ASV and (another) High Altitude Question

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
TASmart

Re: ASV and (another) High Altitude Question

Post by TASmart » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:25 pm

Just how is typing ( or saying since xxyzx once claimed to have lost his hands in combat) 10,000 instead of 8,500 a "meaningless typo"? Especially when the jnitial statement was corrected and restated? That now makes three errors or outright lies in only one thread.
All posts reflect my own opinion based on my experience and reading.
Your mileage may vary
Past performance is no guarantee of future results
Consult with your own physician as people very

Uncle Flapp

Post by Uncle Flapp » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:28 pm

I'm really starting to hate this forum. Don't know why I bother with it. If I want senseless bickering, I'll deal with my teenage kids.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:09 pm

Uncle Flapp wrote:Just got back from Peru. At higher altitudes (Cusco ~12,000ft), I did see a slight increase in my AHI - all HYPs but the machine kept OAs and CAs at bay. I went from an AHI average of 1.0 to 3.5.

- Flappy
Welcome back, Uncle Flapp! Some of us would be interested in a travelogue

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

amenite

Post by amenite » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:51 pm

Uncle Flapp wrote:I'm really starting to hate this forum. Don't know why I bother with it. If I want senseless bickering, I'll deal with my teenage kids.
Please do use the ignore feature if you're game, we can't afford to lose any more adults around here

Curious if you ran on battery at all and if so was the power consumption much more than lower altitudes? I'm only using xPAP (no ASV) but thinking about a trip to Chile for the 2019 total solar eclipse. I've only been on xPAP as high as ~6000'

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:52 pm

In the future, I suggest contacting the manufacturer if you're planning to go considerably higher than the max altitude supported according to the manual.

Respironics said that my CPAP should do fine in Quito which is higher than the max supported altitude. However, I ended up cancelling for other reasons.

BTW, I had previously traveled to Quito with an Everest 3 (also not supported). The manufacturer was already out of business, so there was nobody to ask. It worked fine, except that the heater plate did not work (same experience in Shangri-La, China and a few places in Northern Chile).

Uncle Flapp

Post by Uncle Flapp » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:41 am

amenite wrote:Curious if you ran on battery at all and if so was the power consumption much more than lower altitudes? I'm only using xPAP (no ASV) but thinking about a trip to Chile for the 2019 total solar eclipse. I've only been on xPAP as high as ~6000'
Nope, no battery. Stayed in hotels every night. Peru uses 220v on a Class C plug but most outlets also accommodated a Class A. I was able to plug my machine directly in the wall since the PRS1 960 power brick can run on 110v or 220v. No issues there at all. Only once on the trip did I need to use a Class A to Class C power adapter. The airport hotel even had a few 110v sockets available for us gringos.
D.H. wrote:In the future, I suggest contacting the manufacturer if you're planning to go considerably higher than the max altitude supported according to the manual.

Respironics said that my CPAP should do fine in Quito which is higher than the max supported altitude. However, I ended up cancelling for other reasons.

BTW, I had previously traveled to Quito with an Everest 3 (also not supported). The manufacturer was already out of business, so there was nobody to ask. It worked fine, except that the heater plate did not work (same experience in Shangri-La, China and a few places in Northern Chile).
There wasn't much of a point in me contacting the manufacturer because I was set on going and wouldn't be willing to pony-up a few grand for another ASV even if I could find one rated to 12,000ft. My ASV did the job - no CAs during the trip and when I did have a higher than normal AHI, I was having trouble breathing while awake; therefore, attributed the HYPs to difficulty acclimating to the extreme altitude.

- Flappy

Uncle Flapp

Post by Uncle Flapp » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:53 am

palerider wrote:Welcome back, Uncle Flapp! Some of us would be interested in a travelogue
Good to be back! We did Lima, Cusco, Ollantaytambo, Aguas Callientes, and Machu Picchu. Lots to see - a week wasn't enough! There were three things that stood out to me: 1) the sheerness and height of the mountains with their spectacular views; 2) all of the Incan ruins; 3) The food and Peruvian's love for cuy. Yah, Google #3. I didn't have the courage (or stomach) to try it.

- Flappy

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:47 pm

Uncle Flapp wrote:
palerider wrote:Welcome back, Uncle Flapp! Some of us would be interested in a travelogue
Good to be back! We did Lima, Cusco, Ollantaytambo, Aguas Callientes, and Machu Picchu. Lots to see - a week wasn't enough! There were three things that stood out to me: 1) the sheerness and height of the mountains with their spectacular views; 2) all of the Incan ruins; 3) The food and Peruvian's love for cuy. Yah, Google #3. I didn't have the courage (or stomach) to try it.

- Flappy
Nice... I don't suppose you have a picture album?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Uncle Flapp

Post by Uncle Flapp » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:16 pm

Hi Palerider. I just got home after a work trip and was able to make some time for a better share. Here is a more detailed overview:

Day 1 - Late arrival in Lima. Spend the night in the Wyndham Hotel attached to the airport. Way overpriced at $225 but very convenient
Day 2 - Took a taxi from the hotel to Cineguilla, Lima, Peru. 90 minute ride cost around 90 Soles ($28). Attended a cousin's wedding and spent the night in a modest hotel. Cost was $65
Day 3 - Took a taxi back to the Lima airport. Hopped on a flight (LC Peru Airlines) to Cusco. After circling for about 30 minutes, the plane was unable to land due to a storm so we turned around and went back to Lima. Spent the night in the Windham Airport Hotel again awaiting the next flight out at 4:30am
Day 4 - Successfully flew from Lima to Cusco. Took a shuttle from the airport on a two-hour ride to Ollantaytambo. Explored the town and the ruins. Spent the night in a hotel with good views
Day 5 - Took a three-wheeled taxi to the train station and rode the railway into Aguas Callientes. That town is only accessible by train. No roadways other than for a bus to and from Machu Picchu
Day 6 - Explored Machu Picchu from 6am until noon. Took the train back to Ollantaytambo and a taxi back to Cusco
Day 7 - Flew from Cusco to Lima and checked-in again to the Wyndham Airport. Spent the afternoon exploring Lima and went to a wonderful seafood restaurant, La Mar, for the best ceviche I've ever eaten
Day 8 - 6am flight from Lima back to the states. 16 hours later, I made it home.

It was a whirlwind trip and because of the airport closure in Cusco, we lost a day exploring. I would have liked to have done some museums and checked out the ruins there but we didn't have the time.

I posted some photos here: https://imgur.com/a/hKAlg

- Flappy

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:01 am

Uncle Flapp wrote:Hi Palerider. I just got home after a work trip and was able to make some time for a better share. Here is a more detailed overview:

Day 1 - Late arrival in Lima. Spend the night in the Wyndham Hotel attached to the airport. Way overpriced at $225 but very convenient
Day 2 - Took a taxi from the hotel to Cineguilla, Lima, Peru. 90 minute ride cost around 90 Soles ($28). Attended a cousin's wedding and spent the night in a modest hotel. Cost was $65
Day 3 - Took a taxi back to the Lima airport. Hopped on a flight (LC Peru Airlines) to Cusco. After circling for about 30 minutes, the plane was unable to land due to a storm so we turned around and went back to Lima. Spent the night in the Windham Airport Hotel again awaiting the next flight out at 4:30am
Day 4 - Successfully flew from Lima to Cusco. Took a shuttle from the airport on a two-hour ride to Ollantaytambo. Explored the town and the ruins. Spent the night in a hotel with good views
Day 5 - Took a three-wheeled taxi to the train station and rode the railway into Aguas Callientes. That town is only accessible by train. No roadways other than for a bus to and from Machu Picchu
Day 6 - Explored Machu Picchu from 6am until noon. Took the train back to Ollantaytambo and a taxi back to Cusco
Day 7 - Flew from Cusco to Lima and checked-in again to the Wyndham Airport. Spent the afternoon exploring Lima and went to a wonderful seafood restaurant, La Mar, for the best ceviche I've ever eaten
Day 8 - 6am flight from Lima back to the states. 16 hours later, I made it home.

It was a whirlwind trip and because of the airport closure in Cusco, we lost a day exploring. I would have liked to have done some museums and checked out the ruins there but we didn't have the time.

I posted some photos here: https://imgur.com/a/hKAlg

- Flappy
Thank you, I'm envious

poppi2

Post by poppi2 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:29 am

palerider wrote:.......
Thank you, I'm envious
Me too. Thanks for letting us have a peek.

ps, I did visit Juarez once.

kteague

Post by kteague » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:05 am

Stunning photos. Thank you for the opportunity to travel vicariously through your adventures.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:49 am

Amazing, gorgeous, such great builders!

Soothest Sleep

Post by Soothest Sleep » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:17 am

Thanks for sharing the photos. I enjoyed my Saturday morning travelogue! Loved the alpaca posing--great character in his face, lol.
O soft embalmer of the still midnight,
Shutting, with careful fingers and benign,
Our gloom-pleas'd eyes, embower'd from the light,
Enshaded in forgetfulness divine
-- John Keats

Uncle Flapp

Post by Uncle Flapp » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:42 pm

Happy to share.

Truth be told, don't know that I would go back. Peru was never on the bucket list but when a cousin decided to get married there, we jumped at the opportunity. Wife and I did Costa Rica last year and had a much better time.

- Flappy