"Also Posted As:"

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
wardmiller

"Also Posted As:"

Post by wardmiller » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:18 pm

This 'feature' only began a few months ago. Now occasionally we see the above quote and then a list of handles. Often regular poster's names appear on the list and sometimes the list is quite long. Today one post had 46 names on the list.

It would seem this serves no useful purpose and detracts from the orderly display. I'm surprised there have not been enough complaints for the program authors to remove this clutter. Who can we notify this clutter is not necessary for the usual user and should be removed? If someone needs this "Also" information, install a feature so those persons can call it up and not force all of us to see it.

Goofproof

Re: "Also Posted As:"

Post by Goofproof » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:26 pm

If you had read any of the many posts on the subject, you would know how it works. You would also know change doesn't happen here unless it just has to. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

WearyOne

Post by WearyOne » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:31 pm

wardmiller wrote:This 'feature' only began a few months ago. Now occasionally we see the above quote and then a list of handles. Often regular poster's names appear on the list and sometimes the list is quite long. Today one post had 46 names on the list.

It would seem this serves no useful purpose and detracts from the orderly display. I'm surprised there have not been enough complaints for the program authors to remove this clutter. Who can we notify this clutter is not necessary for the usual user and should be removed? If someone needs this "Also" information, install a feature so those persons can call it up and not force all of us to see it.
The post below might shed a little light on it. This post can be found in the Announcements section under the thread title: What's Going on With The Forum:
Pugsy wrote:
SnoringInOregon wrote: Does anyone know where the forum gets those alias names? They make no sense to me.
Has something to do with IP address and not being logged in. Forum software mistakenly tries to remember so and so from so and so IP address and attribute the person to that forum ID. Problem is that more than one person might accidentally be using the same IP address...so the forum software lists everyone when in reality it's probably no one.

Ignore it.
The long lists are rather silly, but I just ignore them.

Last edited by WearyOne on Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:47 pm

I've grown to like it. Always looking to see who is posting as me!

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:48 pm

It is easy to ignore.
Long ago, guest posts had very short lists.
Sometimes only one entry appeared when the poster was a member who had forgotten to log in.
The forum is free of charge---such a small annoyance for an amazing community.
If you want fancy, you might have to help pay for it.
Of course, we are always welcome to buy something, or tell our friends. (About cpap.com)

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:41 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:I've grown to like it. Always looking to see who is posting as me!
Yeah, me too. I was amazed at how many posts I made over the weekend that I don't remember posting as that person at all.

I have learned to just tune it out (like I tune out some members) and just scroll past it. Nothing we can do about it that I know of and I suspect it will get worse unless forum owner decided to make it a member only post forum with no guest or not logged in posting...and I don't see that ever happening.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:42 pm

As our internet providers become increasingly CHEAP, the lists will only grow longer.
Just a little reminder that the more we pay, the less we get.

kteague

Post by kteague » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:22 pm

First thread I spotted with a search on the topic was in 2007. That was at a glance, not in depth diving. Time flies...

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:27 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:As our internet providers become increasingly CHEAP, the lists will only grow longer.
Cheap has nothing to do with it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv4_address_exhaustion

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Lucyhere

Post by Lucyhere » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:16 am

chunkyfrog wrote:As our internet providers become increasingly CHEAP, the lists will only grow longer.

Nothing at all to do with "cheap". IP problem and that's it. A few years ago I was accused of being a whole bunch of people... had no idea who those people even were.

Edit: Just noticed PR's post and link. Nope, nothing to do with $$$.
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for her w/humid air/heated Humidifier
Bleep/P10

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:54 am

chunkyfrog wrote:It is easy to ignore.
Long ago, guest posts had very short lists.
Sometimes only one entry appeared when the poster was a member who had forgotten to log in.
The forum is free of charge---such a small annoyance for an amazing community.
If you want fancy, you might have to help pay for it.
Of course, we are always welcome to buy something, or tell our friends. (About cpap.com) :mrgreen:
Yes, these lists used to be only one or two user names, maybe three users long. I wouldn't try to explain why they've now become so long, since I don't have the source code for this bbs. But if it were me running the forum, I'd turn this feature off if I could, it looks silly to have a 6" column of "also posted as" listing for a one sentence posting. I am finding it annoying, since there's no useful information in all those lines, it's just a waste of vertical space, lots of scrolling for no reason. Which may not matter to some people, but all the scrolling around is getting more and more annoying to me. I see my user name in the lists sometimes, but the novelty of that wore thin some time ago *smile*.

Anyways, love to see this forum software "feature" turned off. I can easily tell if a user isn't registered or isn't logged in without this. And it certainly won't tell me who the user was supposed to be, if they, say, forgot to log in.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:17 am

It has been discussed a few times in the past few weeks. I know I have seen my name on a few of the lists, and I haven't posted from anywhere excep home in probably a year ore more. I used to post while traveling, or even with my ipod at work. But I haven't done that in a long time.

To me, it sounds like IP addresses get reused so a feature that made sense back then simply isn't accurate anymore.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

wardmiller

Post by wardmiller » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:45 pm

Goofproof wrote:If you had read any of the many posts on the subject, you would know how it works.
Goofy, I joined this forum in 2012 and logged on almost every day thereafter. Until about three years ago when I got fed up with the snippy, sometimes down right disgusting, comments like yours that were becoming commonplace. All my friends are well mannered. All the participants on all the forums I belong to on the web are well mannered. My free time is limited, so I choose not to interact with ill-mannered, in my view, people. Now I only drop in here occasionally. That characteristic here has not changed.
Goofproof wrote:You would also know change doesn't happen here unless it just has to.
If this change had to happen, I asked why? Out of 100 poster/readers here, how many must know the "Also Posted" history?

My point was and is, if that meaningless list is unnecessary, it should never have been created, and should now be removed permanently.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:12 pm

wardmiller wrote:if that meaningless list is unnecessary, it should never have been created
At the time it was created, it was thought that it would reduce the number of members logging out and making nasty posts as anonymous Guests. It may have for a while, but with the worldwide shortage of IP addresses, it became useless.
wardmiller wrote:should now be removed permanently
It would seem an easy task to turn off the routine that creates the list.

How is your wife doing?

phuqueutoo

Post by phuqueutoo » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:57 am

wardmiller wrote:
Goofproof wrote:If you had read any of the many posts on the subject, you would know how it works.
Goofy, I joined this forum in 2012 and logged on almost every day thereafter. Until about three years ago when I got fed up with the snippy, sometimes down right disgusting, comments like yours that were becoming commonplace. All my friends are well mannered. All the participants on all the forums I belong to on the web are well mannered. My free time is limited, so I choose not to interact with ill-mannered, in my view, people. Now I only drop in here occasionally. That characteristic here has not changed.
Goofproof wrote:You would also know change doesn't happen here unless it just has to.
If this change had to happen, I asked why? Out of 100 poster/readers here, how many must know the "Also Posted" history?

My point was and is, if that meaningless list is unnecessary, it should never have been created, and should now be removed permanently.
BRAVO!!! Someone else noticing how rude, annoying, and just plain mean this forum is! XXYZX is only one, albeit extreme example. Goofproof is another, as is Palerider.