Need advice/help

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Julie

Re: Need advice/help

Post by Julie » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:13 pm

I think you'll find sleeping on your right to be less traumatic - it's a known issue for many people. I also wonder if, like many here, you might find a soft cervical collar (much smaller and not at all rigid like 'whiplash' ones) to help as it keeps your head off your chest and airway more open, it helps keep your jaw closed (if not lips) and is generally helpful to some. Just a thought. I think you do have what sound like (if mini) panic attacks and you might want to look into that further. You may or may not really have apnea, but if you feel better (or as if you're at least being treated for something vs nothing) then keep on with it.

What are your pressure settings? Too often the prescribed min. is so low (4 or 5) most can't breathe comfortably and have to strain to inhale, so bump the setting to 6 or 7. THe upper one is not as important and can be left high, at 15 or 20.

kteague

Post by kteague » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:22 am

Good to see you are experiencing some benefits to your treatment. I do hope you'll be inclined to use it at all sleep times. If your machine pressure is increasing during the night, that's a pretty good indicator of there indeed being a need for the treatment. I am one of those persons who had PVCs to the point of causing episodes of weakness nearing passing out. Haven't had one of those episodes in the years I've been on CPAP. Testing has shown I have acquired PACs too, but they are not evident to me. Always a good idea to have follow up in case these things change.

Have you been able to confirm through your machine data that your treatment is indeed therapeutic? Your mention of waking with a sense of distress makes me wonder if you are still having some events that are long enough to make you feel distressed. Although being aware in your sleep there is a leak could trigger that too. Of course reflux comes to mind. Is there any reason to think you could have an issue with jumpy legs during sleep? That can be a sleep buster.

Congratulations on making so much progress and best wishes in continuing to hone in on ways to improve your experience.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:32 am

Due to other medical conditions, I normally sleep on an adjustable bed with my head and feet raised. When we travel, I take two wedge pillows with us and use them under my upper body while sleeping. I place at least one pillow under my knees which helps relieve the pressure on my back. I found my wedge pillows at Bed Bath and Beyond.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:44 am

xxyzx wrote:
Papertrayguest wrote:Hello, i am new to the community of sleep apnea. I was recently diagnosed for sleep apnea by a home sleep study. I don't have insurance and did a home study due to costs. That said, i realize a home study isn't as good as a clinic sleep study. However that said i am somewhat skeptical on this diagnosis. Let me give a rundown and try to keep it simple and asks for advice/opinions.

(I have made an account but waiting for it to be activated posting as a guest for now)
==========

An IHT is definitive for OA

if you have other problems you may need a sleep study or other doctors tests

sounds like anxiety and stress but you need to see a doctor about the heart rate changes if you are worried as you will keep being anxious and having them
You need to check their update above, they have been on an APAP for a couple of months and are seeing some improvement. No need to go on endlessly about IHT being "definitive"
All posts reflect my own opinion based on my experience and reading.
Your mileage may vary
Past performance is no guarantee of future results
Consult with your own physician as people very

Papertray3

Post by Papertray3 » Sun May 13, 2018 10:04 pm

I want to thank everyone for the support and suggestions! I totally forgot about this thread, but i had it bookmarked. So i thought i would update again.

Since my last post things changed. I continued to struggle with sleeping even with the machine. I started having really bad palpitations and panic attacks and it would get worse and better week after week. I also started noticing i would get a racing heart beat when awakening(no movement just waking up lying still) from using the apap. So against my better judgement i stopped using the machine to see how my body would react. Well things started improving again mainly no longer having a racing heart rate upon awakening. Then i started again having good weeks and bad weeks. So i just struggled with it after racking up massive bills i almost gave up and just figured this is my new life.

Well, i am here to say i have found the answer finally!

One of the things i neglected to resolve or say even my sleep doctor didn't question me about is(i don't recall this being discussed at anytime).. I have been a mouth sleeper for quite a long time. I cannot say when it begin but its been many many years. Well with my APAP i was using full face mask and even so i was still breathing through my mouth. I bought a chin strap way back last year or so and never used it because it was horribly uncomfortable.
Well about a week ago i decided i was going to use the chin strap and make it work. I immediately noticed the next morning i felt great. I could feel that i slept properly and noticed right away my heart did not feel floppy or palpitate when i started the day. I went all day felt excellent and at no time did i feel anxiety or anything. So as the next few night passed i continued to feel better and better. In fact as i type this i can honestly say i feel as good as i did at least 2 years ago or even better! Now the only thing i have now is i still feel slightly tired (sleepy) sometimes. I can however sit and watch TV in my recliner and stay alert and not doze off. Now keep in mind i am not using my APAP i stopped it a while back as it didn't solve my issues then. I used it for about 6/7 months. I am probably going to return to using it now once i get a nasal pillow mask and combine with my chin strap.

I suspect my issue was mouth breathing and my tongue falling back/throat blocking my air passage on inhale. I also think this is why i kept having nightmares about straining and being under duress.

For now it appears the chin strap is the game changer, i may try to get a better one thats more comfortable. I am just super excited to be back to normal!!!

Again thanks for the input from the community, great folks here!

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon May 14, 2018 1:41 am

One more thing - I would bet a lot that you sleep on your back (which normally produces more apneas). IF I'm right, I would make every effort to not do it, but learn to side sleep by experimenting with whatever works, like e.g. wearing a backpack stuffed with towels, and/or using a foam wedge pillow (you can Google those and find various things) behind you, between you and the wall (depending on your bed set-up) as the foam alone may not work as it can just get pushed by you in your sleep, etc. But I think it might help. I also wonder what your pressure settings are and if they're adequate.. do you know them? Don't try to gauge results by how your oximeter or machine are working while you're awake - the machine is designed to track your 'asleep' breathing patterns, and they're quite different from those you use when awake, so results won't be valid. I also wonder if you take meds, either for anxiety or otherwise, and what they would be, as some can interfere with sleeping... may need to either be changed or taken at a different time, etc.

And lastly, try Googling 'soft cervical collar'. It will keep your jaw closed, airway more open (because your head won't fall forward when sleeping if it does now) and many people find they're more comfortable than chin straps.