SPREADING AN IDEA THAT WILL HELP ALL CPAP USERS

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ATTENTION EVERYONE I NEED YOUR HELP

SPREADING AN IDEA THAT WILL HELP ALL CPAP USERS

Post by ATTENTION EVERYONE I NEED YOUR HELP » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:14 am

Dear CPAP users and CPAP designers,

I have a great idea for an improvement to all CPAP machines. I do not want credit for the idea. I do NOT want money for the idea. It is yours. All I want is to be the first person to be able to use it.

The idea is actually quite simple and uses existing technology and solves an important problem.

The problem: You are aware that it is very important for people with sleep apnea like me to use their CPAP machines every night due to the health problems and car accidents caused by driving sleepy.

You are also aware that people with sleep apnea do not “go” to sleep. That is they do not always have the time to go to bed, turn off the lights and put on their CPAP machine.

The reason why is because people like myself “fall” asleep. In other words, they may be watching TV one second and be asleep the next. I have actually be in my recliner watching TV in the evening, take a drink of water, set the glass down and before I swallow the water, I have fallen asleep. I know this because I have done so and once asleep my jaw muscles relax and the water pours down my chest waking me up!

I asked my wife if this happens to her because she also has sleep apnea and she told me that half the time she falls asleep without the CPAP and then wakes up around 1 am and puts it on.

The easy solution: I happen to have fibromyalgia and I take pain pills. Along with vitamins, and preventative medicines, vitamins etc. I take a large number of pills. I discovered a device called MedCenter (Available from Amazon) which is a series of pill holders and most importantly a clock that loudly reminds you to take your pills. The voice on the clock is loud enough to wake you up.

So I thought why not use the clock to make sure you put on your CPAP just like it reminds you to take your pills! Not the same clock of course, but a modification of it that comes with your CPAP.

“All” you need to do is to make modifications to the clock which is sitting on a tray added to the end of your CPAP machine!

Let’s say that I want to fall asleep around 10 pm but I want to wake up at 7 am. I set that information into the clock. I also set the clock to check me every 15 minutes or every half hour or every hour to see if I both have my CPAP machine on and that I have the mask on. Let’s say I set it for every hour. So from 10 pm to 7 am it will check to see if they two conditions are met.

Now let’s say that I “fall asleep at 10:10 pm without putting my CPAP on. The clock says in loud but polite female voice, “Please put on your CPAP mask.” And she continues to say it until I either push the red button on top. After another hour minutes it checks to see if I have my CPAP mask on AND that the CPAP machine is turned on. (I can’t tell you how many times I have woken up with the mask on but I fell asleep without turning the machine on!)

The only thing the clock needs to “know” is if the CPAP machine on during the time period that I want to go to sleep and the time I want to wake up. When the clock is set into the tray it is automatically plugged into a wire connecting the clock to the CPAP machine.

Certainly the clock can easily tell if the CPAP is turned off or on. If you fall asleep with the mask on without turning the CPAP machine on a voice says in a loud but polite voice, “Please turn on your CPAP machine on.”

Let’s say you turn on your CPAP machine but you forget to put the mask on. A pressure sensor in the machine will tell if the pressure is constant (ie. you do not have your mask on) or the pressure is fluctuating (you have the mask on) which will tell the clock electronically if the mask is on the user.

I have my little idea Photoshoped of what it might look like on my CPAP in its little tray but I'm not sure how to post it here. Of course you will probably make it to be styled so that it looks like a continuous part of the CPAP machine.

I don’t think there is any chance of stepping on the MedCenter copyright. You are just using the concept for another purpose. (I’m sure your copyright lawyers can answer that better than me.)

Well you now have an easy way to solve a very important problem faced by all of your CPAP users. Again I want nothing for this information but to beta test the device. I am worried about my health and how many years that are taken off my life because I “fall” asleep and only use my CPAP machine about half the time even though I want to use it ALL of the time.

Please share this information anywhere a CPAP designer might find it. If you have an idea for improvement that you don't want to copyright or get money for I would like too hear it. If this already exists please tell me where to find it.

Sincerely,
Grandpa Patrick
July 8, 2017

ChicagoGranny

Re: SPREADING AN IDEA THAT WILL HELP ALL CPAP USERS

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:49 am

ATTENTION EVERYONE I NEED YOUR HELP wrote:If this already exists please tell me where to find it.
We have smartphones. Just set the timer on the phone for 15 minutes. When you finally do go to bed, turn the timer off.

GrandpapaPatrick

Post by GrandpapaPatrick » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:31 am

Dear Chicago Granny
Well that would work if I had a cell phone (which I don't) and if I could be disciplined to make sure that I had the mask on AND the CPAP on before I turned the alarm off. I'm not sure I am that disciplined when I am very sleepy. Also if you wake up in the middle of the night you have to be lucid enough in your groggy middle of the night state to set another alarm even if you plan on going right to bed. Remember I can get into bed planning on putting my mask on but fall asleep before I get it on. I don't think in a very sleepy state that I could remember to do all that. With the clock I describe I don't have to do any of that. Also my wife may have an old phone but she can only separate the ring series 10 minutes apart. You might want it to be 1 hour apart if you are reading a book or watching TV. Make sense?

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:35 am

I've been using XPAP for 12 years, never FORGOT to put it on. It only takes 45 seconds on a bad day! Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:51 am

I watch TV...When I am ready to go to sleep, off goes the TV...on goes the mask. If you are that tired while watching TV, put on your mask and turn on the machine while you are watching.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:24 pm

Nothing fancy required, just DISCIPLINE and HABIT.
If you goof up, IMMEDIATELY rectify the situation.
This works for most of us.
Easy, peasy.
Just put on your grandpa pants and man up.
If your mental abilities are declining to the point that you are unable to take care of yourself---DON'T!
Get help. That is what they do.

GrandpapaPatrick

Post by GrandpapaPatrick » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:38 pm

Gee everyone,
Thank you for your sympathy and moral support! It looks like I came to the wrong forum!

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:41 pm

GrandpapaPatrick wrote:Dear Chicago Granny
Well that would work if I had a cell phone (which I don't) and if I could be disciplined to make sure that I had the mask on AND the CPAP on before I turned the alarm off. I'm not sure I am that disciplined when I am very sleepy. Also if you wake up in the middle of the night you have to be lucid enough in your groggy middle of the night state to set another alarm even if you plan on going right to bed. Remember I can get into bed planning on putting my mask on but fall asleep before I get it on. I don't think in a very sleepy state that I could remember to do all that. With the clock I describe I don't have to do any of that. Also my wife may have an old phone but she can only separate the ring series 10 minutes apart. You might want it to be 1 hour apart if you are reading a book or watching TV. Make sense?
if you're that sleepy, you aren't getting treated effectively.

also, just put the mask on before you get into bed.

your idea won't help MOST cpap users... so your title is wrong.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:43 pm

GrandpapaPatrick wrote:Gee everyone,
Thank you for your sympathy and moral support! It looks like I came to the wrong forum!
we're here to help you optimize your therapy, so that you're not passing out with mouthfulls of water anymore.

we're not here to say "thumbs up" to band-aid ideas.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Hang Fire

Post by Hang Fire » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:47 pm

GrandpapaPatrick wrote: It looks like I came to the wrong forum!
Yes, you came to the wrong forum. Look for one that is supportive of stupid ideas.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:51 pm

GrandpapaPatrick wrote:Gee everyone,
Maybe just the wrong attitude. I was glad to see your Cap Lock Key became unstuck. Around here we are less inclined to go with can't than we are with do. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

GrandpapaPatrick

Post by GrandpapaPatrick » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:52 pm

I have never met such a group of demoralizing people as you.
You are obviously perfect. Where is the forum with real people
who make mistakes? I cannot believe the comments!

My situation like everyone's is special and unique.
How many of you have taken a drink of water and fallen
asleep before you have a chance to swallow it!

Maybe you don't have the problems I do but you have
no reason to treat me that way. Is this the level of sympathy
and understanding that I'm going to get here?

I was just asking for a little help in spreading my idea.
Try obeying my mother's motto: "If you don't have anything
nice to say, don't say anything at all. If your lives are sad
that all you have to do with your lives is to razz on someone
else then maybe you should start praying for a change of
attitude.

God bless,

Grandpapatrick

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:53 pm

GrandpapaPatrick wrote:Dear Chicago Granny
... Make sense?
No.

You really should hang around here and get help optimizing your CPAP therapy so you are not so sleepy and don't wake up "groggy".

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:55 pm

... and aren't so easily offended.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:56 pm

"band-aid ideas" --not a good medical scenario.
Rube Goldberg schemes seem charming--but for emtertainment purposes only.
If you actually NEED this much help with your memory, please SEE A DOCTOR!
You may need supplemental oxygen to achieve full brain function.
Your declining memory may benefit from one of the new meds.