New here. Used CPAP for first time last night.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
lauriesap

Re: New here. Used CPAP for first time last night.

Post by lauriesap » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:39 pm

I have this machine also and it's set to Autopap. My pressure starts at the minimum which is 4. I has gone up to 5,6 or 7 through the night.

I downloaded the app on my ipad and connect through Bluetooth but it was very tricky and honestly the data is the same as on the machine itself.

You push in the button/knob to "click" then "click" again on "My Info" and then turn the knob to see the various metrics.

it will show you Mask Fit % which should be as close to 100% as possible.
Periodic breathing should be a low percentage like 0%.
AHI should be under 5 (for minimal or nothing) meaning it's doing what it is supposed to be, preventing you from having an apnea during the night. if this number is still high, then I would contact the doctor.

using the controls on the machine each morning is the easiest. the doctor can get access to your machine through the modem/remote connection or you can bring the machine in and they can read the data off of the memory card.

I've been on the machine since June 14 and had excellent result from the 1st night (AHI 3.4 and 0% periodic breathing, 100% mask fit) so your result is not sounding good to me. you definitely want to make sure you're set up properly and on the right pressure.

Laurie

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:29 pm

lauriesap wrote:I have this machine also and it's set to Autopap. My pressure starts at the minimum which is 4. I has gone up to 5,6 or 7 through the night.

I downloaded the app on my ipad and connect through Bluetooth but it was very tricky and honestly the data is the same as on the machine itself.

You push in the button/knob to "click" then "click" again on "My Info" and then turn the knob to see the various metrics.

it will show you Mask Fit % which should be as close to 100% as possible.
Periodic breathing should be a low percentage like 0%.
AHI should be under 5 (for minimal or nothing) meaning it's doing what it is supposed to be, preventing you from having an apnea during the night. if this number is still high, then I would contact the doctor.

using the controls on the machine each morning is the easiest. the doctor can get access to your machine through the modem/remote connection or you can bring the machine in and they can read the data off of the memory card.

I've been on the machine since June 14 and had excellent result from the 1st night (AHI 3.4 and 0% periodic breathing, 100% mask fit) so your result is not sounding good to me. you definitely want to make sure you're set up properly and on the right pressure.

Laurie
Ever an AHI of 4-5 means that you stopped breathing 25-40 time during the night....not great!

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:07 pm

I have the exact same machine. It’s my fourth machine since 1999; the others were all “bricks.”

Here's my review of the machine, the good and the bad.

Advantages:
• Automatic means that it will raise the pressure as needed when it senses distress. I think I fell more refreshed than before.
• Good statistics are generated, so you can see how you slept, and make adjustments as needed. In addition, stats are good for your doctor to see how you are doing.
• Machine is very quiet.
• Heated hose is very good, never had rainout despite full setting on humidity.
• Automatic altitude adjustment (good for travel).
• Leak compensation.
• Auto/on and auto/off can be activated and deactivated separately.
• Humidifier is fully integrated, but detachable. It can be replaced/repaired independently of the main unit. It can also be left behind to save space (if you can live without the humidification).
• Humidifier chamber is wide open on top, making it easy to fill. The unit is sealed when the door over the chamber is closed.
• Puts out the prescribed pressure more precisely than my old machine (yes, I verified this).

Disadvantages:
• Machine is a bit larger than the major competing machine.
• Sometimes, there is a burning smell, especially after a potty break. I’m pretty sure it’s harmless.
• Frequently, the water does not last the whole night. I generally wake up at least once overnight, so I refill it at that time. This might not work for everybody.
• Some have complained about the brightness of the display when you turn it off and back on, such as for a potty break. I don’t find this a problem. In fact, I use the light to reattach my mask to the hose.
• The “full” line on the water tank is hard to see.
• The machine is somewhat noisier when used without the humidifier attached.
• The power cord has a proprietary signal, so you cannot use a different cord, even if the voltage, wattage, amperage, and fitting are all identical. This means that if you need a replacement cord (or a spare cord), you have to get the cord specific to Dream Stations. If you want to use a battery (such as for camping and electrical outages), you have to buy an $80 proprietary device to generate this signal.

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:54 am

Newbie...3rd night on CPAP.

Changed pressure last night from 11 to 12.

AHI was 8.5

Total central apneas: 12
Total obstructive apneas: 35
Total hypopneas: 46

Hypopneas went up from 1st night (22) and 2nd night (28).

CA and OA were down. 1st night CA 31 and 2nd night CA 19. 1st night OA 57. 2nd night OA 47.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for reading and any input.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:20 am

Without seeing the software reports and going by what appears to be DreamMapper stats....probably another increase in pressure.
You have a DreamStation machine made by Respironics...is that correct? Exactly which model? If unsure what is the model number (found on the bottom of the blower I think with DSX in front of 3 digits (and probably followed by 3 letters) and it's the 3 digits that is important if preceded by DSX.
Depending on the model DreamStation...there is additional details available with using available software.

If the 3 digits are 400 or higher you can use SleepyHead or Encore.
See here
https://sleep.tnet.com/equipment

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.