Anonymous poll

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Liam1965

Thanks, everyone...

Post by Liam1965 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:59 pm

I thought that was going to be the consensus, but as I said at the start, I'd hate to think I was annoying most people, and y'all were just too polite to say something.

I'm still open to hearing the dissenting opinion if anyone wants to give it. Meanwhile, I'll just keep on doing what I've been doing.

Liam, Court Jester and all around wiseass.

glassgal

Please don't stop the humor!

Post by glassgal » Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:18 pm

Hi Liam,

I have to raise my hand to join the consensus here. This forum is a very interesting place to come because of the diversity found. We all have our trials and tribulations, and it is wonderful to have all of the great folks of this board to follow their stories and give great advice, even if it is sometimes tongue in cheek! I believe that it is never intended to hurt, and if someone takes the humor the wrong way, it is their problem, Liam, not yours! I think that if we all think back, that Liam has been here a relatively short time, learned a lot and most importantly helped a lot of people accept the situation that they find themselves in with a little humor to make the medicine sweeter.

See, Liam, I am a real glutton for punishment -- I love to read your stuff, but it hurts when I laugh (and cough -- nasty flu).

Keep up the good work and don't let the wet blankets get you down!

Jane

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:31 pm

I love humor and appreciate "lightening up" on any message boards. Depending on what topics an absolute newcomer to this board might happen to click on first, the new user looking for serious help might be thrilled to see that there can also be humor involved with this kind of treatment...or might be disappointed to see wisecracks instead of the help they were looking for at that first "click".

If they stick with this board though, and keep reading, every newcomer will find the specific help they're looking for, as well as the relief of laughter that can help so much in dealing with health problems. They'll read what they want to, skip what they want to, jump in when they want to...learn, share, gripe, vent, offer advice from their own experiences and laugh....all keeping this message board active, useful and funny.

Perhaps a good thing to keep in mind is that the first reply to any serious question, especially a question posed by a newcomer, zero in on what they are asking about before the kidding starts. Other than that, I think everyone who does much message board reading at all learns how to skip over or glance at anything that doesn't interest them or offends them. I get a chuckle out of most of the humorous things I see written on here. When I don't, I just shrug and skip it.

A mixture of laughter along with serious help for the predicament we're all in is healthy, imho. As long as the information comes first and the kidding around second, I think it works. Liam, you've come up with comments that have made me laugh out loud, literally. I appreciate it.
Last edited by rested gal on Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cpaper

Post by cpaper » Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:32 pm

Liam, you help to make this forum an actual pleasure to come to, when really it could be part of the pain. As Derek said:
derek wrote:What I find so different about this board is the up-beat attitude, and the ability to laugh at ourselves in the presence of a somewhat intrusive nightly therapy.

For me you’ve been a large part of this. Lets face it going to bed at night looking like we all do requires a certain sense of humour I think.

Besides, all the big guns on here have really taken to you which shows even the more advanced cpapers welcome a humorous angle. Don't let the occasional grumpy pants stop you! Besides your posts have often helped me technically too.

Gregg

kilrush

Liam

Post by kilrush » Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:09 pm

Hi Liam, I enjoy all your responses! When I see your name I will read it just to see what you have to say. Vote me in yes Please!!! We need a little humor in life.
kilrush

seanconnery

Post by seanconnery » Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:39 pm

I entered this newsgroup because I have an immediate need; a need to know about hardware, then it changed to a need about the circumstances, past, currrent that others had, then I began to understand that you were people with identity and character, and then I felt I was part of a community.

I for one, do not enjoy public jollity nor do I emote easily. I enjoy a more private interaction. H owever, I do enjoy being a part of the silent group out there, reading, understanding, and sometimes contributing. I am still new and have little to contribute specifically regarding being a hosehead. I tend to do more researching and understanding before I feel I can offer something of substance.

I vote for the diversity and the community I feel I am part of, the common trhread being our physical (and sometimes psychological and emotional) adversities. When I first joined, was welcomed sincerely and I appreciated that.

Lastly, I would offer Mr. Dressup's secret ot life:

Be kind, do good.

I would add, be yourselves.

rock and roll

Post by rock and roll » Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:48 pm

No , I put in my vote to keep it lose! I have been on several other message boards and I have kept on this one because of the sense of humor and the great people on it. This is a very serious affliction and I know I have only been able to deal with it with a sense of humor. I look forward to the humor and a laugh! Let's don't change it. Also I love all the new signature pictures getting on.

Plastic Rhino

Post by Plastic Rhino » Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:01 pm

I'm at a different computer tonight so in order to find this site I ran "cpaptalk" on Google. Google responded by asking "did you really mean carptalk??

I think this supplies to answer to Liam's question. This board is for discussions of everything from "fish" to "nuts" so to speak, with some side discussions about hose heating.

I say bring it on.

Plastic Rhino, who NOW understands what his hose heater is for.

tomjax

Appropriate Humor

Post by tomjax » Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:15 pm

Liam, As a newbie, I do not know how funny you are or if you are funny at all. Sometimes funny is in the ear of the listener. Sometimes my wife does not think I am nearly as funny as I think I am.

As a newbie to this forum trying to figure it out, one thought is that it is very difficult to navigate thru.

My humor was not appreciated at all by Sandman on sleepnet as many of my posts, hence my presence here.
I wish it was easier to learn. There should be a silly section as well as a serious one.

I once posted to sleepnet about an indecent proposal I experienced when I stopped by a sleep center I saw when going to another docs appointment. I told them I went in and was greeted by a very bubbly receptionist who asked me if I wanted to come spend the night with them.

You would have thought I was a pedophile trolling for action from the reply I got from Sandman for the post. I thought it was funny. Guess I was wrong.
Can you say ANAL?

Sometimes we gotta laugh. Maybe here, not there.
Any other sleepnet dropouts here? And whatever happened to Perry?

'nuf for now. Keep it up. Liam, and i will see if you are funny.
Tomjax

Mikesus

Re: Appropriate Humor

Post by Mikesus » Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:45 pm

tomjax wrote:Liam, As a newbie, I do not know how funny you are or if you are funny at all. Sometimes funny is in the ear of the listener. Sometimes my wife does not think I am nearly as funny as I think I am.

As a newbie to this forum trying to figure it out, one thought is that it is very difficult to navigate thru.

My humor was not appreciated at all by Sandman on sleepnet as many of my posts, hence my presence here.
I wish it was easier to learn. There should be a silly section as well as a serious one.

I once posted to sleepnet about an indecent proposal I experienced when I stopped by a sleep center I saw when going to another docs appointment. I told them I went in and was greeted by a very bubbly receptionist who asked me if I wanted to come spend the night with them.

You would have thought I was a pedophile trolling for action from the reply I got from Sandman for the post. I thought it was funny. Guess I was wrong.
Can you say ANAL?

Sometimes we gotta laugh. Maybe here, not there.
Any other sleepnet dropouts here? And whatever happened to Perry?

'nuf for now. Keep it up. Liam, and i will see if you are funny.
Tomjax
Well, the question begs to ask, did you take em up on the offer? I personally would have been worried if they charged by the hour

Davidmcc

Post by Davidmcc » Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:05 pm

Liam, keep the humour coming. Whilst , like Sean Connery, I feel I am to new to the world CPAP, to provide much useful advice, I am learning and will post more as I increase in confidence, and the belief that I have something to contribute as my CPAP knowledge and experience of CPAP usage continues.
Like others have said, I feel this board is developing a real feeling of community. I look upon this group as being more of a support group than simply a source of information.
As I my earlier posts indicate, my CPAP journey is just beginning. I received my prescription, and initial rental machine yesterday, it is a Remstar Pro set at 7.2 cm with Cflex set on 3, and a humidifier which I used, with a Respironics Comfortgel mask for the first time last night. Whether I stick with this model, or purchase another, (probably a Remstar Auto with all the bits), remains to be seen.
Needless to say, the changes to my "normal" routine, meant I did not fall asleep as quickly or as easily as I have been due to the obvious changes of wearing and breathing though pressurised mask, connected via a hose to a machine alongside the bed, that will take some getting use to. But I did fall sleep, I only woke up once, and I did succeed in intentially removing and refitting the mask during the night, in the dark. When I woke up in the morning I believe I fealt slightly more refreshed than normal. As I am a firm believer in the power of positive thught I have no doubt that as my usage of the CPAP and mask becomes more "normal" to me my situation will improve.

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:21 pm

Liam I hope your ego has been boosted. You seem to have the response you were hoping for. I do hope it helps your depression. We all need a boost from time to time. I think humor in stressful times is critical to sanity and success in overcoming whatever dubious circumstance you face. I used to look forward to reading your posts and especially you signature one liners at the end when you first joined up. However, I feel the humor you are so poetically gifted with seems to obscure and overcome the help many come here to find. Unfortunatly, your "humor" seems to dominate this message board (kudos to you) but when it come down to substance vs. humor I would prefer substance with some humor rather than humor with a little substance. Although rested gal states that she enjoys your humor she made several good points one of which stands out
or might be disappointed to see wisecracks instead of the help they were looking for at that first "click".
I feel for those that leave here disappointed and still struggling for answers.

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:28 pm

and yes it is an Anonymous post because my comments will not be received with an open mind sadly to say and insults have been flung before.

Liam1965

Post by Liam1965 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:33 pm

Anonymous wrote:Liam I hope your ego has been boosted.
I didn't post this thread so my ego could be stroked. I posted it to find out if, in fact, the majority of people wanted me to either tone it down or leave entirely.

As far as I can see, the majority has spoken. I was not "hoping for" any other answer than the truth. If that truth had turned out to be that people didn't want me to post any more, I want to know that. Since it turns out that you're vastly in the minority, I want to know that, too.

It has been pointed out that there are several other boards available for those who want their information dry, boring and clinical but 100% on topic. It has also been stated that the more fun feel of this board is why some people stay. If you don't like it, there are other boards.

You are, as you (I assume it's the same you) posted before, absolutely welcome to your own opinion. But whereas I have made an attempt to make sure I was NOT violating the common opinion, you seem quite content to insist that I'm wrong IN SPITE OF IT.

And you don't seem to realize that what really makes your posts not worth the time they take to read is that they are not CONSTRUCTIVE criticisms. Starting out with "I hope your ego has been boosted", that's not constructive, that's a potshot, and if that's the game you want to play, we can both play it.

I'm done debating the topic, because clearly you are in the minority. If that ever changes, I'll be the first one to change my posting style. Hell, it's a lot of work, sometimes, trying to come up with a funny closing line when I'm not feeling funny. Plus, now that I have my blog up and running, I have another outlet for creativity. I can leave this board at any time and not lose any of my creative outlets.

Now, if you'd like to debate this further, let's try it WITHOUT the personal attacks and inflamatory rhetoric.

Liam, who's starting to realize that you don't really care, you just like stirring up the hornet's nest.

Last edited by Liam1965 on Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Liam1965

Post by Liam1965 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:34 pm

Anonymous wrote:and yes it is an Anonymous post because my comments will not be received with an open mind sadly to say and insults have been flung before.
Insults like implying this whole thread was just created to stroke my ego, you mean?

If you can't take the insults, don't throw them. I don't have any problem with your being anonymous here, because I *ASKED* people to be.

Liam, really starting to wonder how many neurons you actually have firing.