How much is mental?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
lwieland11

Re: How much is mental?

Post by lwieland11 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:36 pm

Hard to keep a positive attitude after you've been through six sleep studies, 4 different kinds of machines, multiple masks, numerous supplies and making all the right adjustments and you still don't feel good.

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:00 pm

In the beginning about 80% mental and 20% physical.

Now it is about 20% mental and 80% physical.

I started out trying to solve a problem. This required sorting through a bunch of information in an effort to try to understand the problem and then to move forward to a solution. I had to formulate questions that accurately described the problem and then needed to sort through the information to see if any of it applied.

Once I have information the next step is to formulate some assumptions to see if I can turn that information into applicable knowledge. If my assumptions are wrong my house of cards falls and I have to start over with different assumptions. If my assumptions are correct I can then move to figuring out how to apply the solution with the goal of eliminating a specific problem

So far everything is mental. Attitude is important but beyond that you need to sort through things to find a path toward your goal.

Taking the information and applying it is where things change from mental to physical. Now you have to actually put into practice what you have learned and find a way to make it work. If my focus is too wide I end up in dispare because I am unable to specifically find a solution. If my focus is too narrow I end up feeling that I am the only one with this specific problem. I think it is better to start with a narrow focus and then back up a little to recognize that others may not have exactly the same problem but are experiencing something that is very similar. This is where you can strike up a conversation and learn from others.

At this point you jump in and make the damn thing work.

Now a feedback system is needed. Review your data and see what the machine says. Review how you feel and see if you solved the problem. If your machine says you are doing good and you still feel like crap it is time to start over with another set of assumptions and solve the next problem. You have resolved apnea issues but there may be something else going on.

If you feel absolutely great and jump out of bed ready to greet the day, you have arrived...

At this point you realize that your assumptions are holding and your solution is working. No more mental effort is required other than to maintain realistic expectations. Now everything is physical. Use the machine every time you sleep and keep an eye on the data to make sure something isn't changing.

Overall I think the mental side is the most important. You need to have a good attitude and you need to form questions that address the problem. The physical side of tolerating the mask and turning the machine on is pretty easy once you understand and see the results of answering your original questions. Sometimes there are multiple things interfering with your sleep. Once you get your breathing issues resolved you can now move on to start the process all over again to find solutions to those other problems. Keep the goal of experiencing restful sleep in mind and solutions should be attainable.

Paul50

Post by Paul50 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:21 am

LSAT wrote:You need a positive attitude...negativity will make you fail. Approach it looking forward to how much better you will feel and how much healthier you will be.
I concur

JHZR2

Post by JHZR2 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:08 am

The only mental thing that occasionally bit me was the feeling like I couldn't get all the air in that I wanted. My prescription is low at 8cm...

Cold, low humidity air to sleep in (be careful for dryness) was the best fix. I find I'm less sleepy using it, and more importantly perhaps, the wife sleeps better.

bigdave36

Post by bigdave36 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:33 am

"Half of this is 90% mental"
Yogi Berra...(sort of:)

Bertha deBlues

Post by Bertha deBlues » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:36 am

bigdave36 wrote:"Half of this is 90% mental"
Yogi Berra...(sort of:)