Pregnant and back sleeping

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
WindyCityEsq

Pregnant and back sleeping

Post by WindyCityEsq » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:32 pm

I just learned that pregnant women are supposed to sleep on their left side. I have been CPAPing for years now, and my machine is titrated to 19 for sleep on my back. I've gotten used to back sleeping and if I sleep on my side (rolling over by accident) I have painful aerophagia in the a.m. Should I continue to sleep on my back or should I sleep on my side?

*Christina

Julie

Re: Pregnant and back sleeping

Post by Julie » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:46 pm

Hi, not sure why you were back sleeping to begin with - it provokes the most apneas and most make a real effort to not do it (preggars or not), but you might want to do a forum search on aerophagia for hints to help yours... one is to lower your min. pressure by 1-2 cms as it does help a lot of people, though keep an eye on your numbers and how you feel otherwise.

WindyCityEsq

Post by WindyCityEsq » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:49 pm

My doctor titrated me for back sleeping, so that's why I've been sleeping on my back. He said that I'll have less mask issues if I back sleep, and so long as it's titrated for back sleeping, I shouldn't have any more apnea.

Maybe I should get another sleep study, this one done for side sleeping?

*Christina

WindyCityEsq

Post by WindyCityEsq » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:50 pm

I can't slower my titration level on my machine. Only my Dr can do that

*Christina

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:33 pm

Not true; some here may be more explicit, by saying "bullfeathers", but your provider is not always right.
Many have self-titrated--easiest with an autocpap.
I did it myself--and found that I had been given too much pressure.

kteague

Post by kteague » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:00 pm

Consider that if you were to side sleep you MIGHT need less pressure and the air in the belly might not be such an issue. Sounds like a win-win.

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:17 pm

We all change our pressures routinely... don't fall for that old, sad paternalistic c..p!

tooter

Post by tooter » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:22 pm

WindyCityEsq wrote:I can't slower my titration level on my machine. Only my Dr can do that
It takes about 60 seconds.. What machine are you using?
Last edited by tooter on Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fixed pressure at 11

tooter

Post by tooter » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:25 pm

xxyzx wrote:
WindyCityEsq wrote:My doctor titrated me for back sleeping, so that's why I've been sleeping on my back. He said that I'll have less mask issues if I back sleep, and so long as it's titrated for back sleeping, I shouldn't have any more apnea.

Maybe I should get another sleep study, this one done for side sleeping?
============

cheaper to get an auto pap or just start lowering the pressure on the current one
auto is far better as your needs change constantly for many reasons
Did she say what machine she is using or what pressure she is at? Maybe I missed that.
Fixed pressure at 11

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:34 pm

Didn't give machine name, only S9 humidifier... and pressures are in the notes.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:21 pm

WindyCityEsq wrote:I can't slower my titration level on my machine. Only my Dr can do that
that's what they all say, and they're all wrong.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Soothest Sleep

Post by Soothest Sleep » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:32 pm

Christina,

You can edit your Equipment Profile (User Control Panel) to add your machine maker, model name and model number in the Additional Comments box, if there is no listing in the drop-down menus (or put it in your Signature). That information will help the knowledgeable ones here to advise you further regarding pressure settings, and the like.

In the meantime, if you are concerned about the side-sleeping while pregnant, there is a "middle ground" you could try: prop the right side of your body on a body pillow (or king-size pillow) positioned lengthwise parallel to your body. You can still adopt a partly supine (on the back) position, but the pressure of your pregnant body on the blood vessels in the right side of your body will be somewhat relieved as you relax against the pillow. It is most important in the latter half of pregnancy as heavily pregnant bodies can compress those blood vessels if one lies completely on the back, and the blood flow to the fetus and mother can be compromised, which is why your doctor has recommended you sleep on your side. It's already awkward shifting a pregnant body about in bed, and to add the cpap adds another layer of awkwardness! (sheesh, eh?!)

With the pillow prop, you may not have to adjust your pressures too much from what you are used to; others will advise you if you provide details about your results if you try the pillow.

You may find it more comfortable to try full side sleeping for apnea/cpap benefits after the baby arrives, when your body feels more like your own again.
Best wishes to you,
Jean
O soft embalmer of the still midnight,
Shutting, with careful fingers and benign,
Our gloom-pleas'd eyes, embower'd from the light,
Enshaded in forgetfulness divine
-- John Keats

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:21 am

In the equipment profile...she's using the S9 humidifier and that means the S9 blower and since the S9 blowers have been replaced by the AirSense 10 models the links from the equipment menu for machine that have been discontinued won't show up...
I bet she had the model chosen but it doesn't show up because the link is broken.

She needs to add the S9 blower model name to the comments section.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

WindyCityEsq

Post by WindyCityEsq » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:49 pm

Hi all,

I have the S9 autoset machine. I hadnt logged onto this site in a long time, so even though I had my machine specs filled out, the links were discontinued, so my machine wasn't showing up for you all to see.

My insurance wouldnt authorize a new sleep study while pregnant to titrate me for side sleeping. They denied it. So I ended up doing the side/back combination a previous poster recommended. I still occasionally woke up with aerophagia, but it wasn't as bad as it was when I straight up side slept. I never figured out how to change my titration level. Even though i have an autoset, its set to a fixed 19.

I am waiting for my cpap dr appt now. I'm going to ask him to reset my machine to a autoset setting so my titration fluctuates based on need. I'm also going to ask for a RX for a Respironics Dreamweaver nasal mask, bc I want to side sleep, and having the tubing come from my head will be better for me bc my baby is sleeping in a sidecar arms reach co-sleeper.

*Christina

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:53 pm

WindyCityEsq wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:49 pm
Hi all,

I have the S9 autoset machine. I hadnt logged onto this site in a long time, so even though I had my machine specs filled out, the links were discontinued, so my machine wasn't showing up for you all to see.

My insurance wouldnt authorize a new sleep study while pregnant to titrate me for side sleeping. They denied it. So I ended up doing the side/back combination a previous poster recommended. I still occasionally woke up with aerophagia, but it wasn't as bad as it was when I straight up side slept. I never figured out how to change my titration level. Even though i have an autoset, its set to a fixed 19.

I am waiting for my cpap dr appt now. I'm going to ask him to reset my machine to a autoset setting so my titration fluctuates based on need. I'm also going to ask for a RX for a Respironics Dreamweaver nasal mask, bc I want to side sleep, and having the tubing come from my head will be better for me bc my baby is sleeping in a sidecar arms reach co-sleeper.
You have an auto, just go into the clinical menu, set it to auto, set a more reasonable minimum pressure, say 10... sleep, examine the data.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.