Dry eyes and Resmed AirSense 10

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
fmgmike-as guest

Dry eyes and Resmed AirSense 10

Post by fmgmike-as guest » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:20 am

Hello all,

Since February 2017 I’ve had dry eyes--a new problem for me. I’ve been using CPAP for over 10 years but began using a new Resmed AirSense 10 in January 2017, since my old Resmed S8 was getting noisy. I am trying to see if there might be a connection between the new A10 CPAP and the eye irritation. Please let me know if there are any other AirSense A10 users developing dry eyes within weeks or months of starting usage of the machine. As anyone with dry eyes can tell you, it is challenging for discomfort reasons, but also causes blurry vision which leads to fatigue.

Here are some more details to elaborate my situation:
* I’m 54 and use a computer for much of my work day (for years now), so I’m aware that the dry eyes could simply be a consequence of aging and my daily activity.
* I’ve used CPAP nightly for over 10 years
* I continued to use the same full-face (nose-mouth) mask (Resmed Mirage Quattro) throughout the transition from my older Resmed S8 Escape (setting 9) to the AirSense A10 (setting 9-16). I also use a heated humidifier each night. I have used both the integral AirSense A10 humidifier and an external canister humidifier. Both seem to work OK for the hydration aspect but don’t improve the dry eyes one way or the other.
* At my request, my doctor reduced the max pressure of the machine, so it is now set at 9-13 (down from 9-16). According to the Resmed reports, I still have excellent therapy with that adjustment. The change did not improve my dry eyes.
* The AirSense 10 reports show zero mask leakage every single night; however, I think that a very small leak just around the eyes might not be detected by Resmed A10 algorithms.
* From Feb-May 2017 I tried to determine if mask could be leaking just barely around my eyes, and I’m pretty confident that my mask is not leaking. The dry eye symptoms are present from the moment I wake up, and I can tell right away if it is going to be a pretty bad day or just mildly annoying day. My dry eyes bother both eyes approximately equally—not changing from day to day or eye to eye. I would think a leak would affect one or the other eyes drastically differently each night. I changed regularly to fresh cushions, with no beneficial effect. I even tried using swim goggles to block any air flow to my eyes, but that generally wasn’t a successful experiment, as the CPAP mask and various goggle frames seem to fit poorly when worn together (no surprise, I guess!).

Here is a related question for AirSense 10 users:
Have you ever detected an odd odor from the machine in your mask at times? I don’t really know how to describe it exactly, but I try by saying there is an odd sour/bitter/burnt smell sometimes when I take a sudden DEEP breath (while awake, which causes the machine to “rev” a little bit). I can also detect the same odor from my own sinuses when I blow my nose immediately in the morning. My suspicion is that it could be a machine lubricant or something that comes from the machine at very low levels. Of course, the odor fades to the background after several minutes of CPAP usage and I can’t smell it much otherwise. Anyone know what I’m talking about?

This is my first post to the forum. Thanks for your responses here, and also for contributing to a very valuable forum.

Mike T

CPAP: Resmed AirSense 10
Mask: Mirage Quattro (full nose-mouth), switched in July 2017 to Airtouch F20

SewTired

Re: Dry eyes and Resmed AirSense 10

Post by SewTired » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:17 pm

Hi Mike, so sorry to hear of your problems. The only factor I could think of is that the pressure on your new unit is stronger than your old unit due to older seals. However, you lowered your pressure so that should have managed that. You have the same mask. So, with lower pressure and the same mask, I suspect that your problem is simply coincidental. To completely eliminate the machine as a cause, you'd want to try some kind of sleep mask that would prevent ANY leakage from the mask from reaching your eyes for several days. The ones at Walgreens (blue) are nice because they cup the eye (about $8).

I developed dry eye coincidentally when I switched to new contact lenses. Unfortunately, it turned out to be a more serious problem and the contact lenses may have just pushed what was already there over the edge; I had to give them up immediately. I've had trouble ever since (age 38 at the time, late 50s now) and it's quite bad now. At this point, yes, any amount of leakage from the mask and I have blurry vision the next day and sometimes even drops won't allay that. But there are other medical conditions that can cause dry eye - diabetes doesn't exactly cause it, but can make the condition worse. Just getting older is another. Maybe others have a suggestion beyond the sleep mask test. Good luck!

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

snoozysue

Re: Dry eyes and Resmed AirSense 10

Post by snoozysue » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:47 pm

Hi, I have a Quattro mask and was having terrible trouble with dry and sore eyes.
After experimenting with a range or bought and homemade devices I have found the one thing that really keeps my eyes safe is the Tranquileyes mask with gel eyedrops.

They foam is soft and the mask fits behind my mask.

https://www.dryeyeshop.com/tranquileyes ... -p356.aspx

Hope you find a solution that works for you.