his hair by not needing a mask
My reading skills are fine, thanks. Other people hijacked this thread into a matter of life and death. Here are jayec's two posts. I don't see anything about quitting therapy, just how to protect his hair. Besides, he hasn't returned since this thread took such a dramatic turn, so it's probably moot.

First post: "After a few years of wearing my cpap ( I use nasal pillows ) the hair on the back of my head is being rubbed away by the band part that goes around my head. It has completely made the back of my hair crazy..but now it is starting to take my hair away. Anyone have any thoughts on what I need to do to stop this? Thank you in advance! Jaye"

Second (and last) post: "errr....I never said I was not going to wear my cpap. I don't know how we got to me being dead in a coffin? It was just a simple question about hair loss from the mask. I did not know if there were any tricks. I did see a couple good tips and a possible change in my mask to a maskless system. Thanks everyone."

I'm off to bed. Good night, all.

klv329

Post by klv329 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:13 pm

With the resmed swift lt nasal pillow system, I get the scalp spasm pains, whatevery they are, occasionally, where the head gear is at on the sides.

Haven't noticed any hair loss, though.

The resmed p10 is a pretty light nasal mask that should be gentler on the head and hair.

Bertha d

Post by Bertha d » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:19 pm

klv329 wrote:With the resmed swift lt nasal pillow system, I get the scalp spasm pains, whatevery they are, occasionally, where the head gear is at on the sides.

Haven't noticed any hair loss, though.

The resmed p10 is a pretty light nasal mask that should be gentler on the head and hair.
The p10 is my favorite, and you're right about it being light and gentle on the head/hair.

jharmdup

Post by jharmdup » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:22 am

jayec wrote:errr....I never said I was not going to wear my cpap. I don't know how we got to me being dead in a coffin? It was just a simple question about hair loss from the mask. I did not know if there were any tricks. I did see a couple good tips and a possible change in my mask to a maskless system. Thanks everyone.
I use a normal facetowel, fold it in thirds and then double it, then it fits between my head and the elastic band. It really help to prevent hair damage and also any chafing from the elastic band or the skin

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Tapatalk

kteague

Post by kteague » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:25 am

Hopefully you've picked up some tips to help mitigate the hair loss. Sorry you've been faced with people implying the desire to not UNNECESSARILY lose your hair is some sort of character flaw. Good luck going forward.

Ddubois

Post by Ddubois » Fri May 04, 2018 6:40 pm

I now have a trough in my hair on the top of my head, right where the head piece sits. There has to be another style that doesn't require this top part.

BTS

Post by BTS » Fri May 04, 2018 7:48 pm

P10 and a shaved head .. No need to worry about hair loss .. Plus I would be losing it anyway with all the radiation with the MRI - CT machines and treatments for the brain tumor .. So yeah shaving my head works wonders and I can enjoy my favorite mask without the worry of hair loss or at least not notice it. :mrgreen:

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Sun May 06, 2018 9:35 am

I am not ware of any connection of hair loss either to the underlying condition or to CPAP treatment.

However, you were specific in reporting that the straps rubbing your hair is the culprit, so this does seem plausible. Have you tried a different mask, or placing padding between your hear and the straps (as has already been suggested)?

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Sun May 06, 2018 1:22 pm

Ddubois wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 6:40 pm
I now have a trough in my hair on the top of my head, right where the head piece sits.
Have you tried a strap pad? My wife and I both use a strap pad for the strap that goes across the top of our head, and this has lessened the effect the strap has with our hair.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.