Sleepyhead and my statistics

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
cookie42

Re: Sleepyhead and my statistics

Post by cookie42 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:27 pm

Over 2 years ago I was sent a machine with the "proper settings". I sent in the SD card about 45 days after the initial trial time. As far as I remember they never made any changes.
I went to my doctor on Tuesday and mentioned I had a pretty ugly report. She asked me to call Pac. Pulm.. (not sure if I can mention names) . They called me today and a new SD card is in the mail as I will send this one in.
You seem to have good advice and really know this stuff. I don't know how to change settings.
I will take your advice and now I will be able to ask valid questions to the sleep team/doctor office.
Thank you!
Jeff

Humidifier: Remstar Integrated Passover Humidifier
Mask: Mirage Quattro Full Face Mask

cookie42

Post by cookie42 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:44 pm

Pugsy,
After rereading your suggestions and questions.
Is it possible to change settings? I own the machine!
These settings were set by the company that provided it.
The break in the therapy is caused by a bathroom break or hitting the start over ramp down button because the pressure woke me up.
I love to sleep on my back but I try or start out on my side. The only way I can sleep on my back is when the pressure is high enough to open the airway. It looks like I only snore at the beginning of my sleep session.

OSA? Worse in REM? I'm not sure what that means.
Thanks again. I really appreciate your time.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:03 pm

Yes...easy to change the settings yourself. Just have to hold some button just right.
Go here and request the provider/clinical manual..it explains how to get into the clinical setup menu area and which buttons to hold just right. Easy peasy...

Your machine is a Respironics PR System One BiPap Auto...model 760 (I happen to own one of those myself)
At this website you can request the manual
About 2/3 down the page are instructions for requesting the manual via email...they will send it as an attachment.
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p ... tup-manual

You will need to request this one
Respironics PR System One 60 Series BiPAP Auto with Bi-Flex

On that same page is a little short cut guide for getting into the clinical setup menu that you can look at but go ahead and get the manual anyway....there's some information in there that is good to read and know.
cookie42 wrote: OSA? Worse in REM? I'm not sure what that means.
REM as in REM stage sleep...really deep sleep.
It's quite common for a person's OSA to be worse in REM or when we sleep on our backs. Mine is 5 times worse in REM than in non REM.
In non REM my AHI was only 12 but in REM stage sleep it was over 50. For me back sleeping doesn't really change things but REM sure does.

Same thing with back sleeping...OSA can be worse and we can need more pressure when on our backs. Sometimes we can do things to stay off our backs but we can't do anything about REM...we either have it or we don't and we really need it to complete the sleep cycles.

My thoughts about all that are just get a machine that will auto adjust and let it sort things out and sleep in whatever position you want because there's a good chance you are going to need it for REM anyway. Let the machine do its job.
Some lucky people have both...their OSA is worse in REM and on their backs. Double whammy.

In your situation I can't get a good feel for if yours is REM or not because of the wake ups. Makes it hard to judge the timing of the normal REM cycles. So I am of the opinion to just let the machine sort it out.

These machines can do a good job sorting it out but if you need more pressure it sometimes can't get to where it needs to be fast enough and we have to help it out by starting a little higher and giving it a better head start. They can't go from 6 to 12 in the blink of an eye...they go up in stages and take several minutes and by the time they get there the airway has collapsed and opened back up again and giving your machine the finger.

So yes...you can change the pressure if you so desire and are comfortable doing so.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

cookie42

Post by cookie42 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:21 pm

Great,
I have ordered the manual. I am on my way to a better day.
Thank you!