How the hell is this going to work?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Gabby Hawk

How the hell is this going to work?

Post by Gabby Hawk » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:00 pm

So, I'm a fifteen year old girl, and I've had my CPAP for about three days. I've started to think about it all, and I thought to myself 'how the hell is this going to work?' I'm turning 16 in about ten days, and I wanted a few of my friends to sleep over, but now I have a CPAP. What if they think it's weird or annoying? And I'm probably not going to be invited to stay over at other people places because they'd be worried about everyone else finding it annoying. I'm also in marching band, which has a week long camp I have to go to, and share a room with three to for other girls for the week. I just don't know how to do this.

TedVPAP

Re: How the hell is this going to work?

Post by TedVPAP » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:12 pm

Gabby Hawk wrote:So, I'm a fifteen year old girl, and I've had my CPAP for about three days. I've started to think about it all, and I thought to myself 'how the hell is this going to work?' I'm turning 16 in about ten days, and I wanted a few of my friends to sleep over, but now I have a CPAP. What if they think it's weird or annoying? And I'm probably not going to be invited to stay over at other people places because they'd be worried about everyone else finding it annoying. I'm also in marching band, which has a week long camp I have to go to, and share a room with three to for other girls for the week. I just don't know how to do this.
Hi Gabby.

Before I attempt to address any of your questions, I have a few questions. How are you adjusting to your CPAP treatment? Is it helping? Often it takes awhile to feel the benefits. How bad is your sleep apnea? What mask and machine are you using?

Welcome to the forum.

Additional Comments: AutoPAP 16-20, Ultimate Chin Strap http://sleepapneasolutionsinc.com/
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment:
how to see your data https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead
how to present your data https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize
how to post your data https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

Gabby Hawk

Post by Gabby Hawk » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:19 pm

TedVPAP wrote:
Hi Gabby.

Before I attempt to address any of your questions, I have a few questions. How are you adjusting to your CPAP treatment? Is it helping? Often it takes awhile to feel the benefits. How bad is your sleep apnea? What mask and machine are you using?

Welcome to the forum.
I seem to have adjusted fairly well to it, I sleep through the night with it already and stuff. I'm not sure if it's helping really yet, I've been sick these past few days so I'm not sure. My sleep apnea is weird I don't know how to rank it, my doctor said I had episodes where I stop breathing about eight times an hour and I'm only set to six on my machine. I have a full face mask and I'm using a ResMed airsense machine.

I hope that's what you wanted to know XD

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:31 pm

Gabby - Cpap wasn't sent to annoy you, make your life worse or anything else. It's supposed to make your life better, as is any other medical 'answer' people use, take, have, etc. There are young married people who write in wanting to know how to handle it, but then their 'other half' also writes and says thanks for helping my wife or husband to live longer... and PS it's fun playing Darth Vader (or whatever character they like). I have no idea how it could be 'annoying' to other people, but it'll be as big of a deal or not as you choose to make it. Any of your friends ever have to remove their retainers when they were younger (or maybe even now) when they go to bed? Medical stuff isn't weird, just necessary, but you can explain to them how it works and I think they'll think it's cool! Plus... you don't really have to put the mask on til lights out (once you get used to doing it).

One question however, because your result was so low at 8, do you usually sleep on your back? If so, it's very likely that if you sleep on your side your apnea may not even be high enough to need a machine as back sleeping provokes more events. But you'd have to take another test to find out. And really important is even if you're on a side when going to sleep, without wearing a backpack stuffed with towels, etc. every night for a while til you quit flipping onto your back when asleep, you won't know for sure either.
Last edited by Julie on Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:41 pm, edited 5 times in total.

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:31 pm

I have a friend that has to wear glasses. I find them very annoying but somehow we manage. The only time he doesn't wear glasses is when he sleeps. Unfortunately I am sleeping at the same time.

Both of you use appliances to improve your quality of life. He wears glasses, you use xPAP. Anyone that questions your efforts to improve your quality of life is not worth having as a friend.

You have an advantage. You are only hooked up to xPAP when you are sleeping.

TedVPAP

Post by TedVPAP » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:20 pm

Gabby Hawk wrote:
TedVPAP wrote:
Hi Gabby.

Welcome to the forum.
I seem to have adjusted fairly well to it, I sleep through the night with it already and stuff. I'm not sure if it's helping really yet, I've been sick these past few days so I'm not sure. My sleep apnea is weird I don't know how to rank it, my doctor said I had episodes where I stop breathing about eight times an hour and I'm only set to six on my machine. I have a full face mask and I'm using a ResMed airsense machine.

I hope that's what you wanted to know XD
Thanks for the info. Your AHI of 8 is not that bad, but over the years it will take its toll. As Julie said, sleeping on your side my help you significantly. Your pressure (6 cm-h2o) is on the low end which is consistent with you diagnosis. Although I was never tested when I was your age, I am sure that I also had mild sleep apnea. I was tested 25 years later due to heart problems and my apnea rate was 60 events every hour. Each event results in your body releasing a shot of adrenalin so that your body wakes up searching for air. This takes its toll over the years. It creates heart problems. It is unfortunate that you have to deal with this but you are very fortunate that your issue can be treated and that the treatment is very effective.
Your friends will understand your situation. I am sure that they care a lot less about then you might think they do. Do you have any friends that are diabetic? It is fairly common. They have to manage their issue constantly.
Life is full of challenges. I am sure you will raise to this challenge and be successful. Your health is you most valuable possession.

Additional Comments: AutoPAP 16-20, Ultimate Chin Strap http://sleepapneasolutionsinc.com/
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment:
how to see your data https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead
how to present your data https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize
how to post your data https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

zilch

Post by zilch » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:26 pm

Gabby Hawk wrote:So, I'm a fifteen year old girl, and I've had my CPAP for about three days. I've started to think about it all, and I thought to myself 'how the hell is this going to work?' I'm turning 16 in about ten days, and I wanted a few of my friends to sleep over, but now I have a CPAP. What if they think it's weird or annoying? And I'm probably not going to be invited to stay over at other people places because they'd be worried about everyone else finding it annoying. I'm also in marching band, which has a week long camp I have to go to, and share a room with three to for other girls for the week. I just don't know how to do this.
Hi Gabby,

I agree that it's like someone needing braces or glasses or crutches.

This may be a controversial opinion. Before you started Cpap, how did you feel during the day? If you felt fine, then maybe you can skip wearing it on your birthday since you're very self conscious about it and it may distract you from your party. Similar to being on a diet and cheating one day for some birthday cake.

You can also talk to your closest friends about it and I'm sure they'd rather have you healthy than seeing your face while you sleep. Maybe some other time have just one or two friends sleep over when you use your machine.

Hopefully you're not an self conscious about it by the time you go to band camp. Like this one time at band camp...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RonS

Post by RonS » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:32 pm

(One thing... without the cpap you might be loudly snoring or gasping for breath. Perhaps your friends would think that's more annoying than the gentle quiet sound of the machine.)

I wish you well! It will all be okay in the end. It will!!!

ajack

Post by ajack » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:41 pm

make a joke of it..call yourself a fighter pilot from top gun. they wear similar masks and hoses. 16 is an impossible age, full of peer group stuff. take it one day at a time.

Last edited by ajack on Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CPAPPED-ADAPT

Post by CPAPPED-ADAPT » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:02 pm

Is there a known reason for the full face mask, or is it one you preferred? Did they give you the option of trying other styles, such as a nasal mask? If there is a sound medical or financial reason to stay with the full mask, please do so. But a nasal might be easier for both yourself and others to cope with. Assuming you don't mouth breathe, which can result in an unacceptable leak rate.

At any rate, you are so far ahead of many much older than yourself. You found this forum right after starting pap, and began posting. Great job so far, and I'm sure these overnights will work out just fine once you've decided the best path to follow.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:18 pm

if that's a problem for your 'friends', then they're not really friends.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Soothest Sleep

Post by Soothest Sleep » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:37 pm

Hi, Gabby,
Welcome to the forum. I think you're going to do just fine coping with the social aspects of using cpap--after all, here you are discussing your issues with total strangers! (Granted, we're using pap equipment, too. . .) Besides the points already made about you being responsible and tackling a health issue head on, you could think of the coping process as something of a scientific experiment. You could share your new-found knowledge with your friends (and true friends will care about this). Counter any "annoying" comments by asking the speaker if they would consider a crutch, orthodontic headgear, hearing aids, or a cast as equally annoying--they are necessary medical devices, too.

As for band camp, by the time you go, you will be much more experienced with your equipment and getting better sleep, both of which conditions will make it easier for you to be matter-of-fact with anyone who thinks your use of cpap is annoying. Also, be sure to discuss your need for an easily accessible electrical outlet close to your bed with the band director, camp organizer or chaperone well in advance of the event, so they can see that your need is accommodated.

You can do this. Just take it one step at a time.
Jean
O soft embalmer of the still midnight,
Shutting, with careful fingers and benign,
Our gloom-pleas'd eyes, embower'd from the light,
Enshaded in forgetfulness divine
-- John Keats

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:17 am

I know it is a really tough age to deal with this when you don't want to stand out as weird, especially if you don't get to pick who your roommates will be at camp.

That said, I wish I had been diagnosed when I was in high school or college. I probably had sleep apnea back then, but I didn't know it. I went from being a morning person to a severe night owl. Could be unrelated, but looking back, I think I was avoiding sleep because part of me knew it was a bad time for me. College was a disaster for me. Most of my classes were only available in the morning. I couldn't get to sleep before 1am. I was getting u p at 5 or 6am to to get to classes. I fell asleep during my first calculus exam. I went from an A student in high school to almost flunking out of college. Many classes that I passed were such a low grade that they wouldn't count toward my degree without being taken again. That first calculus class? I took it 5 times. Got a 1.9 three of those times. Never got the required 2.0.I went through a time where I really thought I must be stupid. I didn't realize how badly my sleep was messed up. I was even forgetting worse on a daily basis. I finally had to quit college even though I was technically a senior (but at least two fulls years from earning a degree). If I had been treated for sleep apnea back then, I probably would have stayed on a normal schedule, gotten my degree in a normal time frame, and have a normal, well paying job these days. I have learned to make the best of it, and after 20 years of being a severe night owl, I don't expect to ever go back to a normal schedule. But I do know that my life would be very different today had I been treated 20+ years ago.

And that doesn't even cover the health changes I have experienced in the last 10 years that probably could have been prevented. I would have good energy 20 years ago and not slowly gained weight, become less active, etc. My blood pressure probably would have stayed normal, so I wouldn't be on multiple medications.

You have the opportunity to prevent a LOT of problems from ever starting. Just by starting treatment now.

As for sharing a room with people, I did feel a bit embarrassed at first, but ALL of my friends were amazed at how quiet the machine was. I was never teased. I haven't heard a single complaint. Totally different than my days of snoring. THAT was embarrassing.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:38 am

It's what you make of it! It's a big problem if you make it so! It's a minor detail if you make that so!

I'm sure that it's a lot less annoying than your snoring! If anybody says anything, remind that person that the alternative is loud snoring!

BTW, unless you have a very old machine or one that is not working correctly, it is very quiet! The first CPAP machines were so noisy and bulky that they were placed outside the bedroom,and connected with a very long hose! Be grateful you don't have to deal with that!

Bons

Post by Bons » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:04 am

My daughter was diagnosed at your age. Her camp friends were glad when she showed up with her cpap - they remembered her snoring from the year before. The girls that did not know her took cues from her as far as how to respond to it. She matter of factly just placed it on chair next to her bunk (brought an extension cord from home) and put it on. The only teasing she got was friendly kidding that she'd brought it so she had an excuse not to sleep in the top bunk - no name calling or anything.

The summer she caught hell was the summer she "forgot" to bring it to camp (began working there) and the other staff members complained about her snoring. It got shipped to her in a hurry.

A slumber party can be tough because people talk until they fall asleep. For that reason, a full face mask can be helpful because you can talk while using it due to the equalized pressure in your nose and mouth - talking with a nasal mask kinda comes out in a Donald Duck voice as air comes in your nose and rushes out your mouth while you speak. To get over the initial embarrassment, I agree with the suggestion to have a friend or two over at a time. Don't ask for pity or apologize for anything, just simply state that you need it to sleep. In my day it was harnesses for braces that embarrassed teens at sleep overs; friends may think it's weird at first but they and you will get over it.

You could also ask your doctor about going to band camp without it. I wouldn't suggest this if you were having problems adapting to it, but it sounds like you'd have the maturity to go back to using it when you return. If your AHI was higher in a certain sleeping position, like lying on your back, perhaps the doc would say it's okay to go without it by adjusting your sleep position - extra pillows to keep you more upright, or the old sew a pocket with a tennis ball in it to the back of your night shirt to keep you off your back.

Vowing not to go sets up a bad precedent for resenting the cpap that might lead you to never using it (about 50% of people who get prescribed one stop, endangering their health). You should not have to choose between enjoying your life and living a healthy life for something as simple as a cpap.

And never, never be ashamed of doing something to safeguard your health and your life.