Storms Power Outages

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
palerider

Re: Storms Power Outages

Post by palerider » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:36 pm

Stormynights wrote:
palerider wrote:
xxyzx wrote:you cant just jump wire any old battery to the device with some zip cord and expect it to work reliably
that's all it takes for a respironics system one...
How do you do that? I have sat up all night several times when the power was off. What do I need to get to do that?
It depends on which machine you have:

if it's a system 50 series, you need this:

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/respir ... -cord.html

if a 60 series, this:

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/dc-pow ... hines.html

the only "special" thing that either of them have is the right size plug.

you could use a couple alligator clips, some wire, and the right plug for the back of your 60 series (or m series, for that matter, without the humidifier) cap'n loki has a good thread on it that he can point you to.

now, the dreamstation requires a bit more circuitry in the cable, not just a plain wire, as do Resmed S9 and air10 machines.

Last edited by palerider on Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get OSCAR

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:26 pm

Thank you-you cute little devil. That is good to know. I get scared to try to sleep with no machine or oxygen. I can get my son to get this set up for me. I am supposed to go to the top of the repair lift for outages but who knows if that will really help?

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:28 pm

Stormynights wrote:Thank you-you cute little devil. That is good to know. I get scared to try to sleep with no machine or oxygen. I can get my son to get this set up for me. I am supposed to go to the top of the repair lift for outages but who knows if that will really help?
I think for that to work you have to move next door to a power company ex. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:48 pm

Stormynights wrote:Thank you-you cute little devil. That is good to know. I get scared to try to sleep with no machine or oxygen. I can get my son to get this set up for me. I am supposed to go to the top of the repair lift for outages but who knows if that will really help?
Cap'n loki has a really nice post with details about how to get the most hours for the least $ for batteries and equipment:

viewtopic/t114012/Choosing-a-Battery.html

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

CapnLoki

Post by CapnLoki » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:33 am

xxyzx wrote:
the approval is the correct cable and connector and a battery type and AH that is appropriate

you cant just jump wire any old battery to the device with some zip cord and expect it to work reliably
Obviously you need an appropriate battery and wiring. However, the only detailed write up I've seen is:
http://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/ ... lo_eng.pdf
that we've linked to many times. It does a good job of detailing the power use of the ResMed line (Respironics is similar, if not more efficient) but they make a major blunder in showing an alligator clip connection to a battery. Although this is very standard for temporary connections, like jump starting, a medical device being used all night deserves better. The connection should be screwed on, the the terminals protected, either with "boots" or a battery box.

And what's wrong with zip cord? This usually refers to 18 gauge lamp cord, which is certainly enough for short runs. Wire is cheap, though, so I usually go up a size or two, if only to make the connections more robust.

The link in my signature points to much info on this. Included are various battery sizes and links to pre-made wiring. It has my approval.

Additional Comments: Pressure 9-20, average ~9.5; often use battery power while off-grid
Hark, how hard he fetches breath . . .  Act II, Scene IV, King Henry IV Part I, William Shakespeare
Choosing a Battery thread: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t1140 ... ttery.html

K5MOW

Post by K5MOW » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:35 am

I bought a back up CPAP battery from CPAP.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Moderate to Severe Sleep Apnea

Airsense 10 Autoset AirStart 10 CPAP

Mirage Quattro Full Face Mask

Roger

CapnLoki

Post by CapnLoki » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:02 am

xxyzx wrote:
bwexler wrote: ----------
I use an UPS exactly like the one I use on my computer. I haven't tested it yet to see if it will last all night, but mine is big enough that my ASV machine barely moves the load indicator. So it should last 5 or 10 times the 45 minute full load rating. Mine wasn't cheap but it does provide pure sine wave power at 120 volts regardless of what might or might not be coming out of the wall at the moment.
=============

you are using a square wave hoping they filter it enough to not mess up the workings of the motor and electronics,
unless you really did find one with pure sine wave and paid up the wazoolie for it. i have seen a couple that had some filtering but never a pure sine wave.

it is unlikely a ups will last the night unless you got a truly massive sized one.
The is no problem using a square wave with modern "power brick" cpaps. Even the ResMed documentation says this.

If you don't use humidity, a small UPS (550 Watt) using a 7 AH might get you through night. A big 1500 Watt UPS (about $300) will have 24 AH of battery. The big problem with these UPS's is that they run through an inverter, so they need almost double the battery size. They do a good job for short periods, but for full nights you need more power.

Additional Comments: Pressure 9-20, average ~9.5; often use battery power while off-grid
Hark, how hard he fetches breath . . .  Act II, Scene IV, King Henry IV Part I, William Shakespeare
Choosing a Battery thread: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t1140 ... ttery.html

pappey

Post by pappey » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:14 am

CapnLoki wrote: The connection should be screwed on, the the terminals protected, either with "boots" or a battery box.
So then use a battery jump starter. Mine has a DC Power Receptacle aka "Cigarette Plug Receptacle" to plug in to and comes already in a box with a built in charger. Some of the newer ones also have a USB port for your cell phone and other toys and come with a built in meter so you can tell the charge level. It is truly Plug n' Play.

For me it was an "ALL-in-One" off the shelf solution. The only other thing I needed was the correct DC cord for my cpap = Done.
O just be sure to charge before and after using.

PS. Some also have an air compressor for inflating your tires or the grandkids air toys.
So besides the air compressor mine also has
2 DC Power Recptacles
2 AC outlets
USB
LED Meter
Built in charger
Comes already assembled in a case with a carry handle.
and a 22 Ah battery - this is where size is important = BIGGER is better but also heavier
Oh and a warranty.

CapnLoki

Post by CapnLoki » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:42 am

Stormy,
I'm surprised you've been around so long and haven't noticed my posts. As PR says, there's a lot of info at the link. Here's a short version:
Since you have a ResMed S9, you'll need the ResMed DC converter, $85. A 35 Amp-hour scooter battery is a good choice, $65. A BatteryTender charger will keep it topped up, and comes with most of the cables, $25-50, depending on size. Add about $20 for a box and cigarette socket cable and you have a backup system. The 35 AH battery will cover one night and a bit more with humidity, 5 nights without. Total cost around $200. The required ResMed cable can also power a cpap from a car or boat outlet, or a "jump starter."

If you need to also run Oxygen, we'll have to see the power requirements of the generator.

EDIT: I just noticed you use an S9 ASV. This has higher power needs - the 35 AH will still cover a night but with humidity you'll probably need a larger battery. Still doable, just a few more pounds and bucks.

Last edited by CapnLoki on Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

CapnLoki

Post by CapnLoki » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:49 am

pappey wrote:So then use a battery jump starter. Mine has a DC Power Receptacle aka "Cigarette Plug Receptacle" to plug in to and comes already in a box with a built in charger. Some of the newer ones also have a USB port for your cell phone and other toys and come with a built in meter so you can tell the charge level. It is truly Plug n' Play.
So what model do you have?

22 AH is certainly better than the 7 AH UPS's often have, but its not a lot if you need humidity. Most of these devices have 18 AH batteries, so one would be wise to read the specs and manual closely before buying.

klv329

Post by klv329 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:21 am

For the resmeds....

Here's the s9 DC converter, comes with the color coded alligator clips /cigarette socket for $85....

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/DC-Con ... hines.html

Pretty sure I use this 12v battery tender..

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Battery-Tend ... A/15779498

Then I have a 55ah agm battery and a deep cycle marine battery 10A/2A charger to charge the battery back up quickly before putting the battery back on the tender.

The DC converter for the Airsense/Air curve 10 is different from the S9, so if you are looking to upgrade to the A10 series you will need an A10 converter for about $85.

Cigarette socket extension cords come in handy and are cheap, if you want the battery a little farther away from you, although the resmed DC converter cord is pretty long.

Solar charging panels next....the power outages have been short around me for the past 12 years, but anything could happen...