Help Please

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ChicagoGranny

Re: Help Please

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:05 pm

ameadows wrote:I have updated my profile with my equipment
You did not get the machine info in the equipment profile.

robysue

Post by robysue » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:12 pm

ameadows wrote: I feel like I don't have enough air coming through, or 'recycled' air...like I am breathing in a paper bag. If that makes sense.
In that case, increasing the minimum pressure setting and not using the ramp should help tremendously.

jagzoo

Post by jagzoo » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:03 pm

+1
Agreed - Try increasing your minimum pressure.

And hang in there!

gaminiw9

Post by gaminiw9 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:39 am

robysue wrote:
ameadows wrote: I feel like I don't have enough air coming through, or 'recycled' air...like I am breathing in a paper bag. If that makes sense.
In that case, increasing the minimum pressure setting and not using the ramp should help tremendously.
I thought of joining the conversation as it is very much related to my problem with the Resmed airsense auto machine. However my problem is at the opposite end of the spectrum. My problem is I am having too much air pressure at the highest end when the mask starts vibrating and air leaking. Would it be possible to adjust the upper level to bring it down say from 16 to 10 or 11?

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:47 am

gaminiw9 wrote:
robysue wrote:
I thought of joining the conversation as it is very much related to my problem with the Resmed airsense auto machine. However my problem is at the opposite end of the spectrum. My problem is I am having too much air pressure at the highest end when the mask starts vibrating and air leaking. Would it be possible to adjust the upper level to bring it down say from 16 to 10 or 11?
You can bring it down to a comfortable level. But then monitor the data. If it isn't enough to prevent events, it will eventually need to go up. But lowering it for awhile could help you get use to it. And it sometimes people find they can get by on a lower max than what was originally set. Sometimes, even raising the minimum will help it not want to go as high later. But I think the first step would be to lower the max a little and see what the data looks like.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

robysue

Post by robysue » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:02 am

gaminiw9 wrote:
robysue wrote:
As others have pointed out, lowering the maximum pressure can be done through the clinical menu. I see you have started your own thread about this, and people there have posted the information you need about lowering the max pressure over there.

Another thing that can help is to make sure that your machine's exhalation relief system is turned on.

Also, there's nothing wrong with turning the machine OFF and then back ON in the middle of the night. On an APAP, the machine will restart with the pressure at your minimum pressure setting. If you typically use the ramp at the beginning of the night AND you are using a PR machine, you also have the option to just hit the ramp button, which will lower the pressure down to your starting ramp pressure and restart the ramp period.

And finally, as counter-intuitive as it sounds, it's worth considering increasing both the starting ramp pressure (if you use the ramp) and the min pressure settings by 1cm if you have no problems tolerating a bit more pressure at the bottom end of the range. A higher min pressure often means that there are fewer events that happen, and hence the machine has less reason to raise the pressure in the first place. A higher starting ramp pressure usually means that the mask seal will be a bit more robust once the pressure increases up to the top end of your auto range.

ameadows

Post by ameadows » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:12 am

I added my Machine type in the 'notes section'. It should be displayed now. I tried raising my lower setting to 7.0 last night. It didn't seem to make a difference with my nose mask, had to switch back to my full face mask again. Which I still hate, ugh. I've only successfully made it thought the night 2x since I've had my machine. i was thinking of trying the nose pillows, but doubt it would be much different then the nose mask.

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:19 am

While you raised your min. pressure to 7, you also used the nasal mask and may have had major leaks... can you try again at 7 or 8 but with the FFM (which can be changed to a more comfortable FFM in future) so we can get an accurate feel for the results?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:19 am

How did you end up with the ResMed S8 Advantage since you just got your machine 2 weeks ago? That machine was discontinued in 2010.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.