Newbie and all the anxiety

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
lauriesap

Re: Newbie and all the anxiety

Post by lauriesap » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:07 pm

Mamajess,
Just with regard to the anxiety... I have felt the anxiety, depression, headaches and all of that stuff too. I hated that I was diagnosed with OSA. the idea that I would have to wear a very not sexy mask on my face for bed was devastating But once I faced reality, I couldn't wait to get my machine and I looked forward to the day I would get better sleep and not worrying about what was happening to my body while I sleep.

I did have a slight panic attack a few days in. I heard this is normal and happens to some people.

So I would say that what I learned is to:
a) find a mask that works for you and is comfortable, they make many more styles now than before.
b) relax, learn some relaxation techniques before bed, breathing, music, meditation, etc...
c) sit in bed watching tv or reading with the machine on before bed and allow your body to calm before going to bed. get into normal breathing rhythm, like you're not thinkingabout the machine.
d) and lastly only because I needed to... when I had the panic attack, I took a half of a anti-anxiety pill to calm down my brain. then I was fine.

once you get going, hopefully you will feel much better than you do without the machine.

mamajess

Post by mamajess » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:08 pm

Thank you all for the warm welcome and helpful tips, I appreciate it!

I was approaching full meltdown mode the last few days and this board (and finally getting approved for my dang CPAP!) has really helped me calm down. I can feel the anxiety barely holding back and I just keep telling myself, "one more day, you can hold on one more day before you lose it!" But seriously, THANK YOU for all the tips! Everything has been so overwhelming and it's so nice to know that there is a place I can go and be 'around' other people that get it! I'm sure I'll have approx one million questions tomorrow after I get the machine

mamajess

Post by mamajess » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:11 pm

kteague wrote:
mamajess wrote: ...48 minutes of oxygen dipping below 88% saturation (the doctor told me the average is about 5 minutes a night and that I need to be on oxygen at night)...
Hello and welcome. Do you have any lung issues? If not, and if the apneas are the cause of your low oxygen, it's likely to become a moot point with effective treatment. If effective treatment does not resolve the low oxygen, then you'll want other testing done.
No lung issues before getting my results the other day. I'm really hoping that number improves once I get the machine so I won't need oxygen!

dlby

Post by dlby » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:47 pm

I love the nose pillow system.
No mask.
But I am a natural nose breather. Tongue automatically goes to roof of mouth when machine is turned on.
I do not use any computer input or diagnosis.
I just learned the machine and my limitations.
Full auto but adjustable parameters.
I would go nuts with all the episodes this and the saturations that.
But that's just me.
Sleep great.
Hope you find what you need.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Soothest Sleep

Post by Soothest Sleep » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:34 pm

mamajess wrote: I just keep telling myself, "one more day, you can hold on one more day
Good attitude!

One minute at a time.
One day at a time.
One thing at a time.
On days that are "bad": tomorrow is a fresh day.

Welcome!
Jean
O soft embalmer of the still midnight,
Shutting, with careful fingers and benign,
Our gloom-pleas'd eyes, embower'd from the light,
Enshaded in forgetfulness divine
-- John Keats

lauriesap

Post by lauriesap » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:28 pm

mamajess wrote:Thank you all for the warm welcome and helpful tips, I appreciate it!

I was approaching full meltdown mode the last few days and this board (and finally getting approved for my dang CPAP!) has really helped me calm down. I can feel the anxiety barely holding back and I just keep telling myself, "one more day, you can hold on one more day before you lose it!" But seriously, THANK YOU for all the tips! Everything has been so overwhelming and it's so nice to know that there is a place I can go and be 'around' other people that get it! I'm sure I'll have approx one million questions tomorrow after I get the machine
Yeay! Good Luck! Just ask away! It is comforting to get your questions answers and fears calmed.

suzpigott

Post by suzpigott » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:19 pm

I have been on CPAP for a month (Dream Machine) and honestly, I feel like it is saving my life. I hope you feel the same after a couple of nights using it. Adapted pretty quickly to the nose pillows and love the mobility of Dream Machine mask. After only a couple of weeks, I actually started to look forward to putting on the mask and going to sleep. It's a mind set and mine is/was this machine was going to mend my heart and other organs, and the more I could breathe in that wonderful oxygen, the better I was going to feel. And it works. I'm so glad you finally have your CPAP.