Any non-snorers out there? Secretly hoping I have OSA

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Julie

Re: Any non-snorers out there? Secretly hoping I have OSA

Post by Julie » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:52 pm

So you consider yourself a peer Granny?

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:14 pm

Julie wrote:So you consider yourself a peer Granny?
No. I'm many levels above you.

But, in case you haven't noticed, I don't lord it over you. You often get a pass from me. Just don't cross me.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:02 pm

I have not snored for the last twenty years or so. I had UPPP and deviated septum surgery around 1996 or 1997. I have not snored since then. I was diagnosed with OSA about a month prior to my surgery. The surgery was an attempt to keep from using a cpap machine. My symptom went away for several years, but started coming back about five years ago. Almost three years ago I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea and I still do not snore. My wife snored quite a bit and stopped breathing at night but refused to get tested. She said she could never sleep with one of those things stuck on her face. During our annual check up, I mentioned her symptoms to our doctor, and the doctor scheduled her for the sleep test. She has had her machine since March and is doing great with it. She said it is not nearly as bad as she thought it would be.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

Zeds

Post by Zeds » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:04 pm

I sometimes choke or snort and wake up. It didn't show up in my sleep study, although I was asleep for 6+ hours.

However, the vibrator-picker-upper on my throat noted that I have frequent vibrations in the throat, so not full-out snores. I was surprised how many.

My AHI score is 18. I was shocked at how many "events" there were.

All 18 had a desat >3%. Only desats >4% count for my insurance. I have an AHI of 5 with that scoring.

Ergo, the MD is arguing my insurance won't cover treatment. Nonetheless, I now have a diagnosis of moderate OSA.

Difficult situation.

That's my input on snoring..... You might not snore, but you might still have significant OSA. And your throat might be quite active without qualifying for snores.

PS I am female and feel quite certain that a pink (flowers?) CPAP would contribute to a healthy night's sleep.

palindrome17

Post by palindrome17 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:15 am

Well I had my sleep study!

It was terrible haha. Mostly my fault- I couldn't quiet my own brain. I've come a long way when it comes to sleeping in unfamiliar places. But when there's some anticipation involved (I.e. The day before my wedding) I have such a hard time falling asleep.

I spent hours getting close to dozing off but then my own thoughts would wake me up constantly! I was especially on edge because I was ordered a split study so I'm like "okay gotta sleep long enough so they have data to work with and then switch me to cpap (especially because I stated before, I'm really hoping it is sleep apnea).

Basically I had to go to the bathroom 3 times. The Tech on two occasions when I voiced my stress said that even though I might have felt like I didn't fall asleep that I did a little bit and they were gathering information. She was awesome.

So in the end got woken up at 6, probably had like 2 hours of real sleep. Felt pretty discouraged and stressed that I totally just wasted a sleep study by not sleeping enough. The Tech who in the beginning mentioned "I can't tell you anything as you know " since we both work in healthcare. But when she woke me and I felt so discouraged she subtly said "well obviously we didn't get to put you on cpap but that had more to do with time parameters. We got..the info we need with the amount of sleep so don't worry."

I think she understood my anxiety and threw me a bone there. Obviously I know I shouldn't read into it and her words might be completely different than the docs.

Anyhow that was a long.... now to wait 10-14 days for a call.

I'm ready for a nap.

Last edited by palindrome17 on Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rainmom17

Post by Rainmom17 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:23 am

Good luck with the waiting. Took me about 3 weeks to hear from the doc, and then it was just an impersonal message. I hope your wait isn't as long!

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:05 am

Two or three weeks after my sleep study, I got a call saying they had scheduled me for a bipap titration study. Thee weeks after that, I got a call from the DME to come in and pick up my machine. No mention of how bad my apnea was or anything else. I picked up copies of my sleep study and titration study from the hospital records department and a copy of my prescription from the doctor's office. Only after picking up all of the paper work did I find out how bad my apnea was.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

Rainmom17

Post by Rainmom17 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:58 am

It is shocking to me how little so many of these sleep docs want to communicate with their patients!

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:14 am

It is like retail--if you are not closing a sale, you are WASTING TIME.
NEXT!

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:52 am

Zeds wrote:I sometimes choke or snort and wake up. It didn't show up in my sleep study, although I was asleep for 6+ hours.

However, the vibrator-picker-upper on my throat noted that I have frequent vibrations in the throat, so not full-out snores. I was surprised how many.

My AHI score is 18. I was shocked at how many "events" there were.

All 18 had a desat >3%. Only desats >4% count for my insurance. I have an AHI of 5 with that scoring.

Ergo, the MD is arguing my insurance won't cover treatment. Nonetheless, I now have a diagnosis of moderate OSA.

Difficult situation.

That's my input on snoring..... You might not snore, but you might still have significant OSA. And your throat might be quite active without qualifying for snores.

PS I am female and feel quite certain that a pink (flowers?) CPAP would contribute to a healthy night's sleep.
Leave the room light on, so you can see the Pink, if the lights are off, and you are sleeping it appears to be black. If you are sleeping really well, it's gone! Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

palindrome17

Post by palindrome17 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:15 pm

Just got the call with my results.

Here I was worried they'd tell me I'm just a lazy bum or that I slept so little they'd have to do a sleep study all over again haha. But I slept 2 and a half hours-ish and got enough data.

This was all said quickly over the phone so I might be a little off on my numbers or terms- Im getting mailed a copy of it.

I stopped breathing 33 times/hour (my AHI?) and said my airway was blocked 46 times. My oxygen went down to 84%. The nurse who called me said they classified me as having severe OSA. Again my details could be a little off. I'll post the proper details when I get them. The doc has ordered a prescription for an APAP a set for 5-15 cmh20.

Well what a difference an APAP is going to make! I'm so relieved to have an answer to it all! I won't get called by my DME for about two weeks but they said I'll have my choice of APAP and the ones they have commonly of course are the Resmed Airsense 10 (no for her option) and Respironics Dreamstation (no surprise there.) I suppose I'll need to wait for my detailed report before asking advice on which machine I should get.

Anyway, big sigh of relief being done waiting!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:34 pm

Actually if you have a choice between ResMed and Respirionics apaps
get the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet if at all possible.
It's not that the Respironics DreamStation Auto CPAP is a crap machine but I have owned both brands and there are a couple of things that the ResMed has that you might appreciate having.
Without knowing what pressure you are going to end up needing...I would recommend the ResMed first if at all possible.

I don't have time to go into the details but there are some minor differences that you might appreciate.
The For Her model would be even better but that may be hard to get...always ask though. If you don't ask the answer is always "no".

Do NOT let them give you anything that says AirStart 10...in the name. There is an AirStart 10 apap but you don't want it. It doesn't do any data and it doesn't do a heated hose (which you may or may not need but you want the option available just in case)....So remember Air START....the Start part means you don't want it.

If they make you get the DreamStation...make sure it is model DSX500xxx...the 500 part is real important.
Don't accept the DSX400 or less model.

Your report won't offer any ideas as to what brand machine to use...

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palindrome17

Post by palindrome17 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:01 pm

Pugsy wrote:Actually if you have a choice between ResMed and Respirionics apaps
get the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet if at all possible.
It's not that the Respironics DreamStation Auto CPAP is a crap machine but I have owned both brands and there are a couple of things that the ResMed has that you might appreciate having.
Without knowing what pressure you are going to end up needing...I would recommend the ResMed first if at all possible.

I don't have time to go into the details but there are some minor differences that you might appreciate.
The For Her model would be even better but that may be hard to get...always ask though. If you don't ask the answer is always "no".

Do NOT let them give you anything that says AirStart 10...in the name. There is an AirStart 10 apap but you don't want it. It doesn't do any data and it doesn't do a heated hose (which you may or may not need but you want the option available just in case)....So remember Air START....the Start part means you don't want it.

If they make you get the DreamStation...make sure it is model DSX500xxx...the 500 part is real important.
Don't accept the DSX400 or less model.

Your report won't offer any ideas as to what brand machine to use...
Ah thanks for all the great info! Yeah I wasn't sure if certain sleep patterns and numbers maybe would sway someone towards the algorithm of a particular machine.

I've been gathering from this forum that the Resmed has the most and highest reviews. I admit I was initially attracted to the Dreamstation due to the form factor and sleek design but I certainly was my willing to make that my priority. I mentioned the "for her" to the RT on the phone and it sounded like they found it to not be necessary over the regular Airsense 10 (which I know is not true according to many users) so I don't know if that implies they don't carry at all or if that RT just personally found it not much better than the regular. Once I get my appointment with the DME I'll see if it's an option and try to go for it.

Thanks again!

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:24 pm

My mom and I both have severe sleep apnea, both obstructive, yet very different. I snore like crazy, snort, gasp, etc. I have LOTS of short events frequently. My ahi is very high, but my oxygen doesn't drop by much. My mom is completely different. She doesn't make a sound. She doesn't snore. She doesn't gasp. She looks dead. I used to stop and watch to see if she was breathing. Eventually, I would see some movement, but even though she looks like classic central sleep apnea, she has obstructive. She has longer events with more oxygen desaturation, and a lower ahi.We both use the same model machine and same mask. Almost the same pressure settings. I use major humidifier; she doesn't even add water.

So, lots of variables. Everybody is different. But, definitely, you can have OSA without any obvious snoring.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:30 pm

Either brand will do you a good job...
I just happen to be trying a new AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her machine right now. I had always wondered about it and got a chance to get one.
I experiment with all sorts of stuff...makes the therapy less boring.
I started my therapy on a Respironics apap...ended up needing 10 minimum and 20 maximum to get a good preventative set of pressures for various reasons.
I did quite well with it but over the years I have tried the ResMed along with other models of both brands. Just because I can...not because I was unhappy with what I was using.

So I have been on the AutoSet for Her coming on 2 weeks now....and used both the regular mode and the "for Her" special apap mode...and I am still formulating my thoughts on the 2 different apap modes.

The ResMed regular apap algorithm is a bit different from the Respironics apap algorithm...now I don't know if you are going to like apap mode better or not...heck you mind end up preferring a fixed pressure but it's always nice to have whatever options are available...available for use just in case. So the way the 2 brands go about their business is a bit different...and it's not so much that one brande is "better" than the other but they take different roads to getting to the end result (preventing the airway from collapsing).

With the ResMed apap algorithm....I am using 7 minimum and getting as good or better results in terms of apnea event prevention than I got with using 10 cm minimum on the Respironics. Either one..the special for Her or the regular apap algorithm...and less pressure for me means more comfort and less leak fighting. Which in the long run means less work for me and I am all about less work whenever I can get by without it. I am not seeing the maximum go quite as high either.

Also...should you happen to end up needing higher pressures as a minimum (like over 10 cm) I think that ResMed's EPR form of exhale relief is superior at the higher pressures. Again it's just different...and I am basing all this on my own personal experience.

The AirSense 10 AutoStart for HER....costs the same..your insurance will pay the same no matter ....Your co pay will be the same.
Push to get what you want....you are the one who has to be happy with your decision and it's your therapy, your life and your money.
Read this
https://maskarrayed.wordpress.com/what- ... me-part-i/
and this
http://adventures-in-hosehead-land.blog ... -with.html

I am still formulating my thoughts about the For Her special algorithm. At first I didn't see how it would be all that different or help but I am slowly seeing some things where I can see that it might be better for some people in some situations. Is it critically needed..I don't know about that but I have always been one to think that it is better to have something and not need it than need it and not have it.
That special algorithm...might come in handy for some people and not just women either. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it and you won't know until you can at least try it.

At any rate...I have pretty much had to start over with the experiment because I made a variable happen a couple of days ago that makes it difficult to compare past results (other than the numbers) in terms of sleep quality itself. Long story there that I don't have time to go into right now but I will go into it in my thread where I talk about this experiment once I have more results available from what I did 2 days ago that was unrelated to OSA or cpap therapy.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.