Help Please

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ameadows

Help Please

Post by ameadows » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:02 am

I am new to the CPAP community, just got my machine 2 weeks ago. I HATE it. I started with just a nose mask, and feel like I am suffocating. I got a full face mask, I can breath, but can't sleep. I sleep on my stomach, and it's too bulky for that. It causes leaks and isn't comfortable. I thought about maybe trying the nose pillows, but I'm thinking it would be the same thing as with the nose mask. I don't want to give up, but I'm not getting much use right now. I take it off after a couple hours. Any Suggestions??

ChicagoGranny

Re: Help Please

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:38 am

ameadows wrote:Any Suggestions??
When you get a chance, register for the forum and fill out your equipment profile - https://www.cpaptalk.com/ucp.php?i=prof ... pment_info

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ameadows wrote:I sleep on my stomach
Here is a description of the proper way to sleep on the stomach while wearing a CPAP mask - http://www.uarsrelief.com/sleeppositions.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ameadows wrote:I started with just a nose mask, and feel like I am suffocating.
What are your pressure settings? Your minimum pressure may be set too low.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ameadows wrote: I HATE it.
Now that you are here, be patient. There are some very good people here who can help you work through the problems. It may take a little time.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:43 pm

ameadows, It's best to ignore xyzzz boy. He's just a troll that spews useless advice all over the forum.

robysue

Post by robysue » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:36 pm

ameadows,

I am sorry to hear about your problems.

You write:
ameadows wrote:I am new to the CPAP community, just got my machine 2 weeks ago. I HATE it. I started with just a nose mask, and feel like I am suffocating. I got a full face mask, I can breath, but can't sleep.
Can you clarify what you mean by feeling like you are suffocating. New CPAP users often use this language to describe two very different problems with very different solutions.

Do you mean:

A) Not enough air is coming through the mask for you to inhale comfortably and fully when you are awake and trying to get to sleep.

OR

B) Too much air is coming through the mask for you to exhale fully and/or you feel as though the machine is forcing you to inhale before you are ready to.

Once we know which "suffocating" feeling you are experiencing, we'll be able to help.

You also say:
I sleep on my stomach, and it's too bulky for that. It causes leaks and isn't comfortable. I thought about maybe trying the nose pillows, but I'm thinking it would be the same thing as with the nose mask. I don't want to give up, but I'm not getting much use right now. I take it off after a couple hours. Any Suggestions??
As difficult as it is for you to believe, there are a lot of people who CPAP and sleep on their stomachs without much leaking. (My hubby is one of them.)

A good suggestion for learning how to sleep on your stomach with CPAP is to google the phrase "Falcon sleeping position." It's a CPAP-friendly, stomach sleeping position.

Here's what it looks like with a full face CPAP mask on the sleeper:
ImageImage

Good luck!

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:10 pm

And for someone who's hardly even had a taste of Cpap at all, you're the biggest, most ignorant blowhard we've ever had here.

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:14 pm

xxyzx wrote:
Julie wrote:And for someone who's hardly even had a taste of Cpap at all, you're the biggest, most ignorant blowhard we've ever had here.
=========
=========
more logical fallacies from the head libtard troll

you have never posted one fact just opinions

I realise people like you have to keep insulting others to help your tiny little mind cope with reality
so sticks and stones

if it makes you feel better i dont give a rats patootie what you say
and keep dissing me with your erroneous worthless opinions because we all know you have nothing with a factual basis to say[/quote
]
Julie you hit the nail on the head.. you are soooo right!!!!

XYZZ just aptly described himself to a T, how to open your mouth and stick your foot in.... make that BOTH feet! His tiny little mind indeed!
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

ajack

Post by ajack » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:59 pm

robysue wrote:ameadows,]

A good suggestion for learning how to sleep on your stomach with CPAP is to google the phrase "Falcon sleeping position." It's a CPAP-friendly, stomach sleeping position.

Here's what it looks like with a full face CPAP mask on the sleeper:
ImageImage

Good luck!
I use the above with a slight variation. I have the pillow at a 45 deg, angle with my head on it and the rest of the pillow going under my arm and chest

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:21 pm

[
Julie you hit the nail on the head.. you are soooo right!!!!

XYZZ just aptly described himself to a T, how to open your mouth and stick your foot in.... make that BOTH feet! His tiny little mind indeed! [/quote]
=============

typical libtard response

you need to stop looking in a mirror and wishing it were i[/quote]

Xyzx: If I thought I was ever anything like you, I would bloody well shoot myself. Anyone that loves themselves as much as you do, should have been shot long before now.
Your favorite thing to do is call everyone nasty names, obviously your mother never taught you how to get along with others and she never washed your mouth out with soap for using such profanities.

PS to the original poster, I sleep exactly the way the pictures have been shown. I just hang my mask over the edge of the pillow and have slept this way for the past seven years of therapy.
Good luck
Nan
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

ameadows

Post by ameadows » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:32 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
ameadows wrote:Any Suggestions??
When you get a chance, register for the forum and fill out your equipment profile - https://www.cpaptalk.com/ucp.php?i=prof ... pment_info

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ameadows wrote:I sleep on my stomach
Here is a description of the proper way to sleep on the stomach while wearing a CPAP mask - http://www.uarsrelief.com/sleeppositions.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ameadows wrote:I started with just a nose mask, and feel like I am suffocating.
What are your pressure settings? Your minimum pressure may be set too low.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ameadows wrote: I HATE it.
Now that you are here, be patient. There are some very good people here who can help you work through the problems. It may take a little time.

I finally got approved as a member, and I have updated my profile with my equipment. I also have a humidifier and heated cord, but no clue what brand. My pressure changes from 5.0-15.0 depending on how much I need. When I say I feel like i am suffocating, I mean I'm not getting enough air...like I am breathing into a bag or something. I feel like I need oxygen.

ameadows

Post by ameadows » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:35 pm

Can you clarify what you mean by feeling like you are suffocating. New CPAP users often use this language to describe two very different problems with very different solutions.

Do you mean:

A) Not enough air is coming through the mask for you to inhale comfortably and fully when you are awake and trying to get to sleep.

OR

B) Too much air is coming through the mask for you to exhale fully and/or you feel as though the machine is forcing you to inhale before you are ready to.

Once we know which "suffocating" feeling you are experiencing, we'll be able to help.

I feel like I don't have enough air coming through, or 'recycled' air...like I am breathing in a paper bag. If that makes sense.

ameadows

Post by ameadows » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:36 pm

Do you mean:

OR

I feel like I don't have enough air coming through, or 'recycled' air...like I am breathing in a paper bag. If that makes sense.

ameadows

Post by ameadows » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:39 pm

ameadows wrote:Can you clarify what you mean by feeling like you are suffocating. New CPAP users often use this language to describe two very different problems with very different solutions.

Do you mean:

OR

I finally got approved as a member, and I have updated my profile with my equipment. I also have a humidifier and heated cord, but no clue what brand. My pressure changes from 5.0-15.0 depending on how much I need. When I say I feel like i am suffocating, I mean I'm not getting enough air...like I am breathing into a bag or something. I feel like I need oxygen.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:36 am

ameadows wrote:

Many people feel that 5 is too low and causes the feeling of suffocation. I recommend your raise your minimum pressure to 6 or 7. That should be enough to feel like you are getting good airflow.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:03 am

Do you have enough air to inhale fully (I suspect that's the problem and understandable because your min. pressure setting of 5 is so low). Do you know how to raise that setting (the max at 15 is probably fine as it is)? If not we can walk you through doing that, probably to about 7 or so from 5.

Your machine make and model did not come through on your profile - some don't (not your fault) but can you just type the name and model into your next note for now so we have it to go by?

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:02 pm

zoocrewphoto wrote: I recommend your raise your minimum pressure to 6 or 7.
ameadows, I agree with this. Anything below 7 causes the same feeling in me that you are experiencing - "just not enough air". I would change the minimum pressure to 7. Do you know how to do that?

(BTW, I would recommend you ignore the posts of xxxyzzzz. He gives bad advice and has never been able to get his own CPAP therapy working well, much less help anyone else.)