Need for supplemental oxygen ?!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
mirakaja

Need for supplemental oxygen ?!

Post by mirakaja » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:38 am

I am sitting here just stunned. My sleep doctors office just called and said they want to put me on supplemental oxygen at night. They had me do an overnight oximetry test last week and apparently those results prompted the call. I see the doctor on Thursday. The woman who called me said she didn't know the results of my test, but I doubt she was going to tell me anyways. I started CPAP therapy three months ago. There was also a shocker for me as I had no symptoms and never considered I had sleep apnea. Was diagnosed with ahi of 30. But anyways I started it and I thought I have been doing very well. My AHIs are usually between .2 and 1.2. I do sleep better and I am glad for that--a nice surprise! At my first sleep study my tests showed my oxygen levels fluctuated quite a bit with them often in the low 90s but at times occasionally as low as 70. But after my second sleep study, I asked the technician what my levels were and she said they were fine. At my last doctor's visit I just casually asked him about oxygen levels and he said kind of in an offhanded way that we can test it if you want. So that's what we did. So I have no idea what is going on and am confused and worried. So why am I writing? I don't really know – I guess I just needed to vent. Not sure what to expect and worried what this next step will entail. The nurse did mention this might be temporary, but I've no idea what that meant. I just would've thought that with my CPAP therapy seeming to work well, low oxygen levels shouldn't be a problem. So that makes me wonder if I got some other medical issues going on – except I don't have any symppyoms of low oxygen levels during the day? Right now, it's just all too much for me!

ajack

Re: Need for supplemental oxygen ?!

Post by ajack » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:44 am

you would normally be titrated on a bipap/bilevel before o2 is supplemented. Do you have copd, asthma or other lung issues? There can also be o2/co2 gas exchange issues.

mirakaja

Post by mirakaja » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:46 am

I have no known lung issues.

ajack

Post by ajack » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:55 am

If you are getting enough air in and out, I guess it could be a gas exchange issue? No doubt they will run some tests and find out what's going on. They won't just put you on o2 and pat you on the head.

mirakaja

Post by mirakaja » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:01 am

I don't know what you mean by gas exchange issues?

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:10 am

Quite honestly it's possible your MDs may be idiots who don't understand Cpap well (not at all uncommon). There are others here who can explain the tech stuff in better detail today and I'll leave that to them, but for now, relax as it won't help anything not to, and from the sound of things you're probably fine.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:18 am

There may be other issues involved that are causing the doctor to want to add oxygen. Obviously the recent pulse ox done with cpap caused him to be concerned. It must have dropped despite the xpap therapy fixing the sleep apnea issues.
There are lots of causes for low oxygen levels besides sleep apnea.

Don't panic just make an appointment to talk it all over with the doctor so that he can explain his reasons.
Wondering about "what ifs" here isn't going to resolve any questions...you need to talk to the doctor directly.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

ajack

Post by ajack » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:19 am

doctor Google always says you died yesterday, every symptom is a major disease.. If it was urgent, they would have put you in hospital for a week. Are you breathing fast and laboured?

gas exchange is when the o2 in the air and co2 in the blood swap over. the o2 moves into the blood and the co2 moves from the blood to the air.
http://www.msdmanuals.com/en-au/home/lu ... on-dioxide

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:19 am

If you had your own recording oximeter you could do a few nights of monitoring and print out some data to take with you when you go to discuss this with your doctor.

raisedfist

Post by raisedfist » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:29 am

It would be nice if you can show some charts from SleepyHead along with a pulse ox recording from the same night.

PS Min 6, PS Max 18, EPAP Min 4, EPAP Max 12

Doublev

Post by Doublev » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:36 pm

Get the supplemental oxygen.. especially if you are on a cpap.. why care? it plugs into your hose. Just dont let the spo2 get to 99-100. Otherwise enjoy the oxygen and extra energy.

I really want an oxygen concentrator and I have no real health reason for it. I just want my spo2 to be at 97-98 all night long (right now it is 91-92).. it sounds so refreshing

ajack

Post by ajack » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:42 pm

Compared to your awake level, your asleep o2 level is suppose to be lower in sleep stages through the night

Doublev

Post by Doublev » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:45 pm

ajack wrote:Compared to your awake level, your asleep o2 level is suppose to be lower in sleep stages through the night
I agree this is true. Do you think spo2 of 98 while sleeping is harmful, though?

Since getting my cpap a few months ago i have become obsessed with quality sleep. My life has changed for the better

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:50 pm

Your doctor is most likely aware that it is normal for oxygen levels to dip a little when asleep...so his wanting to add O2 must be from something else.

Again..you need to be talking to your doctor to find out what his thoughts are and why.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:59 pm

If they give you an oxygen concentrater, be aware they are rather noisy. If you are a light sleeper, it may be advisable to put the machine in a different room and use a long oxygen tube to run into the bedroom. When I was using oxygen at night, I kept the machine next to the bed, but neither my wife or I are light sleepers, so the noise did not bother us. I was put on oxygen at night until I could get tested and start treatment for my sleep apnea.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.