Hazards of CPAP :-(

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Hazards of CPAP :-(

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:19 pm

Not to get into the validity of chiropractors/osteopaths,
physical therapy has a better record for lasting results.
It does take effort, makes you sweat, get tired, and get sore,
and that is why many do not prefer it in favor of the quick, easy effects of other means.
Easy is often not the right answer.

southerndoc

Post by southerndoc » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:44 pm

MaxINTJ wrote:I am a front sleeper ans got the Dreamwear nasal mask in the hopes it would be the least intrusive. All was starting to get slightly better until 1 week after starting to use it.

I ended up in the ER 2 weeks ago with severe arm and neck pain and an X-ray now shows a narrowing of the C5-C6 region.

Since I have not had an injury, and since the only thing that changed was using CPAP, I am assuming using it was enough to change the position of my head and neck from where it had been for 50 years and BAM! now I am in pain 100% of the time while I await an MRI and scheduling for PT.

Needless t say, the CPAP is packed away since it is IMPOSSIBLE to get in a position where both it and my arm have any comfort,
Did you get an MRI to actually look at the disc? Chances are it's unrelated to the CPAP equipment. People herniate discs in their neck all the time when they look down, turn their head, etc. Heck, I herniated a disc in my back bending over to check the pulse in a patient's foot one day. Felt like somebody stabbed me with a knife and set my right leg on fire.

Blaming your CPAP equipment causing you to change your sleep position is probably not the correct cause.

southerndoc

Post by southerndoc » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:47 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Not to get into the validity of chiropractors/osteopaths,
physical therapy has a better record for lasting results.
It does take effort, makes you sweat, get tired, and get sore,
and that is why many do not prefer it in favor of the quick, easy effects of other means.
Easy is often not the right answer.
chunkyfrog is right. PT is much better. I would never let a chiropractor touch my neck. Back, yes; neck, never. I've seen a few vertebral artery dissections from patients who had chiropractic manipulation of their neck.

MaxINTJ

Post by MaxINTJ » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:52 pm

southerndoc wrote:
MaxINTJ wrote:I am a front sleeper ans got the Dreamwear nasal mask in the hopes it would be the least intrusive. All was starting to get slightly better until 1 week after starting to use it.

I ended up in the ER 2 weeks ago with severe arm and neck pain and an X-ray now shows a narrowing of the C5-C6 region.

Since I have not had an injury, and since the only thing that changed was using CPAP, I am assuming using it was enough to change the position of my head and neck from where it had been for 50 years and BAM! now I am in pain 100% of the time while I await an MRI and scheduling for PT.

Needless t say, the CPAP is packed away since it is IMPOSSIBLE to get in a position where both it and my arm have any comfort,
Did you get an MRI to actually look at the disc? Chances are it's unrelated to the CPAP equipment. People herniate discs in their neck all the time when they look down, turn their head, etc. Heck, I herniated a disc in my back bending over to check the pulse in a patient's foot one day. Felt like somebody stabbed me with a knife and set my right leg on fire.

Blaming your CPAP equipment causing you to change your sleep position is probably not the correct cause.
Well, my neck has been fine for over 50 years and was just fine the day before. I woke up with a very sore neck that just got worse as the day went on until I ended up in the ER that evening. Since it happened while I slept and the only change in my life was CPAP....

Even if it wasn't, the result is the same - half the sleep I was getting (which wasn't much) before the sleep study and currently no way to get used to CPAP and get the settings right. Very frustrating.
Phillips 960 AutoSV Paving Brick, Phillips Dreamwear Mask - Nothing is working.
Diagnosis of crappy sleep, desats under 80, maybe UARS

southerndoc

Post by southerndoc » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:10 pm

MaxINTJ wrote:
southerndoc wrote:

Well, my neck has been fine for over 50 years and was just fine the day before. I woke up with a very sore neck that just got worse as the day went on until I ended up in the ER that evening. Since it happened while I slept and the only change in my life was CPAP....

Even if it wasn't, the result is the same - half the sleep I was getting (which wasn't much) before the sleep study and currently no way to get used to CPAP and get the settings right. Very frustrating.
Have you seen a pain management physician to see if epidural injections would help? I will caution you to do your research prior to any surgery. Surgery will often times prevent neurologic compromise if you have a central disc herniation with cord compression (i.e., it will prevent further progression causing paralysis or permanent loss of feeling), but if you don't have the beginning signs of this then surgery really isn't indicated. Most people who have surgery still have chronic pain. Surgeons love to do it because it's excellent reimbursement and they still feel like they are helping patients.

Zeds

Post by Zeds » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:48 pm

MaxINTJ wrote:

If your neck has been great for 50 years, that's a lotta years: there's the matter of age setting in..... Age has a way of messing up neurology emanating from the neck for a seemingly minor reason. Suddenly, too. Sleeping on your belly might finally have caught up with you, or the CPAP mask might have intervened (especially in the absence of a mask-friendly pillow).

I got upper body neurology problems from sleeping on my side one night. My shoulders folded towards each other (no one seems to think of this possibility in recommending side sleeping). Crushed my lungs, overstretched my muscles, caused excruciating pain. Upshot? Tedious PT exercises for life...no more side sleeping, definitely no more prone sleeping. Such are the hazards of getting older: you can't argue with them, just DEAL.

Incidentally, I use the Falcon position on my back every night, with pillow supports. It didn't cause OSA (I had the snorting problems some time before), but at least this position keeps my lungs plenty open.

Apologies if I seem to have hijacked this thread..... My point is that AGE HAPPENS. It will mess up necks and lots of other things. Many times a surgical or med "fix" creates new problems. Frequently, though, you can help your body adapt, especially if you attend to what ails you. The CPAPers on this board are an excellent and admirable example of adapting. Bottom line: just DEAL.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:59 pm

Zeds wrote: Apologies if I seem to have hijacked this thread..... My point is that AGE HAPPENS. It will mess up necks and lots of other things. Many times a surgical or med "fix" creates new problems. Frequently, though, you can help your body adapt, especially if you attend to what ails you. The CPAPers on this board are an excellent and admirable example of adapting. Bottom line: just DEAL.
So many people seem to forget, when they're complaining "This has never happened to me BEFORE!" that they've also never been that old before.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:35 pm

MaxINTJ wrote: Honestly, not sleeping on my stomach would be best, just not sure how to change a lifetime of it.
This keeps coming up in your posts and the posts of others. But, as I understand it, the problem is not sleeping on the stomach. The problem is sleeping with your face down in the pillow.

MaxINTJ

Post by MaxINTJ » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:56 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
MaxINTJ wrote: Honestly, not sleeping on my stomach would be best, just not sure how to change a lifetime of it.
This keeps coming up in your posts and the posts of others. But, as I understand it, the problem is not sleeping on the stomach. The problem is sleeping with your face down in the pillow.
Actually, sleeping on your stomach and not turning your head (none or very little) is a better position for your neck than sleeping on your stomach and turning your head 90 degrees. That's probably exactly what injured my neck - because I can no longer bury my face completely because it blocks the vent.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:20 pm

Oh, dear. Well I did try . . .

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:55 pm

MaxINTJ wrote:
ChicagoGranny wrote:
Actually, sleeping on your stomach and not turning your head (none or very little) is a better position for your neck than sleeping on your stomach and turning your head 90 degrees. That's probably exactly what injured my neck - because I can no longer bury my face completely because it blocks the vent.
Ever watched a movie where someone smothers someone else with a pillow? that's what you're describing doing to yourself, sleeping face down on a pillow causes a large buildup of CO2, and deleterious metabolic side effects.

Maybe before you killed off those brain cells, you'da been able to see that.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:23 am

MaxINTJ wrote:bury my face completely
This worries me. Sans CPAP, how can you breathe well in this position?

MaxINTJ

Post by MaxINTJ » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:45 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
MaxINTJ wrote:bury my face completely
This worries me. Sans CPAP, how can you breathe well in this position?
Realistically, when I do that, I shape my pillow(s) so that my nostrils are open to the air - either directly or through a small channel. The mask vents right at the front (stupid place IMHO) so if I get into that same position with the mask on it either leaks or the vent gets blocked, so I have to sleep differently.

After further reading, I am quite sure that having to turn my head while wearing the mask is what screwed up my neck. I have no idea what to do now (after my neck gets fixed). I'm currently looking at a minimum of 3 more weeks (if I'm really, really lucky) for the pain in my arm and shoulder to subside. If it doesn't, according to what I've read, the only cure is surgery with a 10-14 week recovery time. Grrrrrrrrr....

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:06 pm

MaxINTJ wrote:After further reading
What does your doctor say?

BTW, Gramps and I both slept in the Falcon position for many nights (before switching to firm foam cervical collars) without any problem. And, I bet we are a lot older than you.

MaxINTJ

Post by MaxINTJ » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:16 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
MaxINTJ wrote:After further reading
What does your doctor say?

BTW, Gramps and I both slept in the Falcon position for many nights (before switching to firm foam cervical collars) without any problem. And, I bet we are a lot older than you.
Nothing about that yet, as 100% of the conversation now is about relieving my pain so I can function properly. Effing doctor just got back to me and said take benadryl to help with sleep - WTF? I am so drowsy I could sleep anywhere, anytime - it's PAIN waking me up after a few hours.

I'm not yet 60, so I'm guessing you have me beat...