Carrie Fisher died of Sleep Apnea?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Re: Carrie Fisher died of Sleep Apnea?

Post by Guest » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:35 am

xxyzx wrote:
bwexler wrote:I suppose Carrie will need to go in for a polysomnogram now, to verify her sleep apnea.

What do you suppose the results could be?

I am guessing AHI=1.
WHICH shows why ahi is a meaningless surrogate statistic if yuo have any events >>10 seconds
that is purely brillant! and if you are on it check her heart rate too ... it might be too low!
Taht would prove the fact xxyzx always mentions: your heart rate is as important as your oxygen-levels. (better check them too)

these facts can't be denied! - xxyzx is right!

klv329

Post by klv329 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:54 am

Maybe drug induced sleep apnea that went untreated and became worse as the addiction worsened? Terrible way to go.

May the hose be with you.

49er

Post by 49er » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:36 am

xxyzx wrote:
Guest wrote:
xxyzx wrote:
bwexler wrote:I suppose Carrie will need to go in for a polysomnogram now, to verify her sleep apnea.

What do you suppose the results could be?

I am guessing AHI=1.
WHICH shows why ahi is a meaningless surrogate statistic if yuo have any events >>10 seconds
that is purely brillant! and if you are on it check her heart rate too ... it might be too low!
Taht would prove the fact xxyzx always mentions: your heart rate is as important as your oxygen-levels. (better check them too)

these facts can't be denied! - xxyzx is right!
========

as usual with you libtard trolls

the problem is excessively high heart rate caused by the low O2 when the heart tries to keep the brain supplied with enough oxygen

ahi never killed anybody
lack of O2 kills people
heart attacks kill people

too bad you arrogant assholes cant think logically
https://healdove.com/disease-illness/NF ... leep-Apnea

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:53 pm

From the linked article:

Sleep Apnea Can Lead To Early Death

According to Frisca Yan-Go, medical director of the UCLA Sleep Disorder Center at Santa Monica Hospital, sleep apnea is not itself a killer. But it has been found to be a major contributing factor to health risks that do kill, such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and stroke. People with untreated sleep apnea have a mortality rate three times that of those who don't have the condition
All posts reflect my own opinion based on my experience and reading.
Your mileage may vary
Past performance is no guarantee of future results
Consult with your own physician as people very

Midnight Strangler

Post by Midnight Strangler » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:08 pm

certifiedgenius wrote:apnea does not kill anyone
Guns don't kill people.

Bullets don't kill people.

It's the blood loss and organ failure.

robysue

Post by robysue » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:09 pm

Midnight Strangler wrote:
certifiedgenius wrote:apnea does not kill anyone
Guns don't kill people.

Bullets don't kill people.

It's the blood loss and organ failure.
+1

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:15 pm

klv329 wrote:Maybe drug induced sleep apnea that went untreated and became worse as the addiction worsened? Terrible way to go.

Also, consider the opposite. Perhaps she was trying to treat the symptoms of sleep apnea (depression, fatigue, etc.), with drugs; legal and/or illegal.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:38 pm

Kudos to Robysue for finding the Washington Post article.

From that we learned that the coroner did not determine the presence of Sleep Apnea based on her medical record. Thus it was determined from the autopsy and/or from the reports of witness to her last days (such as those on the plane and the medical staff that attended to her).

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:48 pm

D.H. wrote:
klv329 wrote:Maybe drug induced sleep apnea that went untreated and became worse as the addiction worsened? Terrible way to go.

Also, consider the opposite. Perhaps she was trying to treat the symptoms of sleep apnea (depression, fatigue, etc.), with drugs; legal and/or illegal.
Did the Flea bite the Dog or did the Dog bite the Flea? Only the Flea or Dog know for sure, but I'll bet the Flea started it. One thing for sure abusing drugs legal and/or illegal, is bad, and tends to stop breathing and or the heart, it doesn't cure Sleep Apnea but could make it worse. Anyway she is gone, she's not going to confirm what really happen, neither is anyone else. May the Force Be With Her, The End! Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

PST

Post by PST » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:31 pm

The fact that the autopsy report mentioned atherosclerotic heart disease as well as drug use suggests that perhaps sleep apnea triggered a serious arrhythmia like ventricular tachycardia. Many antidepressants can increase the chances of arrhythmia. Doctors try not to use such drugs in individuals with known heart disease if others can do the job. A drop in oxygen saturation can also trigger arrhythmia in a susceptible individual. I recall when I was first diagnosed, asking my doctor if I should fear sudden death if I was ever caught without my gear. He mentioned that although the ill effects of apnea (other than drowsiness) are almost all chronic rather than acute, in a rare and unlucky case a fatal arrhythmia could be the result due to falling oxygen saturation. It is easy to imagine an individual with a coronary artery disease, possibly undiagnosed, whose prescription medications predisposed her to arrhythmia, falling asleep on an airplane in an unfavorable posture and slipping into V-tach as her oxygen fell, ending with ventricular fibrillation and cardiac arrest.

Midnight Strangler

Post by Midnight Strangler » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:17 pm

Her doctors may have been too incompetent to know it, but sleep apnea was killing Carrie.
Fisher died on Dec. 27, four days after going into cardiac arrest on an airplane arriving at LAX from London. The report states that Fisher’s assistant was on the plane with her. The assistant reported that she was awake and normal at the beginning of the flight, but had “multiple apneic episodes, which was her baseline” during the flight. At the end of the flight, she could not be awoken.

Full article: http://news.opera-api.com/news/detail/8 ... 5b427fb33a
If she had been treating it all along with CPAP, she may not have felt the need for drugs.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:45 pm

Stephen Furst just recently passed at 63, "complications of diabetes".
I wonder if he had sleep apnea?

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:19 pm

Final:

Sleep apnea always sounds cleaner than /Drug User or Suicide! Sometimes Fame & Money isn't enough. Like I said, May The Force Be With You. R.I.P. Jim

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/peo ... 103008726/
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Arlene1963

Post by Arlene1963 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:48 am

Here is the full autopsy report (24 pages).

https://assets.documentcloud.org/docume ... utopsy.pdf

The initial diagnosis on admission was "respiratory and metabolic acidosis, most likely related to aspiration versus drug overdose". She was admitted into ICU where she was treated for electrolyte abnormalities and acidosis, until she went into cardiac arrest again several days later and this time she could not be revived.

Page 21 of the report states: 'Past medical history was documented as polysubstance abuse, bipolar disorder, severe sleep apnea and recurrent pneumonias. She used Abilify, Prozac and Lamictal, which were prescribed by her medical doctor. She also used oxycondone, which was not prescribed."

It goes on to say that her assistant with her on the plane reported that Fisher had multiple apneic episodes while sleeping on the long flight home, and that this was her "baseline"

A toxic mix.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:51 am

Drugs can work miracles, but . . .