Heated hose recommendation

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Dorhero

Heated hose recommendation

Post by Dorhero » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:44 pm

Thank you all for your hard work making a forum where there are already answers to so many problems I've had.

I have to make several purchases, including a heated hose (rain in both hose and mask).

I'm not sure which hose to purchase. Are they all the same? I'm considering a "Universal Heated Hose Tubing With Power Supply." Will that work with my machine (Devilbiss Intellipap BiLevel S)?

This is something that I should have purchased with the machine but I was too much of a noob to understand the need.

Frankly, this whole project is both the most rewarding and the most challenge filled of my life. I'd rather deal with a board room full of angry business men than try to figure some of this out. Thank you for your help!

Pugsy

Re: Heated hose recommendation

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:20 pm

Not sure the the DeVilbiss machines are heated hose capable as in an integrated heated hose like the ResMed and Respironics machines have.
I don't think it is but you can use what we call a stand alone heated hose that will do the job and warm the air so that you won't get condensation in the mask or hose.
I used one way back when no machines had integrated heated hoses.

This is the one I used.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/hybern ... -hose.html
It worked very well. You can't put a hose cozy on it nor do you want to run this hose under the bed covers because the air will simply get too warm for comfort.

I think I still have it. I would be willing to sell it at a discount if you want to save some money. Just send me a Private Message.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:32 pm

DeVilbiss machines don't appear to have a heated hose option at all. I just looked and couldn't find any mention at all.
The only choice is to use the stand alone type of heated hose...and any of those will work with any cpap machine.
The Hybernite will work as well as some of the other brands.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:46 pm

xxyzx wrote:how do they control the temperature on the stand alone ?
There is no temperature selection. It is either off or on.
How they maintain the temperature..beats me.
Knowing what I know now after using the stand alone and the integrated heated hoses the temperature of the air with the stand alone hose seems to be about what I get with my ResMed set to 86 degrees. It's not overly warm or hot by any means unless someone covers the hose with something....which I did inadvertently once. It got under the bed covers. The literature that come with it said "no hose cover" because it gets to warm and it does.

Cpapian

Post by Cpapian » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:08 pm

Dorhero wrote:
I have to make several purchases, including a heated hose (rain in both hose and mask).
I am a newbee too, but ..... if you are having rainout problems, is a heated hose your only solution?

Last week I started a thread "ideal APAP machine height ". It is on the second page of the directory now. The reason I mention it is, perhaps your rainout problems could be solved by repositioning the machine and / or the hose .

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:19 pm

Cpapian wrote:if you are having rainout problems, is a heated hose your only solution?
Heated hose isn't the only option but it is the option he asked about so I didn't go into the other options.

See this thread posts number 2 and 3 where I talk about rain out in the hose and mask and all the various options.
viewtopic/t94035/Pugsys-Pointers-3Deali ... -road.html

Positioning the machine lower might help some but often it isn't enough especially when people use hose management systems that have the hose going uphill even a little bit. Also does help much with moisture in the mask unless a person lays in a position where the opening to the hose is lower than the person and if you look at where that opening is when you are in bed you pretty much have to be face down to let gravity help out.

Hose cozies help...but they add weight to the hose which can be annoying.
You can warm up the bedroom.
You can reduce the humidity level.
So yes, there are other options. Several in fact.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:06 am

xxyzx wrote:a crude engineering solution that is the best possible but not really good overall
one size fits nobody will fit enough people good enough to be better than nothing
Did you know that for years and years there were no integrated heated hoses and stand alone heated hoses were the only option in terms of heated hoses?

Back when I first started therapy the only stand alone heated hose available was the Aussie heated hose and that sucker cost $150 I think it was.
Way too pricey...so I got first hand experience with using all the various other options for dealing with rain out because I wouldn't spend that much money on a hose and not know if it worked well or not. In hind sight now, it would have save me a lot of grief with rain out in the winter time if I had just ordered it and been done with it. Instead I was hard headed battled rain out for 2 full winters and part of a third until I bought the Hybernite. Best money I ever spent was the $80 (at that time) for the Hybernite. I had tried all those other options I listed in the bumps in the road thread and had marginal success.

First integrated heated hose was with the ResMed S9 machines in 2010 but I had a Respironics machine at that time and they didn't come up with a heated hose until the 60 series PR S1 models. The did it solely to combat the S9...their first S1 50 series models released in 2010 didn't have the option.

Since DeVilbiss has yet to offer a heated hose capable machine then at least for those users...stand alone is a lot better than nothing.
And yes probably "crude" compared to what is available now but if "crude" is all that is available then it's really a lot better than nothing. Sometimes "crude" gets the job done and that's all that matters.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:49 am

xxyzx wrote:
Dorhero wrote:Thank you all for your hard work making a forum where there are already answers to so many problems I've had.

I'm not sure which hose to purchase. Are they all the same? I'm considering a "Universal Heated Hose Tubing With Power Supply." Will that work with my machine (Devilbiss Intellipap BiLevel S)?

This is something that I should have purchased with the machine but I was too much of a noob to understand the need.

Frankly, this whole project is both the most rewarding and the most challenge filled of my life. I'd rather deal with a board room full of angry business men than try to figure some of this out. Thank you for your help!
=======

maybe an expert will show up to answer it

i would be afraid taht you need items taht are specific to your makers machine.
why not ask your DME or google for items that work with your devilbliss

ask devilbliss. do they have a website with info ?

i doubt that any hose has a power supply with it.
it shoudl be heated from the power supply in the xpap.
but maybe devilbliss is different.
Is it really necessary to answer a post to tell the poster that you don't have the answer?

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:54 am

Dorhero wrote:rain in both hose and mask
What climate do you live in? What do you keep the temp in the bedroom?

Do you really need that much humidity? You might have the humidifier setting too high. You could try turning it down one notch per night to see how you do. If you get it down to the point that the rainout is solved, and your nasal passages are not dry, then you may not need a heated hose.

How are you with heat? I did not like the extra heat a heated hose puts in my bed.

Dorhero

Post by Dorhero » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:59 pm

Pugsy wrote:
See this thread posts number 2 and 3 where I talk about rain out in the hose and mask and all the various options.
viewtopic/t94035/Pugsys-Pointers-3Deali ... -road.html
Excellent resource. I ran across your pointers while researching this problem. It was really helpful. This is a really frustrating process and I really appreciate your organized insight.
ChicagoGranny wrote:
Dorhero wrote:rain in both hose and mask
What climate do you live in? What do you keep the temp in the bedroom?
Houston, TX area. It is VERY hot and humid. So, I keep my AC down pretty low (I like it around 74 F but that is an ideal that I rarely get). Note that my AC unit(s) take a good portion of humidity out of the ambient air.
ChicagoGranny wrote: Do you really need that much humidity? You might have the humidifier setting too high. You could try turning it down one notch per night to see how you do. If you get it down to the point that the rainout is solved, and your nasal passages are not dry, then you may not need a heated hose.
Probably not. Last night I turned it down to "1" and I was comfortable. First night I used "7" and that was comfortable but I got too hot during the night. That could have been any number of things, though. No rainout on either of those nights, BTW.
ChicagoGranny wrote:How are you with heat? I did not like the extra heat a heated hose puts in my bed.
I DETEST heat, especially in the summer. I prefer about 74 F ambient temperature. But, after reading Pugsy's pointers, and knowing what I know about physics, I think it's best to go ahead and get the heated hose. No reason to fool around with it since I'm pretty sure it will be a recurring problem and I'm pretty sure it's why I have so many mask problems.

I've been telling my peeps that my xpap has its own weather system. It feels like you're strapping a tornado onto your face, it rains, its like a tropical rain-forest. I can't wait until I work through all of this and get some contiguous sleep.

So this brings up another interesting issue:
Using a full face mask (which is going away as soon as I get my new one), I feel like I'm trying to breathe in a tropical forest as the night progresses. It doesn't really affect the quality of my breathing (I don't think), but I don't like the feeling of hot air on my nose and mouth. Since I'm replacing it with a nasal pillow, I'm hoping it will become a non-issue. I guess we'll see.

Today I am ordering a Swift LT, the heated hose mentioned in the OP, and the data module for the DeVilbiss unit. I figured that it would be hard to troubleshoot the problems I'm having without insight into what's actually happening while I'm sleeping (or trying to sleep, so far). I'll try to report back with my experiences, successes, and failures.

Again, I want to thank EVERYBODY for your contribution to this and the other issues on the forum. Every opinion is helpful. Even those that a pondering in nature. Sometimes, you just want someone to commiserate with, along with facts, figures, and experiences. It seems like its going to be an epic journey.

Sheffey

Post by Sheffey » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:27 pm

Dorhero wrote:Houston, TX area. It is VERY hot and humid. So, I keep my AC down pretty low (I like it around 74 F but that is an ideal that I rarely get). Note that my AC unit(s) take a good portion of humidity out of the ambient air.

I DETEST heat, especially in the summer. I prefer about 74 F ambient temperature.

its like a tropical rain-forest.
I bet you could do without the humidifier entirely while in Houston. I don't use one at home. It is very humid and hot here, so our A/C also takes a lot of humidity out of the air.

I occasionally visit Houston on business and don't take a CPAP humidifier.

Dorhero wrote:So this brings up another interesting issue:
Using a full face mask (which is going away as soon as I get my new one), I feel like I'm trying to breathe in a tropical forest as the night progresses. It doesn't really affect the quality of my breathing (I don't think), but I don't like the feeling of hot air on my nose and mouth. Since I'm replacing it with a nasal pillow, I'm hoping it will become a non-issue. I guess we'll see.
How did you come to use a FFM? They are prescribed for people who can't keep their mouths shut while sleeping. If you can't keep your mouth shut, you will introduce a serious problem with nasal pillows.

Keep working at it. A lot of this is trial and error to find out what works in your case.
Sheffey

Dorhero

Post by Dorhero » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:58 pm

Sheffey wrote:
Dorhero wrote:Houston, TX area. It is VERY hot and humid. So, I keep my AC down pretty low (I like it around 74 F but that is an ideal that I rarely get). Note that my AC unit(s) take a good portion of humidity out of the ambient air.

I DETEST heat, especially in the summer. I prefer about 74 F ambient temperature.

its like a tropical rain-forest.
I bet you could do without the humidifier entirely while in Houston. I don't use one at home. It is very humid and hot here, so our A/C also takes a lot of humidity out of the air.

I occasionally visit Houston on business and don't take a CPAP humidifier.
You're probably right. My prescription said with heated humidifier, so, that's what I bought. I was (am) totally ignorant to the trials ahead of me. <naive> I though I would get my brand new CPAP machine, plug it in, go to bed, and wake up incredibly rested and, basically, a super hero. </naive>

Sheffey wrote:
Dorhero wrote:So this brings up another interesting issue:
How did you come to use a FFM? They are prescribed for people who can't keep their mouths shut while sleeping. If you can't keep your mouth shut, you will introduce a serious problem with nasal pillows.
Again, I was naive. I asked some friends who I knew were using CPAP. One of them was not very helpful, but the one who already had a full face mask was very supportive. He mentioned that he was a mouth breather, and, with no other evidence to go on but what people told me about my own sleeping habits, I assumed I was a mouth breather. My experience with the FFM has proven that I am not a mouth breather. I will say that either the XPAP or the FFM relieved me immediately of symptoms I had with dry mouth. It was worth it just for that.
Sheffey wrote:Keep working at it. A lot of this is trial and error to find out what works in your case.
Your kind words inspire me. Thank you everyone for your input.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:13 am

Dorhero wrote:I though I would get my brand new CPAP machine, plug it in, go to bed, and wake up incredibly rested and, basically, a super hero. </naive>
That's typical. There was one lady here, who, when she got involved and saw how complicated it could be, posted, "I thought CPAP was a little box you put on your nightstand, and then you slept well."

Dorhero

Post by Dorhero » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:02 pm

An update:

I got the heated hose and the Swift LT Nasal Pillow. It seems that the nasal pillow removed the problem of rain-out, so I haven't used the heated hose.

The nasal pillow removed most of the problems I was having. My impression of the whole process was based on my experience with a full face mask, which was not good. The nasal pillow gives me a good night's sleep and has made my life wonderful.

I didn't get the data module until today. Turns out that all I ordered was a device to plug into my bi-pap to collect data...there was no data processing software or a way to read the data. Another very helpful member was kind enough to point out where I can download the software, so I'm installing that now. Still have no way of getting the data from the machine to the PC.

In the meantime, I've been plugging the SmartCode data into Devilbiss' website and getting a little information. My AHI is around 13 with the nasal pillow, which I assume is too high. I feel great with that level, so I can't imagine how I'll feel if I ever get it below 10. I'll be checking it more closely when I get a way to analyze the data. It may be I have leaks or the unit is set wrong or any number of things, I guess.

Anyhoo, thanks again, everyone!