First night

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Pugsy

Re: First night

Post by Pugsy » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:53 am

WearyOne wrote: Well, I think they certainly should have asked you!

I figured as much. I'll switch to auto for a while and see what it shows. Thanks again!
If you want to still use a single fixed pressure but have FL flagging turned on just go to auto mode and set the minimum pressure to equal the maximum pressure and you will still be using a fixed pressure but with FL flagging turned on. You don't just have to use a range of pressures in auto mode if you don't want to.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

MaxINTJ

Post by MaxINTJ » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:27 pm

Let's try an image...

http://imgur.com/LvE7xlz
Phillips 960 AutoSV Paving Brick, Phillips Dreamwear Mask - Nothing is working.
Diagnosis of crappy sleep, desats under 80, maybe UARS

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:43 pm

Hmmm...wonder why the top pressure line is a bit whacky and broken up. Oh well, it's a little bug in the software I bet. The bottom line is fine.

Last night's AHI is half what the first night was with the minimum of 7...substantial reduction in the CAs and the hyponeas, etc.
Still a little more "clutter" than I would like to see especially with your history.
So I think the minimum of 8 helped somewhat.

Normally I would say stick with 8 minimum for a few nights but given your history and what I have read about UARS pressure needs and the fact that your APAP time is limited...I would bump it up to 9 minimum tonight and see what happens.

You had one brief episode of large leak...not enough to worry about.

The leak line...that varies because your pressure is varying. The top leak line is what we call total leak which is the mask's expected vent rate (intentional) leak plus any excess leak.
Vent rate will increase as pressures increase so the fact that it goes up with the pressure increases is normal and to be expected. You are having some excess leak as well but until you get to large leak territory the machine can compensate for it very well.
Now if the leaks are disturbing your sleep...that's another story. Any leak (even a teeny tiny leak) that disturbs our sleep is unwanted.

Funny that your highest pressure seems to come about 60 to 90 minutes after sleep onset...which makes me think REM sleep.
When I was on APAP my highest pressures were frequently during that first REM stage for some reason.
Since you rarely sleep on your back (if ever) I doubt that we can blame that pressure increase on supine sleeping.

Actually for night number 2 on cpap....a pretty good report at least on paper. Decent number of hours despite your needing to take the mask off to "get some real sleep". I won't bust you on that right now. Just a warning....bad habits are really easy to make and notoriously hard to break. Avoid yielding to that temptation whenever possible.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

WearyOne

Post by WearyOne » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:30 pm

Pugsy wrote:
WearyOne wrote: Well, I think they certainly should have asked you!

I figured as much. I'll switch to auto for a while and see what it shows. Thanks again!
If you want to still use a single fixed pressure but have FL flagging turned on just go to auto mode and set the minimum pressure to equal the maximum pressure and you will still be using a fixed pressure but with FL flagging turned on. You don't just have to use a range of pressures in auto mode if you don't want to.
I was just going to do something like 8 and 9, not realizing I could set them both at the same pressure. Thanks so much, Pugsy!

ajack

Post by ajack » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:15 pm

before you do anything, get a ffm to stop the mouth breathing

read about positional obstruction, chin tucking etc for the clusters, some need different pillows or a cheap foam cervical collar

see how it goes, you may need to lift your min pressure to 10

you don't need an ASV

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:27 am

Full face masks don't stop mouth breathing. All they do is make it so that therapy pressure isn't lost out the mouth if/when someone mouth breathes. They won't stop dry mouth either.
I don't see enough leak here to warrant a full face mask...and we don't know for sure that what little leak is seen was mouth breathing.

WearyOne

Post by WearyOne » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:33 am

I can attest to the fact that wearing a full-face mask doesn't stop mouth breathing. Neither does a chin strap as the lips can still open. At least for me. But at least I know I am not losing therapy air, just get a horrid dry mouth.